Training Camp and Preseason thread 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_3776.gif

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I didn't think this core would win a Cup, and I still don't. The caveat to that would have been the 1 or 2 overall draft picks taking off and transforming this roster and giving it the kick up the arse it needs.

We can all waffle on about to what extent, however, I think the vast majority of people would agree they have both been extremely underwhelming.

Our seemingly endless inability to develop high end forwards continues to be thoroughly perplexing.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
We will see. This time the coach needs to have a noticeably different impact/approach than either of Gallant/Quinn. Lavi definitely has been around and should hopefully implement some systemic changes that benefit our team.

Unfortunately, as every year, I worry that it isn’t necessarily the personnel nor the coach that’s the problem, but the NYC country club and complacent attitudes it breeds that is the problem. Almost every player seems to come here, peak high under the NYC lights, and then get very comfortable and begin to decline in a way that looks a lot like complacency.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Every new coach is "hopefully" the guy that gets the most out of these players

Lav won't either because a coach can only do so much.

It's on the players & unless the kids blow up & the vets bring it in the post season, we're well on our way to another fake rebuild.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Should be an interesting season.
We were pretty lucky to get the the ECF 2 seasons back, but also a bit unlucky (some horrendous games aside) from not getting out of the first round last season.
None of our older players are at the age where you'd expect them to seriously decline, and there's still room for lots of improvement with the youth.
How much use we can get out of our backup goalie will be intriguing..

Assuming no serious injuries I'd expect us to make the playoffs and get out of the first round (pending match-ups), everything from there is a crap-shoot

Reactions: deathb4disco

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Should be an interesting season.
We were pretty lucky to get the the ECF 2 seasons back, but also a bit unlucky (some horrendous games aside) from not getting out of the first round last season.
None of our older players are at the age where you'd expect them to seriously decline, and there's still room for lots of improvement with the youth.
How much use we can get out of our backup goalie will be intriguing..

Assuming no serious injuries I'd expect us to make the playoffs and get out of the first round (pending match-ups), everything from there is a crap-shoot

First round matchup with Carolina or Jersey will be tough.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Larry seems to think so…

The hard cap acts as a restraint in assembling rosters. But the cap does not apply to off-ice personnel. Under Drury, and with chairman Jim Dolan’s encouragement, the Blueshirts are finally flexing their financial might by beefing up the back of the house.

FFS... took them long enough.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
yep....tough for Carolina or Jersey.

Absolutely no reason to think we wont be right there with them.

I find the fear over those 2 teams extremely misplaced. We beat the Canes head to head 2 years ago and still took Jersey to 7 games last year despite the entire team, sans Igor, playing horribly. Both teams have major goalie issues. The hype around Schmid is funny to me considering how he got destroyed in Round 2 by Carolina. Everyone forgets that because the Devils get sympathy points for beating the "fraudulent" Rangers. Winning one playoff round makes them Cup contenders to the national media I guess. Spare me.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lav has a good history of getting teams to play good hockey and have success especially early on, but I’ve been burned before (Gallant) so I want to see how he does with our guys.

If Lav can’t get these dudes to play good team hockey then we’ve officially got a lemon and need to rebuild the core .

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I find the fear over those 2 teams extremely misplaced. We beat the Canes head to head 2 years ago and still took Jersey to 7 games last year despite the entire team, sans Igor, playing horribly. Both teams have major goalie issues. The hype around Schmid is funny to me considering how he got destroyed in Round 2 by Carolina. Everyone forgets that because the Devils get sympathy points for beating the "fraudulent" Rangers. Winning one playoff round makes them Cup contenders to the national media I guess. Spare me.

I’m with you 1000%

The amount of water I see being carried for NJ around here and every other social media outlet is annoying.

They have a VERY bright future and I can see them being a pain for a long time, but it won’t be this season. Too much roster turnover, all that chemistry has to be rebuilt. No Brunette who just so happened to be there for their first good season in like a decade. Lofty expectations, no longer the under dog which adds pressure. Several key players got paid, no longer playing for a contract. I can keep going.

I’ll take the Rangers all day. I was always the negative Nancy NY fan in my social circle, but this board puts my pessimism to shame sometimes.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I didn't think this core would win a Cup, and I still don't. The caveat to that would have been the 1 or 2 overall draft picks taking off and transforming this roster and giving it the kick up the arse it needs.

We can all waffle on about to what extent, however, I think the vast majority of people would agree they have both been extremely underwhelming.

Our seemingly endless inability to develop high end forwards continues to be thoroughly perplexing.
I agree they have been underwhelming, but I would also say that the Rangers developed high end forwards in Kreider and Zibanejad.

I honestly think Laf and Kakko should have spent some time in the AHL

Reactions: leetch99

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I agree they have been underwhelming, but I would also say that the Rangers developed high end forwards in Kreider and Zibanejad.

I honestly think Laf and Kakko should have spent some time in the AHL

I’ll keep harping on this, but Zibanejad developed because he had no one blocking him. Stepan and Brassard were gone, only center he had to worry about was Hayes.

It took a couple of season but feeding him top minutes and power play worked, like it does in almost all cases .

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I’ll keep harping on this, but Zibanejad developed because he had no one blocking him. Stepan and Brassard were gone, only center he had to worry about was Hayes.

It took a couple of season but feeding him top minutes and power play worked, like it does in almost all cases .
Stepan and Hayes were both on the team when he was acquired. Stepan put up 55 points that season and I think Zib missed time with injury.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Gallant was the right hire/personality for this team at the time, and it showed with the results overall.

But as his tenure wore on, not only did it point out Gallants shortcomings but also this groups mental frailty at times. How can we forget the early season meltdown this team endured culminating with Trouba's helmet tossing?

This group of guys needs not only someone who actually has a system and can adjust the x's and o's, but someone who can light a fire under them emotionally at the right time. Kinda the same for any team - but this team hit a wall against the Lightning and Gallant seemed rather ho-hum about getting ousted. That could just be his personality but i didnt see any balls to the wall speeches coming from him in the time of need. I hear that Lav can produce those moments.

Might be what the doctor ordered for such an introspective core group of players here. They are an intelligent group and maybe he can be clever enough and understand how to tap into them that way. He's been around the block. We shall see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad