GDT: Training Camp 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I dont think the goaltending will be questionable. I think we're going to see some decent consistency.

I actually feel pretty comfortable with Skinner as the backup. I have generally liked what I have seen from Campbell. I think he will be an upgrade on Smith. I think hes a bit more consistent. That being said, I am worried about his durability. Pickard did look pretty good though. So nice to at least have a goaltender with some NHL experience incase there is an injury.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Shore is an ultimate team guy. Good leadership by Draisaitl.

But I feel like the sentimental stuff is what is going to keep Shore up when theres players who are probably better than him, not playing. (Which is compounded further with a 21 man roster). Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Our fourth line will barely play. And I am sure that guys will separate themselves as the season goes on and of course there will be injuries.

I've got time for Shore as a 13th guy. He's not as fleet of foot anymore, but he's decently safe with the puck, every once in a while can thread a cross crease pass for a tap in and he's a good PK guy.

I really don't get the negativity he seems to attract. He would be a stabilizing influence on any "energy" fourth line. The problem is that we don't have one of those, and Ryan is more stable (and quicker) in that complementary forward role.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I've got time for Shore as a 13th guy. He's not as fleet of foot anymore, but he's decently safe with the puck, every once in a while can thread a cross crease pass for a tap in and he's a good PK guy.

I really don't get the negativity he seems to attract. He would be a stabilizing influence on any "energy" fourth line. The problem is that we don't have one of those, and Ryan is more stable (and quicker) in that complementary forward role.

Yeah I like him as the #13/14 guy as well. But hes likely to be playing over guys who I think are better (Janmark) and potentially other guys (Kostin, Benson, etc). Its not a big deal like I said really. Its not Shores fault that the cap situation in the NHL sucks due to the pandemic.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah I like him as the #13/14 guy as well. But hes likely to be playing over guys who I think are better (Janmark) and potentially other guys (Kostin, Benson, etc). Its not a big deal like I said really. Its not Shores fault that the cap situation in the NHL sucks due to the pandemic.

Janmark scores at 1.6pts/60 pace and was more or less a saw-off in oiGF vs oiGA at around 2.6/2.5.
Shore is right in the same ballpark with 1.5pts/60 and 2.7/2.9.

Kostin is worth a look and Benson I have hope for given a strong camp, but he struggled mightily to keep his head above water last year. Here were his numbers: 0.5pts/60, 1.5 oiGF, 2.9 oiGA.

In short... we know what we have in Shore and it isn't terrible. We don't know what we have in Kostin (small sample size, but numbers similar to Janmark & Shore) and we don't know what we have in Benson, but last year it was terrible.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Janmark scores at 1.6pts/60 pace and was more or less a saw-off in oiGF vs oiGA at around 2.6/2.5.
Shore is right in the same ballpark with 1.5pts/60 and 2.7/2.9.

Kostin is worth a look and Benson I have hope for given a strong camp, but he struggled mightily to keep his head above water last year. Here were his numbers: 0.5pts/60, 1.5 oiGF, 2.9 oiGA.

In short... we know what we have in Shore and it isn't terrible. We don't know what we have in Kostin (small sample size, but numbers similar to Janmark & Shore) and we don't know what we have in Benson, but last year it was terrible.
2.5 and 2.9 aren’t the same

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
You're a great poster so it kind of sucks I'm replying this yo your post 😊 I see what you mean, but it's 2,5 years since the start of the pandemic so I think every team has had time to adjust to the cap as it is. This applies to the Oilers too, there's been plenty of moves during these years so I think it's rather a decision to use all the cap ar this stage. Nothing wrong in that and they can always move someone out if needed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Love it. Smart decisions by the Org. I thought Shore showed more than enough to make the club and I’m glad Woody saw it the same. If he saw it any different I’d be suspicious of Woodys bias towards his AHL guys. Guess Woody didn’t look into the advanced analytics on Shores 5 mins of 4th line ice time.

Broberg obviously needs more time playing 1st pair d-man in the A.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can’t believe O’Neill predicted that the Oilers would win the Cup.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Broberg will still get in around 50 NHL games this year due to injuries. He's close but I wouldn't trust him on anything higher then the 3rd pairing this year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Was there any mention of Nemo?

Is the team going to keep Malone up?

I would imagine Niemo is coming back up, unless Demers is signed for the PB (and it looks like he's getting a PTO with Bakersfield instead).

Zero chance they run with only 6 defencemen to start the year. Especially when one of them is Ryan Murray, who makes paper mache look durable.

Still I think Shore and Ryan will have warms seats to start the year. The Oil have decent bit of depth competing for those spots with Janmark, Benson, Kostin, and even Malone, McKegg, and Hamblin all nipping at their heels.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Broberg will still get in around 50 NHL games this year due to injuries. He's close but I wouldn't trust him on anything higher then the 3rd pairing this year.
I’m not sure he’s close.

He needs to spend the entire AHL season doing the Bouchard lessons: gaining position on the opponent and winning puck races and battles.

Until he can go into a puck battle and not look like he’s holding on for dear life, he’s not really ready yet.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’m not sure he’s close.

He needs to spend the entire AHL season doing the Bouchard lessons: gaining position on the opponent and winning puck races and battles.

Until he can go into a puck battle and not look like he’s holding on for dear life, he’s not really ready yet.
He doesn’t look very close to me but you never know with players that age, sometimes it just clicks.

But yeah I wanna see him really controlling things down in Bakersfield. Run the PP, PK, play big minutes.

Kinda sucks he won’t have Manson down there but hopefully the new staff is good, because the roster looks great.

Reactions: AM and McBooya42

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He doesn’t look very close to me but you never know with players that age, sometimes it just clicks.

But yeah I wanna see him really controlling things down in Bakersfield. Run the PP, PK, play big minutes.

Kinda sucks he won’t have Manson down there but hopefully the new staff is good, because the roster looks great.
I think that’s usually a mental thing where it suddenly clicks. With him I think it’s actually more physical.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Technically if Murray gets hurt... Oilers are so tight to the cap that I don't think they can afford to call up Broberg... has to be a near minimum guy like Niemo... unless of course they send a guy like Shore down and swap out for someone like Benson/Klostin as well.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
2.5 and 2.9 aren’t the same

Great insight... I think we can agree they are a far cry from 1.5, right? Which was the broader point.

Janmark is 2.6 oiGF and 2.5oiGA for a net +0.1. Shore is 2.7 oiGF and 2.9 oiGF for a net -0.2. On different teams. With different utilization. But it's at least arguable that they are in the same territory as replacement level NHLers.

Benson (which is where I was making the comparison) is 1.5oiGF and 2.9oiGA, for a net - 1.4!!! Playing on the same team, usually same linemates, as Shore. Last year he was not NHL level and it showed.

I still think Benson has more to give, but we are right to be very cautious about this guy and Shore has at least proven that he's (barely) an NHLer. Benson still needs to show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad