Training Camp and Preseason thread 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
We went 1-5 back in 2013-2014 in the preseason with a veteran core and while learning a new system. We were terrible at the start of the regular season. Biron got retired. Real bad. Went on to reach the cup final. No panic here.
I was gonna say. They started off that regular season 3-7 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened this year. Western Canada trip included and all. It looks like it may be rough to start.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah don't now what to make of these guys yet. I like Lavi is absolutely shaking things up, but might take them a bit to find their identity under him. Could be an ugly first 12-15 games even if we win a handful of them and are fine.

Every game until they look good is going to feel like a measuring stick.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I do tend to think that if the team struggles this season and it seems like players are pushing back on the new coaching staff, I wouldn't be surprised to see Drury ship some big names out if he can do it.

If a player can't step back and see "hey this isn't working well enough, doing the same thing over and over isn't getting us results, we need to change our approach" and instead is frustrated they are being asked to do something a little different, then it's down to the GM to make those changes

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It's a long season. They were horrible to start the season AVs first year here and ended up going to the finals.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I do tend to think that if the team struggles this season and it seems like players are pushing back on the new coaching staff, I wouldn't be surprised to see Drury ship some big names out if he can do it.

If a player can't step back and see "hey this isn't working well enough, doing the same thing over and over isn't getting us results, we need to change our approach" and instead is frustrated they are being asked to do something a little different, then it's down to the GM to make those changes

Yeah even in that case we have President/GM Drury making changes. In other words, a total crap shoot (hi Buch) that favours grit and known quantities.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Weird that in a player thread skating speed isnt everything but in this thread we need skating speed. This board is bi-polar.😂
I mean, skating speed matters to an extent. But there are players who aren't super fast but because they're able to read the play and be in the right places it doesn't matter. Fox is an example. Perreault will be another. Stepan was one.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean, skating speed matters to an extent. But there are players who aren't super fast but because they're able to read the play and be in the right places it doesn't matter. Fox is an example. Perreault will be another. Stepan was one.
I understand but I feel you can only have so many slow to average skaters before your team is easy to play against.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Maybe Quick being bad will force us to get Halak and pay slightly more than we should and can eliminate any chance of having cap to sign Kane…
If we sign Kane, it will be to replace someone else on the roster. If he takes 800k, it won't matter how much cap space we have.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Jason Robertson.

underwhelming physically in every way but superb instincts and excellent release

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
All of those guys can make and receive passes.

You can't be slow on your skates and also not be able to distribute the puck.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I understand but I feel you can only have so many slow to average skaters before your team is easy to play against.
Agree. We are too slow as a team and that's been an issue for a while now. I think the last time I remember us playing with speed was Quinn's first season. When the team was playing hot before the lockdowns.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Agree. We are too slow as a team and that's been an issue for a while now. I think the last time I remember us playing with speed was Quinn's first season. When the team was playing hot before the lockdowns.
I agree with that. We had a lot of fast borderline elite skaters under AV. Over the years we got rid of almost all our elite skaters other than CK who rarely uses his speed anymore.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Kane should go to Buffalo, they have the most money to offer. If it falls apart, he gets traded, seems like a win-win for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad