Training Camp/Preseason games Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Can we get all of the reports/images/video clips from training camp here in one neat place? Also, with so many attendees there are going to be lots of cuts and so on. It's easier to find all this stuff if it's not buried in the ongoing roster thread.

I'll start by sharing a shot I took of Kaliyev today without his makeup on.

He looks pretty good considering he's pushing 60!

Agreed on the camp thread. A couple links to kick us off:

Kings training camp: 20 observations from Day 1, including a Drew Doughty scouting report

Kings Training Camp Day 1: Player A, B, and C Groups

Something Has To Give Soon, Kings Players Headed to a Trade or Waivers

Day 1 Notes - Early Expectations, Summer Successes & New Guys + Lines, Notes & Updates - LA Kings Insider

https://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=383

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One interesting point to note: All the Kings are vaccinated.
Kings general manager Rob Blake said this week that the entire team had been vaccinated but that one player still needed to be two full weeks removed from his second shot. The player was not identified.

“He’s skating with the other group,” McLellan said. “He’s in a different locker room. He’s fully masked. … This isn’t something we fool around with. We’re taking what we feel are steps that are necessary to protect the group without losing the player. He’s a very important player to our team.

“He’s going to be a very important player. We wanted him to know he’s valued still. So we get him all the information. It’s going to be actually very quick before he’s involved with the whole group.”

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
live action shot of Kaliyev using his IQ to make things happen

22b53ea03b4de426c7c478aad9cb65a7.gif

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Can we get all of the reports/images/video clips from training camp here in one neat place? Also, with so many attendees there are going to be lots of cuts and so on. It's easier to find all this stuff if it's not buried in the ongoing roster thread.

Is he undead?!

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
At this point, Turcotte shouldn't be considered a 'dark horse.' He's a #5 pick where other players in his draft like Zegras and Caufield are already playing big minutes in the NHL.

But I agree in that he makes the big club out of camp and I can't wait.
You OK man? The last 5 posts I've seen from you have been borderline downers or very pessimistic. It's Friday, plan for some pizza and wings and maybe a tall cold glass of beer?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You OK man? The last 5 posts I've seen from you have been borderline downers or very pessimistic. It's Friday, plan for some pizza and wings and maybe a tall cold glass of beer?

How was my post pessimistic? I'm agreeing that Turcotte will make the team...is that negative now?

bland

Jul 1, 2004

He was really good as Mr. Carlson on WKRP, but man, when he diddled Dudley in the bike shop I lost all respect for him.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I don't see how Madden makes this team short of a training camp for the ages. To bad we can't have a shootout ringer sitting on the bench.

If the league had never added 3v3, it would've been pretty funny to see a DH-like position added for shootouts. I guess it would be DS for hockey. :laugh:

Reactions: kingsfan

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Usually who ends up on the roster is dictated by waiver eligibility. I think that will be the general strategy but it wouldn't surprise me if they deviated from that a bit.

Also, if another team has injuries and they make an offer for a guy in their mid-20's, I think it's more likely this year that a deal like that would go down. The team has lots of youth, is at 48 contracts, etc.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Usually who ends up on the roster is dictated by waiver eligibility. I think that will be the general strategy but it wouldn't surprise me if they deviated from that a bit.

Also, if another team has injuries and they make an offer for a guy in their mid-20's, I think it's more likely this year that a deal like that would go down. The team has lots of youth, is at 48 contracts, etc.
If this theoretically happened; I would have to imagine that it would be Kempe as a forward or Walker as a D

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The issue I have with the whole asset management thing is that some guys that get waived are worth nothing on the trade market. If no one will give you a 7th round pick for them then you are protecting an asset with zero value. So if you waive them and don’t expect to recall them then it really is a so whatever they are claimed. In fact right now it does us a favour, rather than them earning NHL money in the AHL.

It just makes zero sense to keep Kaliyev in the AHL to protect Wagner, if AK is ready - just an example. Whereas protecting someone like Andersson is a very different discussion.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The issue I have with the whole asset management thing is that some guys that get waived are worth nothing on the trade market. If no one will give you a 7th round pick for them then you are protecting an asset with zero value. So if you waive them and don’t expect to recall them then it really is a so whatever they are claimed. In fact right now it does us a favour, rather than them earning NHL money in the AHL.

It just makes zero sense to keep Kaliyev in the AHL to protect Wagner, if AK is ready - just an example. Whereas protecting someone like Andersson is a very different discussion.

Kaliyev and Wagner aren't competing for the same spot though. Kaliyev is competing with Brown, Kempe, Tkachev and Athanasiou.

Kaliyev isn't suited for 8 minutes with Lizotte and Lemieux, neither are any of the vets mentioned above. Its why re-signing Athanasiou is so puzzling - that's the logjam, not with the role players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad