Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp/Exhibition game talk (camp 7/13, exhibition games 7/28-7/30)

How many Avs players will opt out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh. Byram really wasn't that impressive at camp and Lindholm has NHL experience. It's a bigger factor than HF Fans want to believe.

It's not like either guy was ever going to play and we were in a tonne of trouble if Lindholm or Byram did get called upon anyways since at that point were down 3-4 Dmen above them. Neither guy is NHL quality at this point.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Meh. Byram really wasn't that impressive at camp and Lindholm has NHL experience. It's a bigger factor than HF Fans want to believe.

It's not like either guy was ever going to play and we were in a tonne of trouble if Lindholm or Byram did get called upon anyways since at that point were down 3-4 Dmen above them. Neither guy is NHL quality at this point.
Exactly, yeah. Especially the first part, but I thought Lindholm wouldn't even have to go.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Meh. Bednar preferring fringe depth guys to a young raw rookie is expected and all good. However, Lindholm blows.

True. Bednar values NHL experience.

It just would be nice for Byram to be around the team and soak up some knowledge from some of the other defenceman.

In terms of actual hockey it won’t really matter. Unless something horrible happens Byram/Lindholm won’t see any game action. There’s too many guys ahead of them.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Byram staying home is fine by me but don't we have anyone better than Lindholm?

Yes. Byram. Who is also better than Connauton and MacDonald too.

it’s your 10th D. Not like they play. Take the kid so he’s around the team and gets some ice time at practice.

Connauton is a Fing pylon out there. He’s atrocious. And he’s still better than Lindholm. Why the AHL vet favoritism I don’t know. It’s stupid.

yes Connauton has experience, at being a pylon for the Oil and Kings to eviscerate. Lindholm can be a smaller version of the same pylon.

Reactions: arun

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Any coach would, and should.

For sure it’s important.

I would argue that Lindholm’s time in the NHL has proven that he shouldn’t be playing in the NHL. But, Byram has never played out of junior hockey and I’m sure that will be a factor in the decision, if they go with Lindholm.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
6DEC6FA7-8FEE-4AFC-B05E-281F8EE3843B.png

Kadri got everyone on the team some Gucci sandals with their jersey # on them.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Please take Byram to Edmonton. When we sent him back to Vancouver last year, I think it really affected his confidence. Even if he doesn't play, it will still be good for him to be around the guys and build a rapport. Plus, there is no way he isn't a better option than Lindholm.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Please take Byram to Edmonton. When we sent him back to Vancouver last year, I think it really affected his confidence. Even if he doesn't play, it will still be good for him to be around the guys and build a rapport. Plus, there is no way he isn't a better option than Lindholm.
Right, get him hanging with the boys in Edmonton and then when he gets to camp for next season, it'll be an easier transition. There's some merit to that for sure, especially given it's between him and a through and through AHL guy in Lindholm.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Zadorov needs to invert Marchand for ruining Makar (probably temporarily)

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Any coach would, and should.

True.

Also, this is essentially just what starts to happen when you become a true cup contending team. Young guys have to wait a little longer to get that opportunity to play on contending teams largely because of how deep they are, and that's the same thing here with the Avs.

I mean, without having looked too much, how many teams in the playoffs this year have a #10 Dman like Lindholm who has over 60 games of NHL experience. For the majority of teams by the time you get to that 10th guy in the depth charts you're talking about guys with no NHL experience.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lindholm is unimpressive but he's not nearly as bad as people here seem to remember him. :laugh: He isn't a trainwreck, he's probably the safest 10th dman you can have.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
True.

Also, this is essentially just what starts to happen when you become a true cup contending team. Young guys have to wait a little longer to get that opportunity to play on contending teams largely because of how deep they are, and that's the same thing here with the Avs.

I mean, without having looked too much, how many teams in the playoffs this year have a #10 Dman like Lindholm who has over 60 games of NHL experience. For the majority of teams by the time you get to that 10th guy in the depth charts you're talking about guys with no NHL experience.
The more I discuss this, the more I'm realizing we're actually talking very deep in the depth chart. Must've kinda missed that. I do kinda wish Byram could hang around the team to be honest. It's a unique and weird opportunity to gel the team, I'd assume.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So they ran with a top-6 of

Burakovsky- MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Nichushkin

for pretty much all of camp. I wonder if they actually roll with that for the games. If Burakovsky is at his best, that top-6 could be pretty nasty. Especially if Landeskog and Kadri bring their playoff physicality.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I was really hoping that Byram would make the cut just so he could be with the team. Having Lindholm go to Edmonton is a waste of a spot IMO

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is Dater the only Avs covering media (outside of Altitude) that will be on site? The DNVR guys arent going, Clark doesn't sound like he's going either. Who's left? Chambers?

Edit: doesn't look like Chambers is going either. So it's Dater alone.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Is Dater the only Avs covering media (outside of Altitude) that will be on site? The DNVR guys arent going, Clark doesn't sound like he's going either. Who's left? Chambers?

Time for him to redeem himself a bit. We’ll see if he does.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I think they’re restricting media access inside the bubble to strictly NHL people. So, like NHL.com writers.

Unfortunately for Dater, I think they made that decision after he got to Edmonton.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Time for him to redeem himself a bit. We’ll see if he does.

I don't see what Dater can do to redeem himself. Will he suddenly ask smart questions, and report accurate facts? Will he get to the bottom of certain stories, like injuries or on-ice rivalries? I doubt it. I'm not even sure how being in Edmonton enhances his reporting ability. If Dater can manage to get in despite not writing for NHL.com, then he may redeem himself.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think they’re restricting media access inside the bubble to strictly NHL people. So, like NHL.com writers.

Unfortunately for Dater, I think they made that decision after he got to Edmonton.
Maybe someone at the NHL was like "Oh no is Adrian here? We better tighten things up a bit..."

Seriously though that really sucks for both him and fans. I'm sure he would have provided us with some good storylines and if nothing else just some more frequent Avs-centric updates and content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad