Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp Roster and Schedule

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think they should make the players earn the captaincy in a series of one on one physical challenges.

Calgary Flames Gladiators?

I’m thinking we grab a defenceman on the waiver wire
What? Why? We already have 8D that should be on the team. I think we could use a 13th forward though.

That said, I think Kylington will be back sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I'm kinda stupid and I don't fully get this. I get that Sutter didn't know who he was without looking at the clipboard (the interview comment), but I don't get the 22 comment (although I know it's his new number).

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I'm kinda stupid and I don't fully get this. I get that Sutter didn't know who he was without looking at the clipboard (the interview comment), but I don't get the 22 comment (although I know it's his new number).
Maybe I was missing something.. but I just assumed 22 was easier to remember. Is there more to this???

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe I was missing something.. but I just assumed 22 was easier to remember. Is there more to this???

I was going as far as wondering if it was a joke that 49 is too big of a number for Sutter to remember vs a smaller number like 22, but it didn't seem to completely make sense as an interpretation with the context I understood.

I didn't identify some type of word pun for English vs French either. Either I'm overthinking what he's saying, or it's not really apparent what the jab is.

Reactions: deleted user

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I know they say 22 differently than just "Deux" twice. But now I'm over thinking Deux Deux as a Huberdeau taking a crap reference.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know they say 22 differently than just "Deux" twice. But now I'm over thinking Deux Deux as a Huberdeau taking a crap reference.

Vingt-deux sounds like vendor. But I don't think there's anything there. I hadn't considered the deuce comment, but I'm not totally certain that's the joke here either.

I'm pretty sure it's a jab as the "what number was he again" interview comment, but beyond that I don't know.

Is there a source interview for that tweet to confirm the context? The joke might make more sense if viewed in its entirety of the conversation.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Poirier Pelletier is taking a dig at Sutter who pretended to not know not know who #49 was when asked his opinion by the press on how he played in his first game after Sutter made him sit, for multiple games for no good reason, in the press box. This of course was at a time when the Flames were desperately looking for scoring... thus the reason why Sutter kept playing snipers like Ritchie and Lucic over plumbers like Poirier Pelletier.
BTW, apparently Poirier Pelletier used to wear 22 when playing minor league hockey when he was a kid and his Grandmother always liked that number

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Poirier is taking a dig at Sutter who pretended to not know not know who #49 was when asked his opinion by the press on how he played in his first game after Sutter made him sit, for multiple games for no good reason, in the press box. This of course was at a time when the Flames were desperately looking for scoring... thus the reason why Sutter kept playing snipers like Ritchie and Lucic over plumbers like Poirier.
BTW, apparently Poirier used to wear 22 when playing minor league hockey when he was a kid and his Grandmother always liked that number

I assume you mean Pelletier, but thanks. I guess I was on the right track. It was just the tweet hinting at more that seemed to confuse me. :)

I assumed that was the joke where with Trevor Lewis' number, he'll get more playing time under the coaching regime. I just wasn't sure if there was more to it because of the regime change and the tweet seemed to signify some knee slap level one liner.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I assume you mean Pelletier, but thanks. I guess I was on the right track. It was just the tweet hinting at more that seemed to confuse me. :)

I assumed that was the joke where with Trevor Lewis' number, he'll get more playing time under the coaching regime. I just wasn't sure if there was more to it because of the regime change and the tweet seemed to signify some knee slap level one liner.
Yeah.. you're right. I meant Pelletier. I guess I had Poirier on my mind because I saw he wasn't in the lineup for last nights games or the Sunday game.

Reactions: Fig

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
What happened to Chechelev? I know he wasn’t great but he is super young no? Flames still have his rights. Where is he playing?

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Looking like he had a rough season in the ECHL last season. 3.58 .894 were the numbers in 42 games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What happened to Chechelev? I know he wasn’t great but he is super young no? Flames still have his rights. Where is he playing?
He's not playing anywhere as far as I can tell and he's hasn't really shown any improvement the last couple seasons. I think the Flames are unlikely to offer him a contract next year, so I suspect at some point he starts playing in a second tier European league.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The Flames announced today that they have assigned the following players to the Calgary Wranglers of the American Hockey League:

Clark Bishop (C)

Colton Poolman (D)

Oscar Dansk (G)

Ben Jones (C)

Brady Lyle (D)

Yan Kuznetsov (D)

Additionally, the Calgary Wranglers have signed defenceman Jonathan Aspirot to a standard AHL player contract.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who do we think ends up with the 4C role? Or do we think it might end up via committee? (ie: Dube, Ruzicka, Hunt, Rooney etc. taking turns)

Reactions: deleted user

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Who do we think ends up with the 4C role? Or do we think it might end up via committee? (ie: Dube, Ruzicka, Hunt, Rooney etc. taking turns)
I'm okay with trying Hunt there. I've really started to appreciate his steadiness from what I've seen.

Reactions: Fig

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Issue with Hunt is that he isnt great on faceoffs and by his own admission isnt the most comfortable there. I wouldnt mind Hunt - Schwindt - Duehr being the 4th line though. That line could skate and have some jam.

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad