GDT: Training Camp and Scrimmages

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yea someone should definitely make a PGT or even a GDT soon. Cant wait to see that pop up in the threads again.

2 more days and hockey is back! My entire Saturday will consist of Hockey, and nothing else.

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
Did I miss the boat on commenting on Greg Zanon's beard?

Greg Zanon? More like Greg Zangief:
ZwDU0.png

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
According to the DP, Sacco says going with traditional 12-forward, 6-defencemen lineup against the Wild.

I'm excited for this. Get to see which defenceman is out of favour first. I bet Barrie is sitting for the first game until the coaching staff sees how incompetent the group is at moving the puck. Not sure the other one.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
According to the DP, Sacco says going with traditional 12-forward, 6-defencemen lineup against the Wild.

I'm excited for this. Get to see which defenceman is out of favour first. I bet Barrie is sitting for the first game until the coaching staff sees how incompetent the group is at moving the puck. Not sure the other one.

I would guess Hunwick and Barrie. Pretty stupid to have called Barrie up so he can sit in the press box.

Im hoping its Hunwick and Obrien, but it'll probably be Hunwick and Barrie.

Unless Wilson is hurt, maybe it ends up Wilson and Obrien.

Maybe EJ is sitting this one out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Sacco said they only started working on the PP the other day and the three defensemen he used were: EJ, Barrie, and Elliott. It's Sacco so you never know but I don't think he would have Barrie running the point during practice and then throw someone like Hejda/Wilson out there for the game.

EJ, Hejda, and O'Byrne are locks, Barrie should be in the line-up, and Hunwick is a lock for the press box. Unless O'Brien came into camp in horrible shape, I can't see him being a healthy scratch. Sacco and all the players love him. That leaves Wilson and Zanon. Wilson didn't practice the other day so I don't know what's going on with him but if he isn't hurt, then I think he'll play and Zanon will sit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would guess Hunwick and Barrie. Pretty stupid to have called Barrie up so he can sit in the press box.

Im hoping its Hunwick and Obrien, but it'll probably be Hunwick and Barrie.

Unless Wilson is hurt, maybe it ends up Wilson and Obrien.

Maybe EJ is sitting this one out.

Well Sacco was stupid enough to do it for a good portion last year.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Last season Game 1:
Mueller - Duchene - Hejduk
Kobasew - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Winnik
Galiardi - McClement - McLeod

This season Game 1 estimate:

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Hejduk-Mitchell-Downie
Bordelau-Olver-McLeod

Better first and second line, worse 3rd and 4th line. Defence remains largely unchanged, other than the hopeful progression of Johnson and Barrie. A little less defensive ability and grinding exchanged for more talent. Hard not to feel like this year's team is much better than last's, even with O'Reilly missing.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Last season Game 1:
Mueller - Duchene - Hejduk
Kobasew - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Winnik
Galiardi - McClement - McLeod

This season Game 1 estimate:

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Hejduk-Mitchell-Downie
Bordelau-Olver-McLeod

Better first and second line, worse 3rd and 4th line. Defence remains largely unchanged, other than the hopeful progression of Johnson and Barrie. A little less defensive ability and grinding exchanged for more talent. Hard not to feel like this year's team is much better than last's, even with O'Reilly missing.

I don't see this team as much better. Our current 3rd and 4th line are going to get eaten alive on the road where we don't get the matchups and without O'reilly and McClement our PK is going to blow.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't see this team as much better. Our current 3rd and 4th line are going to get eaten alive on the road where we don't get the matchups and without O'reilly and McClement our PK is going to blow.

We'll see. I've maintained all along that it's not going to be a big deal if we replace McClement on the PK with our best players.

At some point, your best players have to be your best players.

Since we don't get a lot of PP opportunities anyways (burn in hell refs:rant:) there really isn't a huge issue here. Stastny+Jones & Duchene+Landeskog is just fine on the PK.

The real issue is 5-on-5 because our team is built to have 3 scoring lines and I'm just not sure how Mitchell or Olver centering that line is going to work out.

Mike Santorelli put up 41 points 2 years ago with the Panthers and is on waivers...wondering if we have some options on that front if RoR remains unsigned.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well Sacco was stupid enough to do it for a good portion last year.

Point taken.... Someone tell me again why we hired that guy to be our coach for ANOTHER 2 years?

Here's to an 0-10 start so we can get a new coach, followed by a 30-6-2 record after our new coach is hired who actually knows what the game of hockey is.

member 116861

I'm going to try to make the GDT tonight. Hopefully I will finish but there are no guarantees that I will even complete it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad