Training Camp 2021

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So, we really did choose Grimaldi over Pitlick, eh? Other than that, no real surprised there. Interesting squad for sure.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Well it’s a roster. Not really any surprises. Time to pump up the values of Boro, Cousins, Grimaldi, Rittich, benning

It looks like Boro and Benning are set to rotate in to the 3rd pairing if needed, Grimaldi to the pressbox as the 13th forward, Rittich working on his 3rd period in game interviews from the bench. Cousins put up four points during preseason ... if he performs at half that level in the regular season he'll pump up his value and be on a 40-45 point pace.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
For the permascratch, yes. Hence the reason why Pitlick was on his way to play in the AHL and further develop rather than sit in the pressbox and risked on waivers.

I'd argue that the 13th forward gets a fair bit of ice-time during the season. Injuries, etc. Not just press-box watching.

Not to mention, after this year who could we have used more Pitlick or Grimaldi? Just poor asset management.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I'd argue that the 13th forward gets a fair bit of ice-time during the season. Injuries, etc. Not just press-box watching.

Not to mention, after this year who could we have used more Pitlick or Grimaldi? Just poor asset management.

IF Pitlick progressed ... then yes, he has more potential for future use within the organization. That required Pitlick doing two things ... clearly beating out any other middle six forward for a spot during this year's camp, and progressing beyond a tweener. He remained in contention with players like Grimaldi rather than clearly beating them out which led to looking to get him more playing time via assignment to the AHL to work on the second part.

Pitlick's baseline in limited NHL experience is .2 points per game across his 10 games.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Still would have shipped out Grimaldi rather than losing Pitlick for nothing. Still think all the kid needed was a chance to play and build his confidence. Doesn't matter now though.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm not going to parse numbers to make an argument or against either of these players. Though I tend to agree with 101st on this I'm not the least bit worried about losing either of the players. You let players like Grimaldi walk every year, you also have hopeful draft prospects wash out, it's part of the game and there's no sense in hand wringing and chirping the GM for poor asset management every single time something like this comes up.

Half of the roster this season is young rookie/second year type players, including a new young full time starting goalie. Combine that with some more youth in the AHL and I would say the over all asset management is just fine the last couple years.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
No matter what the team had to expose forwards that it might need later if/when the injury bug bites. Of the two, Pitlick would benefit from regular play with the hope he progresses beyond Grimaldi like performance that he's showing at ages 22-24 compared to Grimaldi at the same age.

Looking at Pitlick's utilization since the waiver claim ... out of three preseason games the Wild played, Pitlick appeared in one with just over 11 minutes of ice time including 1 minute on the PP, 1 SOG. We'll see if he cracks their lineup or ends up on the waiver wire again in early November.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hey guys and gals - Blues fan coming in peace. Couldn't find an appropriate thread to put this, so here seemed as good as any:

Wondering why Mattias Ekholm hasn't been locked up yet? It seems crazy to think the Preds may not bring him back. Is there talk of an extension being discussed, or is a foregone conclusion that he's going to test UFA and possibly be dealt at the TDL to restock your pipeline?

I wouldn't expect a deal between these two clubs, even if Ekholm appeared to be a good fit for the Blues needs, but would have assumed that he'd be a key piece of your defense for years to come. Is there a reason Nashville wouldn't give him $5.5M/year on a long-term deal?

Appreciate the insight. Good luck this season. This division will be a beast for everyone.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Hey guys and gals - Blues fan coming in peace. Couldn't find an appropriate thread to put this, so here seemed as good as any:

Wondering why Mattias Ekholm hasn't been locked up yet? It seems crazy to think the Preds may not bring him back. Is there talk of an extension being discussed, or is a foregone conclusion that he's going to test UFA and possibly be dealt at the TDL to restock your pipeline?

I wouldn't expect a deal between these two clubs, even if Ekholm appeared to be a good fit for the Blues needs, but would have assumed that he'd be a key piece of your defense for years to come. Is there a reason Nashville wouldn't give him $5.5M/year on a long-term deal?

Appreciate the insight. Good luck this season. This division will be a beast for everyone.

Negotiations with his agent started after Labor Day. He's stated that he wants to stay.

Reactions: Stealth JD

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I thought Poile had a very good off season this summer. The moves made will probably, I think, prove to greatly benefit the team. The loss of Pitlick was unfortunate but decisions had to be made by managers closer to the players involved. All in all, I think we should be pleased.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Well, if Nashville is only offering $5.5M, maybe that would be a reason why he isn't signed to an extension yet. His agent knows he's worth more. Meanwhile, Poile knows Ekholm will sign with us eventually, pretty much regardless of the number. So Poile is probably just doing some due diligence to try to save his bosses a little money if he can.

Eventually Ekholm will get around to paying some attention to how things are going, and once that happens the contract will be done very quickly.

I think it's more a foregone conclusion that Ekholm will extend with us. :dunno:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought Poile had a very good off season this summer. The moves made will probably, I think, prove to greatly benefit the team. The loss of Pitlick was unfortunate but decisions had to be made by managers closer to the players involved. All in all, I think we should be pleased.
Oh definitely. I can't really remember a time when the GM hit on basically everything like that. Traded declining assets who we already had replaced internally in Ellis and Arvidsson. Got a better-than-expected return on Ellis too. Absolutely nailed the Expansion Draft even though we had a highly unusual set of considerations. The draft and landing 2 1st round picks, the few RFA contracts we had to settle went off without hitches. Right on down to our final roster for the coming season. Everything "perfect".

Only small disappointment is not already having the Ekholm and Forsberg extensions done, but that's not necessarily entirely in the GM's control either. As nice as it would be to have them done and avoid the trade speculation, there's not TRULY any urgency required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad