Training Camp/Preseason games Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If the Kings tank this year Blake better considering letting Edler and Brown move on. We are stuck with Danault - he will likely be the number one center if Kopitar retires unless Byfield, Turcotte or Vilardi takes it from him. Kopitar has three years left including this year, Quick has two.

I will reiterate the most exciting Kings game I have seen in years was the 6-3 pre-season game against the Ducks where we played all the kids.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What roster spots are starting to open? Theres actually less spots than last season because they brought in danault and arvidsson and resigned iafallo. JAD had a good year last year and a good enough camp and got pushed out. Kaliyev may make the team cause of injuries and he gets to play next to grinders on the fourth line. Then hell get sent down.
What has happened that makes you think any of the veterans are vulnerable? Zero other options were tried on the top two lines. Actually fagemo got a game there. He scored and then never saw a real game and that line went on to have zero points.

It's next year when things open up. Or should.

Brown and AA are UFAs. Kempe, Lemieux, Lizotte, Grundstrom, and Andersson are RFAs. Kempe being the big one there. If he doesn't put it together this year, do you invest more time and money into what will be a 26 year old who hasn't defined himself as a player yet when his next contract kicks in?

Brown and AA should likely be gone. Lizotte and Grundstrom. That's 4 that should be open no matter what. There's always using the $10m in space with those 4 out to improve the team too though.

Next year should be the year when a real wave of youth comes around.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If the Kings tank this year Blake better considering letting Edler and Brown move on. We are stuck with Danault - he will likely be the number one center if Kopitar retires unless Byfield, Turcotte or Vilardi takes it from him. Kopitar has three years left including this year, Quick has two.

I will reiterate the most exciting Kings game I have seen in years was the 6-3 pre-season game against the Ducks where we played all the kids.

Danault was never signed to be the 1C. At any point during his contract.

Assuming Kopitar is gone after 2024, he shouldn't even be the 1C until then to begin with, but if Danault is the 1C by then, something went very wrong.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It's next year when things open up. Or should.

Brown and AA are UFAs. Kempe, Lemieux, Lizotte, Grundstrom, and Andersson are RFAs. Kempe being the big one there. If he doesn't put it together this year, do you invest more time and money into what will be a 26 year old who hasn't defined himself as a player yet when his next contract kicks in?

Brown and AA should likely be gone. Lizotte and Grundstrom. That's 4 that should be open no matter what. There's always using the $10m in space with those 4 out to improve the team too though.

Next year should be the year when a real wave of youth comes around.
Brown is a top six spot that opens. AA isnt even on the roster yet and will have to fight for a spot himself. Lizotte and grundstrom are 13th and 14th forwards right now so those arent really spots.
The only open positions i see for next year are the 4th line center and first line right wing.
If andersson, kempe and tkachev play badly those middle 6 winger spots will be in play also. If those 3 play really well the team could do well this season.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not having empty spots is a strength, players get into better habits when they have to force their way onto a roster. I'm not really concerned, I think the days of paying dues and the link in this organization are over. When guys force their way on, spots will be made for them.

Reactions: David Lunch

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Brown is a top six spot that opens. AA isnt even on the roster yet and will have to fight for a spot himself. Lizotte and grundstrom are 13th and 14th forwards right now so those arent really spots.
The only open positions i see for next year are the 4th line center and first line right wing.
If andersson, kempe and tkachev play badly those middle 6 winger spots will be in play also. If those 3 play really well the team could do well this season.

I forgot about Tkachev being an RFA too.

That's potentially 8 spots open if everyone sucks or goes away. Kopitar, Danault, Vilardi, Arvidsson, Iafallo, and probably Moore. Other than that, I don't know if there's anyone else guaranteed to be around at this time next year. A lot of guys have a lot to prove.

If Kempe, Tkachev, and Andersson are legit players, then that's great, and I don't care if they block any prospects. Makes it easier to trade some for NHL talent.

Reactions: Schmooley

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
The Athletic panel puts Cal Peterson in the 3rd tier of goalies, 21st overall, avg 3.0 out of 5.0 with 1.0 best

Coming off a terrific world championship and in his sixth year as a pro, Petersen is the anticipated heir apparent to Jonathan Quick.
“I think he is on the verge of really, really showing what he can do,” a former goalie said of Petersen, 26. “I like his game. I like how he battles. He’s got a bit of a cockiness to him that is not on display all the time. But I can see it in the way he plays.”
“I was never sure about him, to be honest with you, but he’s developed nicely and it doesn’t surprise me because Bill Ranford’s so good in L.A. I don’t think there’s a better goaltending coach in the league than Billy Ranford,” a former league executive said.
And, naturally, others disagree.
“Not a big fan. I’m not a big fan,” a former goalie said. “There’s soooooo much work to be done there. I think he’s just a stopgap, personally. I don’t see him as the guy.”

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Im not extremely worried about Kopitar but I am worried because he's naturally just getting older and at this age, players can just completely fall off.

The only thing I hope Todd does is limit their icetime and roll four lines more evenly. The youth is where it's at if they want to win.

However Todd seems like an idiot so he will probably play Kopitar 25 mins a night.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Kopitar and Doughty will be like 40 and they’ll still try to put them out there for 25mins a night.

Coaches must view them as nfl running backs from the 90s. Just run the ball 40 times a game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Im not extremely worried about Kopitar but I am worried because he's naturally just getting older and at this age, players can just completely fall off.

The only thing I hope Todd does is limit their icetime and roll four lines more evenly. The youth is where it's at if they want to win.

However Todd seems like an idiot so he will probably play Kopitar 25 mins a night.

If TMc plays Kopi over 20 minutes a game for this season, he should be fired. With Danault on board Kopi should not be doing all of the heavy lifting. His PK time should be cut in half and his defensive zone starts should drop up to a handful of percentage points.

Reactions: Docgonzo

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think the only issue with Kaliyev on Vilardi and Tkachev's line is they're missing the grind component. Andersson grinds and digs out pucks, AND he has soft hands around the net. It'll be interesting to see what the line looks like without that component.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think the only issue with Kaliyev on Vilardi and Tkachev's line is they're missing the grind component. Andersson grinds and digs out pucks, AND he has soft hands around the net. It'll be interesting to see what the line looks like without that component.

Kaliyev I think can also bring that element, he's 6'2" 210 now and has incredible hands, so he should be able to win a lot of battles in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad