Training Camp/Preseason games Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think the only issue with Kaliyev on Vilardi and Tkachev's line is they're missing the grind component. Andersson grinds and digs out pucks, AND he has soft hands around the net. It'll be interesting to see what the line looks like without that component.

Yeah the chemistry might be off a bit, all three are more go to the scoring area guys. Vilardi is quite good at digging pucks and getting possession along the boards, mostly because of his size. But to me that's a loss because he's extremely effective in from the high slot down and that is where you want him.

It could work with the right matchup, primarily against a smaller, faster group who doesn't check particularly well. Vilardi and Arty aren't speedsters, but once they got in the zone they could get some good possesion going.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Wow.. Just can't get rid of Wagner!! Uhhhh
I would have been absolutely shocked, but happy, if someone claimed him. He quick but that’s it and his finish the other night made me worry they might decide to give him another chance but thankfully not. I respect him in that he leaves it all out there every shift but between his limited game IQ and stone hands there are not many teams he’s have gotten this many games for. That should be him down in Ontario permanently now, because any call ups for injury cover now have to be from the prospect pool, surely!?

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think the only issue with Kaliyev on Vilardi and Tkachev's line is they're missing the grind component. Andersson grinds and digs out pucks, AND he has soft hands around the net. It'll be interesting to see what the line looks like without that component.

If Todd gives Vilardi more offensive zone starts, his line won’t have to try to go 200 ft to try to dig out pucks. You give some of Kopitar’s ozone starts to Vilardi and some dzone to Danault and Kopitar’s much fresher come February. Which we all know is his favorite month to go on a heater.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
If Todd gives Vilardi more offensive zone starts, his line won’t have to try to go 200 ft to try to dig out pucks. You give some of Kopitar’s ozone starts to Vilardi and some dzone to Danault and Kopitar’s much fresher come February. Which we all know is his favorite month to go on a heater.

That's a good point. As opposed to a typical team's 3rd Line being the shutdown line, we kind of have our 1st and 2nd Lines are shutdown lines with our 3rd hopefully able to crush softer minutes.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Kaliyev I think can also bring that element, he's 6'2" 210 now and has incredible hands, so he should be able to win a lot of battles in the corner.

I was gonna say the same thing, I also still think of GV as a Jason Allison type player.

Reactions: kingsfan28

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

It also might be the slowest line in the league…here is to hoping for a lot of Ozone starts!

That said, that line of it clicks, could be amazing, as all 3 have much better offensive instincts than most the Kings roster.

Edit: Seeing others already covered most of my points….oh well guess I’m not completely out to lunch!

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I've been browsing threads trying to get a jist on how Tkachev has performed in camp.

How has he looked overall?
On some lineup websites it has him on the first Pp unit, do you expect that heading into the opener?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I've been browsing threads trying to get a jist on how Tkachev has performed in camp.

On some lineup websites it has him on the first Pp unit, do you expect that heading into the opener?
That's the plan, operating from the left halfwall. Unfortunately the other personnel on the PP1 leaves a lot to be desired. We have a blueliner without a big shot, a netfront presence who moves out of the way on every shot, an overly patient perimeter player and a puck chaser with average hands and shot at best changing up with a player whose best attributes come on the rush.

Reactions: Caroline Says ll

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017

Olympics Feb 7- 22 and Slovenia didn't make the 2022 Olympics so Kopitar has selected his normal drought for March

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Has anything been said about Lias' injury time frame?

“Lias obviously didn’t skate today, so he’s not healthy, but we’re hoping that he’ll be ready to go on Thursday,” McLellan said. “He’s day-to-day.”

ActiveGraveApisdorsatalaboriosa-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Lt Dan

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

The short answer is "Vladimir Tkachev has outperformed everyone in camp". Overall, he skates well, great vision, patience, excellent passer, threads passes
just about wherever he wants...seen several through defender's legs. Good speed....does not take a lot of shots, but last game had the puck about 30 feet out
and stickhandled 3 times (Gibson was ready) and Vlad rifled it far side, just inside the post. He is on PP1 and gets several touches most every time.
He has backchecked well and looks fine defensively.

He's a legit talent. Just hard to say how much he will produce.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
For anyone having a bad day today... remember how a bunch of people completely wrote off this kid and now he's back to being that rink rat he always was. :thumbu:

Clearly you never played hockey. It’s the kid that wasn’t hustling enough at practice that has to pick up the pucks at the end…

;)

Reactions: RocketKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Remember when the bi-polar crew of this board had written him off before he ever played a single NHL game?

As the co-chair of the Gabe Vilardi fan club, I certainly remember. He "fell" to 11 only because of injuries, a lot of folks had him has a top five talent.

Here's the final ISS ranking from June 2017 with Gabe listed at 3: ISS Hockey Releases FINAL Rankings in 2017 ISS NHL Draft Guide

The Hockey Writers had him at 4: https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-final-consensus-rankings/

He still has all that potential. I've said it before but a first line center is still a possibility for Gabe.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
As the co-chair of the Gabe Vilardi fan club, I certainly remember. He "fell" to 11 only because of injuries, a lot of folks had him has a top five talent.

Here's the final ISS ranking from June 2017 with Gabe listed at 3: ISS Hockey Releases FINAL Rankings in 2017 ISS NHL Draft Guide

The Hockey Writers had him at 4: https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-final-consensus-rankings/

He still has all that potential. I've said it before but a first line center is still a possibility for Gabe.

I want to be co-chair as well, I bought his reverse retro jersey before his number change. Luckily Team LA was nice enough to change it to his 13. Always believed the kid was gonna be a gamer.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

It’s just so surprising all the medical professionals that post on here and decided he’d never recover were wrong, they were so certain that his back had completely disintegrated.

The issue with Gabe isn’t his back any longer, it’s about how much damage the loss of that precious development time did to his ceiling. Like you I think he still has a chance to hit something close to it and it hasn’t surprised me that it’s taken time for him to get to this point.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Needless to say I'm watching him with glee at this point and relishing that some others have to hatewatch him since we're supposed to call them when he plays a game in the NHL :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad