Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
In general, I agree with you, but I think Brodzinski is a bit more locked in than Goodrow. I think they really want his type of game with Thronton, and the only player I could see competing for that spot is Blichfeld.

Overall, I am really happy with the approach at least, as it seems clear that they are giving the new guys a real shot, based on this starting point, and if this ends up being the lineup I think things will be fine, again, contingent on Gambrell being a legit contributor. That said I would be happy to see Radil and Chekhovich on the left wing of the 4th line, and Gregor getting a shot at center, possibly pushing True to right wing.

Yeah I’ve been beating the Brodzinski on Joe’s line drum since I read Brodz’s scouting report. He just seems like the perfect fit.

I generally like those lines too, minus Gambrell. I understand why he’s up there and think it’s important to see how he does in the preseason/a few games — but I think eventually that spot is going to go to Chlemevski or Chekhovich unless Gambrell really impresses.

Melker is currently playing with Suomela and Yurtaikin and Chek with Kellman and Radil, for anyone curious.

I’m still a big fan of making a scoring 4th line frankly, and I think we have the talent to do that. Melker isn’t that talent...

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
In general, I agree with you, but I think Brodzinski is a bit more locked in than Goodrow. I think they really want his type of game with Thronton, and the only player I could see competing for that spot is Blichfeld.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I think Blichfeld is a sleeper pick to make the roster, either at that spot with Thornton, or the 4th line RW spot that those lines show Chmelevski in.

I do have trouble believing that they'd just drop Melker Karlsson from the forward lines, though, whether he deserves it or not.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Feels to me like the coaching staff, at least as their starting point, are looking at this as their roster to start:

Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Gambrell
Sorenson - Joe - Brodzinski
Goodrow - True - Chlemevski

With Gambrell, Brodzinski, True and Chlemevski at the biggest risk of losing their positions (but they’re clearly ahead of some of the other young guys).

There is no way they’re starting the season without Melker in the lineup.

Reactions: SharksFan1

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There is no way they’re starting the season without Melker in the lineup.

I like how unequivocal you are with your posts sometimes. It makes it fun to go back to them later. :sarcasm:

Listen, I agree it's unlikely, but I find it interesting and I think that Melker is overpaid and highly replaceable. It's not beyond the realm of reason that they're seeing if they have a cheap Melker replacement in the system so they can trade him and open up more room for a later season acquisition.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I like how unequivocal you are with your posts sometimes. It makes it fun to go back to them later. :sarcasm:

Listen, I agree it's unlikely, but I find it interesting and I think that Melker is overpaid and highly replaceable. It's not beyond the realm of reason that they're seeing if they have a cheap Melker replacement in the system so they can trade him and open up more room for a later season acquisition.

I mean, I could see them trading Melker. But this is a guy who hasn’t been healthy scratched once in the last two seasons. I don’t think he’s even been healthy scratched once in DeBoer’s tenure here. If he’s on the roster, he’s in the lineup on opening night.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I mean, I could see them trading Melker. But this is a guy who hasn’t been healthy scratched once in the last two seasons. I don’t think he’s even been healthy scratched once in DeBoer’s tenure here. If he’s on the roster, he’s in the lineup on opening night.

Still curious that he’s currently playing on a line with guys that are likely not making this team. I have zero doubt he’ll be on the roster barring a trade but its strange to me where they have slotted him in camp so far. I guess trying to see what other guys can do when they already know what Melker brings.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Still curious that he’s currently playing on a line with guys that are likely not making this team. I have zero doubt he’ll be on the roster barring a trade but its strange to me where they have slotted him in camp so far. I guess trying to see what other guys can do when they already know what Melker brings.

Yep, that's all I was saying.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I could see Melker being the 13th forward, however unlikely, but yeah no way he’s not on the roster.
Yeah, I was a bit joking about him being in the AHL, but yeah he would be the 13th forward in that case.

Maybe I'm being naively optimistic, but all the comments about youth taking roles coming from DW and the way the four top lines are built to start camp make me wonder if DW took some athourity on lineup building from Deboer this season...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I could see Melker being the 13th forward, however unlikely, but yeah no way he’s not on the roster.

full

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I was a bit joking about him being in the AHL, but yeah he would be the 13th forward in that case.

Maybe I'm being naively optimistic, but all the comments about youth taking roles coming from DW and the way the four top lines are built to start camp make me wonder if DW took some athourity on lineup building from Deboer this season...

Yeah that’s a bit naive I think, just look to Spot still having a job, running the same area that failed us miserably in the playoffs, to know why Melker ain’t missing playing time. That reason is illustrated nicely by Nem below

Hey just think though, if he’s not in the lineup he can have the hot tub all warmed up for the post game dip!

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, I definitely agree. I think Blichfeld is a sleeper pick to make the roster, either at that spot with Thornton, or the 4th line RW spot that those lines show Chmelevski in.

I do have trouble believing that they'd just drop Melker Karlsson from the forward lines, though, whether he deserves it or not.
Just my opinion from watching him and conversation with friends who are involved with the Winterhawks... Blichfeld is not an NHL player yet and will likely need a couple years in the AHL before he becomes one. All he has right now that could be considered NHL level is his shot.

They do this every year. Milker is there to show them what effort looks like. They quite often split up the bottom forwards because they are usually more effort than skill. Trying to teach the youngins how much they will have to hustle to become and NHL player.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Just my opinion from watching him and conversation with friends who are involved with the Winterhawks... Blichfeld is not an NHL player yet and will likely need a couple years in the AHL before he becomes one. All he has right now that could be considered NHL level is his shot.
What has impressed me from watching the rookie game and the scrimmage yesterday has actually been his hands and and cycling ability in the offensive zone. A lot of what he is doing isn't standing out because he seems very comfortable moving around and smoothly taking passes and moving the puck to the next guy. I feel like the play is never breaking down on him. He is never holding the puck too long, or trying to do too much and loosing the handle. He just takes it and smoothly moves it to the next guy, and has actually had a couple of highlight no look passes, but for the most part doesn't stand out because he is not making mistakes.

Now, he is not driving the play, or showing speed to attack with or anything, but if you are looking for a guy who can play with the top Sharks without getting in the way, and occasionally rip one, I feel like that is what he gives you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad