Training Camp 2021

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Interested in Parssinen thoughts if anyone has any.

Ehh, I think he's got some growth to go. He struggled trying to transition the puck. He seemed to win puck battles and hold possession in the corners but he couldn't get it moving back to his own zone. I tried to key in on him but overall he wasn't very noticeable.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Really surprised that Florida has played so many top players today.
Announcers alluded to the notion that Fla weren’t looking at players since they had 4 great to good lines and could probably ice a 5th and 6th line that could be many team’s 4th if not 3rd line. Well, they’re announcers and I’m paraphrasing but there’s a lot of truth in that Preds are looking at and evaluating many players and Fla is getting their set players ready. Two different strategies for these games.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Those who watched the game. What are your thoughts on Tomasino? I don't think he's quite there yet. He's going to get there, but I'm still in the patience category with him.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Those who watched the game. What are your thoughts on Tomasino? I don't think he's quite there yet. He's going to get there, but I'm still in the patience category with him.
Whether he's ready or not I'll reserve judgement on but he definitely looked nervous or whatever you want to call it. He couldn't handle the puck the way he's obviously used to and I think that threw him off early in the game. If that continues over the next couple weeks he'll be starting the year in Milwaukee for sure.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I was disappointed in Grimaldi. I don't expect much from him and honestly never really been a fan of his but even with my low expectations he managed to disappoint.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I simply cannot evaluate much of anything on a streamed presentation with opponent coverage. I trust the team coaches and their videos will do better than me. I couldn’t tell much about Tomasino nor Glass and I really tried.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I simply cannot evaluate much of anything on a streamed presentation with opponent coverage. I trust the team coaches and their videos will do better than me. I couldn’t tell much about Tomasino nor Glass and I really tried.
I did notice that Glass had some speed a couple times. It stood out to me because all we heard at the time of the trade was that he was too slow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I did notice that Glass had some speed a couple times. It stood out to me because all we heard at the time of the trade was that he was too slow.
Any other thoughts on how he looked? He's a guy I'm always gonna cheer for to be successful.

Dude deserved way better than the way Vegas treated him. Hope he blossoms into a star for you guys.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hi, guys.

Have drafted some of Nashville guys in a keeper league.

Would like to know the actual positions used lately (like last practise game) for these guys:

Tanner Jeannot, is he LW or RW?
Rem Pitlick, is he C ?
Nick Cousins? Center or winger?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Any other thoughts on how he looked? He's a guy I'm always gonna cheer for to be successful.

Dude deserved way better than the way Vegas treated him. Hope he blossoms into a star for you guys.
Unfortunately, with poor stream quality and watching on a small screen it was hard to tell who was out there all the time. But, check back later, I'm sure he'll be a major topic of conversation.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Hi, guys.

Have drafted some of Nashville guys in a keeper league.

Would like to know the actual positions used lately (like last practise game) for these guys:

Tanner Jeannot, is he LW or RW?
Rem Pitlick, is he C ?
Nick Cousins? Center or winger?

Jeannot on RW
Pitlick at Center
Cousins on LW

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Didn't Jeannot play almost exclusively LW last season on Jeannot - Sissons - Trenin?

Cousins started last year more at LW but ended more at RW.

Pitlick, hard to say as he's had such limited time with the pro team, initially he was slotted RW to break in for a few games, but I think overall he's a Center and the expectation is that if he makes it full time he would be a 3C

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Didn't Jeannot play almost exclusively LW last season on Jeannot - Sissons - Trenin?

Cousins started last year more at LW but ended more at RW.

Pitlick, hard to say as he's had such limited time with the pro team, initially he was slotted RW to break in for a few games, but I think overall he's a Center and the expectation is that if he makes it full time he would be a 3C

Yup. I would say none of them are going to be consistent. I just noted what they have played in practice for a solid 3 days in September training camp. I wouldn't carry much weight on any of it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thought Tolvanen, Glass, and Kunin line was pretty good. They caught Ekblad and Weegar often it felt like. The Jeannot, Pitlick, Trenin looked really good as well. Those 2 can cycle so well, but I thought Pitlick added a little speed and skill element to their zone entries.
That's interesting to hear. Because I didn't watch the game... just reading the boxscore Glass's zeroes and -2 didn't look all that great.

Interesting that we didn't play our top vets. Split squads, but even still FLO balanced their top players across their two teams, and NONE of ours played at all? Kinda strange. But I guess it helped get our kids more of a look. :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
That's interesting to hear. Because I didn't watch the game... just reading the boxscore Glass's zeroes and -2 didn't look all that great.

Interesting that we didn't play our top vets. Split squads, but even still FLO balanced their top players across their two teams, and NONE of ours played at all? Kinda strange. But I guess it helped get our kids more of a look. :dunno:
I thought the same thing about the lack of vets for the Preds but it really does make sense to get the younger players a better evaluation from the coaches and give them a chance to have more responsibility against NHL competition.

All things considered I thought the Preds teams made a good showing. The first game with so many promising/hopeful youngsters played to a tie game even after giving up a two goal lead. In the second game the bottom six/bottom pairing veterans weren't great but we shouldn't expect them to be especially playing against Florida's top line.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josi, Johansen, Duchene, Forsberg, Granlund, Ekholm and maybe even Saros sat out game play until the preseason home opener next weekend. Put the kids and fringe players in position to show what they can do in top six / middle six positions rather than burying them on 3rd and 4th lines ... get them out on special teams ... then use the last few games to test things in game situations amongst the most likely players.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
L'Heureux, Prokop and Matier back to their junior teams.
When there is literally ZERO chance that a player is going to make the NHL team, you really ought to just let them go back and play their junior games. :dunno:

Sometimes it feels like NHL teams get carried away starting with 50+ players in camp, but I guess they also want to expose future hopefuls to "the process". So okay.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
When there is literally ZERO chance that a player is going to make the NHL team, you really ought to just let them go back and play their junior games. :dunno:

Sometimes it feels like NHL teams get carried away starting with 50+ players in camp, but I guess they also want to expose future hopefuls to "the process". So okay.
Helps with their ego too I would imagine. Why alienate any of them if you can invite them for a couple days then send them back, especially since they were already in town for rookie camp?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad