Training Camp Starts 12 Sep 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Don't think the Sabres would trade for Biz - they already traded for a heavyweight guy in John Scott after Lucic destroyed Miller.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I honestly think Biz is more valuable for his off ice presence, especially in Phoenix. He brings more attention to the Yotes which means more revenue, regardless if he is playing every night. He is a borderline household name and is a great personality for a team that is 4th in popularity in the area.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I honestly think Biz is more valuable for his off ice presence, especially in Phoenix. He brings more attention to the Yotes which means more revenue, regardless if he is playing every night. He is a borderline household name and is a great personality for a team that is 4th in popularity in the area.

This is true, but I think winning and stability are ultimately what will provide long term popularity. I'm thinking the Bissonnette fad has peaked.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The Boedker with Ribeiro part.

I like Klesla too. We can't afford him. I meant AHL forward already with NHL upside. As in not a junior forward or draft pick. Somebody a little closer to the show.

Oh, I saw his comments after Boeds signed that went something like: he sees an open spot there with Ribs and that if he wants it it can be his for a long time and that he likes having that spot. He definitely never said flat out that he would be with Ribs, but I thought it was implied by the quote I saw.

However, he likely said both things.

rt

May 13, 2004
Petro is a hell of a defenseman, fair deal for both sides IMO

I'm just feeling good about the OEL contract, is all. I like OEL better. Petro has the better physical toolbox, but I like OEL's smarts more. Petro is like a six three OEL, but minus that special little intrinsic something that makes him utterly mistake proof.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh, I saw his comments after Boeds signed that went something like: he sees an open spot there with Ribs and that if he wants it it can be his for a long time and that he likes having that spot. He definitely never said flat out that he would be with Ribs, but I thought it was implied by the quote I saw.

However, he likely said both things.

What I took from that quote was that Boedker has as good a chance as any other wing on this team to benefit from flanking Ribs. As a result, re-signing here was attractive.

I took the Korpikoski to the top six thing pretty much the same way. Just typical vague GM speak. Like Korpikoski has every bit as good a shot at a top six role as anyone else who hasn't typically had a top six role in the past. Or basically just as good a shot as Moss, Latendresse, Brule, Klinkhammer, Brown, Lessio, Domi, Miele, or any of the rest of them.

These statements are pretty much accurate, but indicative of pretty much nothing. At least that's the way my ears heard the quotes. Haha. :)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm just feeling good about the OEL contract, is all. I like OEL better. Petro has the better physical toolbox, but I like OEL's smarts more. Petro is like a six three OEL, but minus that special little intrinsic something that makes him utterly mistake proof.

I agree. And even if Petro has the better physical gifts, OEL so far has been way more willing to play a physical game. OEL's three zone awareness is scary awesome - not to diminish Petro, but he's made some bad reads and pinches (especially last year) that I've yet to see from OEL.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
We all know that OEL is vastly superior to Pierre Angelo as a hockey player- different in painting history. Ah Renaissance but that was Michel.

OEL is cheaper.

Maloney is Sixtine Chapel gold.

bidzey*

I don't know how much you guys seen of Domi, but I'll bet he won't disappoint you guys. Don't let his size worry you either. One hell of a player.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

They are both really strong all around players. OEL however has two attributes that make him a better player. His stick work is second to none already and he does read the ice better. It's gonna be fun watching him play every night.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Totally agree, we made out pretty well with the OEL contract. Thankfully OEL is being subsidized with his hot underkläder money so he could cut us a break. :laugh:

If you look at the big 4 defensemen taken in the 2008 draft (Doughty, Bogosian, Petro, and Schenn), Petro was the only one who didn't immediately stick with his team, but he might have turned out the best of the bunch. I don't think you can ever go wrong by sending a defenseman back to junior or bringing him along slowly. That's why I like the way we've been developing Gormley even though he might have cracked other teams a while ago.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I've tried to be a good fan and come up with something good to add to this thread. Got nothing. There is always my Pulitzer-caliber essay, "Hulk Hogan vs. Sargent Slaughter: Pro-War Propaganda or Populist Critique of the Military-Industrial Complex?" But I'm not sure whether the wrestling belt will return this season.

Dudehama said:
If you look at the big 4 defensemen taken in the 2008 draft (Doughty, Bogosian, Petro, and Schenn), Petro was the only one who didn't immediately stick with his team, but he might have turned out the best of the bunch. I don't think you can ever go wrong by sending a defenseman back to junior or bringing him along slowly. That's why I like the way we've been developing Gormley even though he might have cracked other teams a while ago.
You're missing the vital point that neither of those men have their own Swedish underwears line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad