Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp/Exhibition game talk (camp 7/13, exhibition games 7/28-7/30)

How many Avs players will opt out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
But that’s the same thing as bringing 10 D. If we’re playing Connauton and Byram, things went so wrong it wasn’t our year anyway.
Ditto Bowers and Dries. no cup for us if injuries are that bad. I’d rather lose with Byram and Bowers than Lindholm and Hutchinson. Can’t fathom why the front office doesn’t feel the same way. If your “experience” is watching the Oil skate circles around your lousy a#%, then what good is that experience?
If we're down to our 10th defenseman chances are that the team we're playing against might be as well, and having a guy like Lindholm who has NHL experience would probably be better than another teams 10D.

I think it would be nice if Bowers and/or Byram got included, and that would make sense if the lineup stays mostly healthy. But from Bednar's perspective he's got to go with the best possible roster based on current ability/experience.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I thought you could carry goalies all you want?

Oh he's done.

They changed it shortly after announcing unlimited goalies because they needed a firm number for accommodations. It's 31 players, and 52 people total so the extra 21 are coaches, trainers, equipment guys, medical guys, media guy, GM, etc.

By the sounds of Bednar's post practice interview today, sounded like Bowers and Byram are getting cut. The other I would think is either Tynan or Werner (if they're that concerned with Hutchinson and want 4 goalies).

Dries had a good camp, O'Connor brings another right-hand shot, MacDonald can play both F and D, and Lindholm as more trusted than Byram.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I believe that was just for Phase 3 of the mini camp.

In Phase 4 at the bubble, they're limited to bringing 52 people, which includes 31 players.
They changed it shortly after announcing unlimited goalies because they needed a firm number for accommodations. It's 31 players, and 52 people total so the extra 21 are coaches, trainers, equipment guys, medical guys, media guy, GM, etc.

By the sounds of Bednar's post practice interview today, sounded like Bowers and Byram are getting cut. The other I would think is either Tynan or Werner (if they're that concerned with Hutchinson and want 4 goalies).

Dries had a good camp, O'Connor brings another right-hand shot, MacDonald can play both F and D, and Lindholm as more trusted than Byram.
Okay, I see.

Also, having Werner as a safety for Hutchinson is like having a guy with no arms, but then also another guy with no legs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sounds like Makar is not seriously injured, though I wonder what happened to him with so little recent play.

Just speculation on my part, but maybe a muscle strain or groin injury from pushing too hard in off ice workouts?

Reactions: McMetal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Makar isn't healthy for playoffs I think it's a huge mistake playing reliable Connauton over the "riskier" Timmins. Connauton can't run a powerplay and offers nothing to the team except being a warm body who is good for a mistake every two games. Timmins seems like a really smart, effective player at both ends of the ice. I read somewhere that Bednar was considering playing him right after he was drafted.

It's not a stretch to say that Timmins may even eclipse Makar and Byram. He might as well get his start in the round robin games if Makar is injured.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Makar isn't healthy for playoffs I think it's a huge mistake playing reliable Connauton over the "riskier" Timmins. Connauton can't run a powerplay and offers nothing to the team except being a warm body who is good for a mistake every two games. Timmins seems like a really smart, effective player at both ends of the ice. I read somewhere that Bednar was considering playing him right after he was drafted.

It's not a stretch to say that Timmins may even eclipse Makar and Byram. He might as well get his start in the round robin games if Makar is injured.

Makar’s fine. He practiced today.

Totally agree on Timmins. I’d have him as my first D up to play if there’s an injury.

Not sure I see Timmins eclipsing Makar, but I’d love to see it. The Avs would be in phenomenal shape moving forward.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Between the no info on injuries/COVID, only allowing NHL.com reporters in the bubble, and now the league breaking the rosters themselves, it's becoming pretty obvious that the NHL wants to control all info going in and out, and doesn't want this to be a very transparent process.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Between the no info on injuries/COVID, only allowing NHL.com reporters in the bubble, and now the league breaking the rosters themselves, it's becoming pretty obvious that the NHL wants to control all info going in and out, and doesn't want this to be a very transparent process.
Seems like an unnecessary level of control for the NHL to break the rosters when teams can do that themselves.

Reactions: MarkT

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I read somewhere (sorry, don’t remember exactly where) that there’s four independent reporters going to the hubs, two in each conference. After their quarantine, they can see their own team in the arena and none other, and they’re kept far from anyone else.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I read somewhere (sorry, don’t remember exactly where) that there’s four independent reporters going to the hubs, two in each conference. After their quarantine, they can see their own team in the arena and none other, and they’re kept far from anyone else.

If Dater is one, I must admit that I'm impressed with the big lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad