Training Camp and Preseason Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

Garon didn't screw the pooch, he got screwed by it. Same old Garon

KingKopitar11*

Cause it's clear you know nothing of goaltending. Wanna keep pretending?

Well watching games when a goalie is pulled the back up usually closes the door. I've seen a ton of goalies perform well being cold.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
fickle? Did you see how terrible Nolan was last year? Looks like he got it figured out this summer and I love how he's playing now.

So one down year and everyone wants him traded? And I think his bad year was greatly overblown. Yes, he was bad. But he was far from being as bad as other players we've had in the past.

My point is - one short season made this entire board turn on him. I just don't get that.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
So one down year and everyone wants him traded? And I think his bad year was greatly overblown. Yes, he was bad. But he was far from being as bad as other players we've had in the past.

My point is - one short season made this entire board turn on him. I just don't get that.

The bad short season amounts to more time than his good play, I see nothing wrong with being apprehensive about him.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Well watching games when a goalie is pulled the back up usually closes the door. I've seen a ton of goalies perform well being cold.

Point is you've NEVER done it. Period. It's incredibly hard. The fact you think I'm making excuses for Garon is actually hysterical. Yes, sometimes a goalie can come in cold and shut the doors. But you're going from sitting on the bench, facing zero shots, not having any timing or rhythm, reflexes are off, and you're not mentally in it, and then you have to face some of the best hockey players in the world.

The bad short season amounts to more time than his good play, I see nothing wrong with being apprehensive about him.

I'd say it lends more to giving Jordan a break. He has yet to play a full season in the NHL. He had one half(ish) year where he was great and we won the cup. And last year he was mediocre at best. To me, I call that a wash. And frankly I see no better option we had for 4th line RW than Nolan. He brings so many different facets to the game.

Him and King have both had great preseasons. Now hopefully they can translate that in to regular season success.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
:laugh:

Buncha people who know JACK about goaltending. YOU come in to a game cold.

I know a bit about the position, Mat G has been done as far as the NHL is concerned for some time now.

Cold or not he has no lateral movement, his alignment is off and he is slow to out spot positioning which makes him have to try and recover more quickly then he is capable of doing and as such has him giving up big rebounds not to mention his puck control is awful.

I mean cold or not he is an NHL Goalie and should never be as off as he has been. He hasn't had a good camp or at least not as good as he should have. That is what I am seeing anyways.

I do agree that you can't judge a player by one outing especially a goalie.

KingKopitar11*

Point is you've NEVER done it. Period. It's incredibly hard. The fact you think I'm making excuses for Garon is actually hysterical. Yes, sometimes a goalie can come in cold and shut the doors. But you're going from sitting on the bench, facing zero shots, not having any timing or rhythm, reflexes are off, and you're not mentally in it, and then you have to face some of the best hockey players in the world..

I don't have to be a goalie to know that, watching a lot of games you see it for yourself. Honestly I've seen it happen more where a cold goalie actually did good and controlled the game. Also I've seen cold goalies do worse less.

I know you're a goalie so it must be a habit for you or something, but I don't know, watched too much hockey to say that it's because he was cold that he let in those goals. Garon does suck and he has when we started him. So i think it's more of him being a bad goalie than cold.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I don't have to be a goalie to know that, watching a lot of games you see it for yourself. Honestly I've seen it happen more where a cold goalie actually did good and controlled the game. Also I've seen cold goalies do worse less.

I know you're a goalie so it must be a habit for you or something, but I don't know, watched too much hockey to say that it's because he was cold that he let in those goals. Garon does suck and he has when we started him. So i think it's more of him being a bad goalie than cold.

It would've been really nice if the game was televised so I could actually watch it. But you guys all just jumped down Garon's throat coming in cold to a game. If he really has sucked, so be it. He'll be gone if that's the case and it will be a non issue. But you simply CAN'T discredit coming in cold as an excuse. It takes time to feel the puck out and get on top of your game and if you get off to a rocky start like Garon did in this game, it can take much longer. The best thing a team can do for a goalie coming in to a game cold is force all shots from the outside while he gets warm. Tough task but if you CAN do it, it really helps.

KingKopitar11*

It would've been really nice if the game was televised so I could actually watch it. But you guys all just jumped down Garon's throat coming in cold to a game. If he really has sucked, so be it. He'll be gone if that's the case and it will be a non issue. But you simply CAN'T discredit coming in cold as an excuse. It takes time to feel the puck out and get on top of your game and if you get off to a rocky start like Garon did in this game, it can take much longer. The best thing a team can do for a goalie coming in to a game cold is force all shots from the outside while he gets warm. Tough task but if you CAN do it, it really helps.

I disagree with almost all you just said. Agree to disagree.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Frattin has been excellent all preseason. I'm really excited for him this year. He's scored a ton of points this preseason on that line.

Agreed. Not the easiest thing to come to a new team, learn a new system and adjust to new linemates and to playing on your off wing . In the limited time they've had to play together, they've done well . It takes time to develop chemistry and as the early season moves along, they'll only get better.
But I didn't expect him to look this comfortable this early.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Agreed. Not the easiest thing to come to a new team, learn a new system and adjust to new linemates and to playing on your off wing . In the limited time they've had to play together, they've done well . It takes time to develop chemistry and as the early season moves along, they'll only get better.
But I didn't expect him to look this comfortable this early.

Exactly. I was apprehensive with the deal thinking he was a pure 3rd line guy but he seems to click very well with Carter and Richards. Should provide to be a HUGE upgrade over Penner.

scryan

May 1, 2013

This is what gets me with sports.
All of a sudden being a fan means blind support reguardless of performance?

I am a fan of skill first, the Kings second... I am a fan of the Kings because of the skill they have on the bench.

The community is not a person, and does not have a singular opinion. Last year Nolan played poorly... So some people said so.
This preseason he has been playing much better... So some people pointed that out too.

Is it fickle that some years he plays better and some worse?
It is possible for some people to be for him, and some against... While he shines those for him plenty to talk about, and they do. While he plays bad those who dislike him have plenty to talk about... and they do. It all makes sense really, what else are you expecting?

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
I see Hasenfratz and Larue are the referees. Weren't they the two refs when the Kings and Aves has a crazy game a few years ago at Staples?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Uh oh

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 5m
Willie Mitchell showed discomfort in his knee after some battling in his own zone and headed to the L.A. bench

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 5m
I should say that it appeared to be his knee - or leg.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 4m
Again, might not have been Mitchell's knee. Was lower body. He's skating and testing it in his own end during a TV timeout.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 1m
Mitchell took a quick shift. Looks like he's battling through it...

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
This is what gets me with sports.
All of a sudden being a fan means blind support reguardless of performance?

I am a fan of skill first, the Kings second... I am a fan of the Kings because of the skill they have on the bench.

The community is not a person, and does not have a singular opinion. Last year Nolan played poorly... So some people said so.
This preseason he has been playing much better... So some people pointed that out too.

Is it fickle that some years he plays better and some worse?
It is possible for some people to be for him, and some against... While he shines those for him plenty to talk about, and they do. While he plays bad those who dislike him have plenty to talk about... and they do. It all makes sense really, what else are you expecting?

I'm far from blindly supporting him. But to me, to have nearly an entire fan base want a player to be traded after one bad year and while that player is still young and can turn it around is crazy. I GET that he had a bad year. I'm far from denying that. But one bad year justifies a trade? If it's a highly paid player who doesn't fit, then maybe I get it. But Nolan has all the tools we need to fit our system and be an effective player on the 4th line. And we trade that after one bad year?

It'd be different if it was like you tried to describe in your last paragraph. The problem I have is that after his first year, everyone loved him. Him, King, and Carter marked a change in our offense and the forwards started to pick it up. But then one bad year later and they all are calling for his head. It wasn't a case of his fans supporting him the first year and then his haters booing in the second. People completely changed their opinions on him as a player off of one HALF of a bad season.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Bleh..bye bye Garon! Scrivens has played well in the two games I listened in on. It sounded like he kept the Kings in the lead only to lose when the backup comes in. Scrivens is our backup!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 2m
Mitchell's injury doesn't appear to be serious. Sutter: "Blocked a shot. No big deal. It was the only shot we blocked tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad