Training Camp 2019 - Senators 63-player roster announced

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah it's true, but fighting isn't out of hockey yet. We're already lacking skill, and are probably the softest team in the league. Having Boro shotgun the left side will still keep opposing forwards on their toes, whether he misses them clean or not. I'm sure even the Boro haters still get out of their seat when he lays someone out or drops the gloves with someone.

Boro doesn't even really lay out guys anymore. Everyone knows it's coming. He's too easy to read.

Reactions: BonkTastic

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
When our team gets bullied who steps up? Literally only Boro. (yeah Tkachuk too, but we don't want that too often)
When do we get bullied around? Last year we had Harpur, Boro, Smith, Tkachuk and co. We never got pushed around on the ice. The just got bullied on the score sheet. The year before that we also had Burrows, Phaneuf, and McCormick play significant gamew. Maybe time to try a different approach because that was clearly not working.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I am going for it.

First Round Cuts:
G) Mandolese, Sogaard
D) Borowiecki, Aspirot, McDonald, Murray, Labrie, Brodzinski
F) Beaudin, Capannelli, Clapperton, Kastelic, Todd, Trepanier, Labate

Second Round Cuts:
G) Gustavsson
D) Borowiecki, Dougherty, Ebert, Goloubef, Guenette,
F) Carcone, Davidsson, Gruden, Klimchuk, Kelly, Scherwey, Sturtz, Szwarz, Sabourin

Final Cuts:
G) Daccord, Hogberg
D) Borowiecki, Lajoie, Englund, Wolanin
F) Formenton, Veronneau, Balcers, Beauchemin, Chlapik, Norris, Rodewald,

Opening Roster
G) Anderson, Nilsson (2)
D) Chabot, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, DeMelo, Jaros, Borowiecki (Melnyk called and has his son put back on the team) (7)
F) Ryan, White, Anisimov, Boedker, JGP, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair, Tkachuk, L. Brown, Ennis, Batherson, Paul, Abramov (14)
Maybe swap brannstrom and wolanin

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
When our team gets bullied who steps up? Literally only Boro. (yeah Tkachuk too, but we don't want that too often)

Pretty sure that Boro just watched one of our rookies get run last season and it was someone like Tkachuk or Pageau that stood up for them later in the game.

But Boro is definitely not a first cut lol, he'll be on the final team unfortunately.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only time Boro fights is when he throws a dirty hit.
Come on now, there are lots of areas to ctiticize Boro, but he the vast majority of his fights don't involve a dirty hit on his part. Would i like him to stand up for teamates more often? Sure, but to suggest he only fight when he does something dirty and is jumped is off base

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
LOL. My one memory of Boro last season is that game against the Islanders where he put a dirty hit on somebody [Filppula?] and then ran scared from Matt Martin and Ross Johnston. So then Martin put a hit on Chabot that put him out for a few weeks and Jaros fought Johnston and ended up breaking his hand and missing time.

Good thing we have Boro, though. Our young players might get hurt if he weren't around.

:rolleyes:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LOL. My one memory of Boro last season is that game against the Islanders where he put a dirty hit on somebody [Filppula?] and then ran scared from Matt Martin and Ross Johnston. So then Martin put a hit on Chabot that put him out for a few weeks and Jaros fought Johnston and ended up breaking his hand and missing time.

Good thing we have Boro, though. Our young players might get hurt if he weren't around.

Ever since getting that concussion off a dirty Smith hit he doesn't fight as much. Can't blame him for that tbh.

Like I said, I'd like him to stand up for our guys more often, but I wouldn't want to put my long term health at risk either. The league needs a better way of protecting players than the current method.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
When do we get bullied around? Last year we had Harpur, Boro, Smith, Tkachuk and co. We never got pushed around on the ice. The just got bullied on the score sheet. The year before that we also had Burrows, Phaneuf, and McCormick play significant gamew. Maybe time to try a different approach because that was clearly not working.

Point proven, Harpur was beating the piss out of people. Guys weren't lining up to get tuned. Smith hadn't done anything in years. Burrows/Phaneuf aren't fighters or intimidating to play against in the least (unless Burrows showed his teeth maybe). Beyond the act of fighting. Having guys who can handle themselves one the ice makes a difference. Again besides only Boro we have Tkachuk who shouldn't be the only guy to fill the grit role on the team.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Logan Brown is getting my NyQuil's Annual Magnifying Glass Target 2019-2020™ award.

Last year I'd meant it for J-G Pageau, so if anything happens to Logan Brown, you'll know it's my fault. Pageau was finally supposed to get his opportunity to show his stuff in the top six as a veteran centre. Now I wonder if that opportunity may be gone for good.

I am definitely a Logan Brown skeptic, but all of the talk lately about him has been positive, so I'm going to try to be objective and pay some special attention.

He's an exciting talent - it was always about whether he'd reach his ceiling. Having a centre of his frame develop into a top six forward at the NHL level would be a real shot in the arm for this organization.

This seems more like a curse than an award, Nyquil.

Reactions: NyQuil

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Is it more likely that Boro does something than anyone else on the roster...yes or no?

Looking at his fights last year..

Boro DID fight Martin last year. Everyone on our roster loses that fight this year without question, who else drops the gloves willingly.

Jaros gets hit hard...Boro stands up for him, fights Garrett Wilson...holy **** Jaros is a rookie too at that.

Ferland wanted a fight, Boro stood up for himself

Fought Anderson after a huge hit he laid on him.

Fought Reaves even though he's way out of his weight class. Again nobody else would

Answered after a questionable hit on Eakin with Merill.

4 guys on our roster fought last year, 2 of them are gone, one co-lead with Boro in the league for fighting majors. There's inevitably going to be a void to fill this year. fighting isn't out of the game yet.

Hate him all you want, yeah he's not the best D, but he still brings something to the team other players don't. He'll be out the league in no time don't worry.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Possible lines and pairings comrades

Interesting they'd have Brannstrom with Hainsey.
Could they be viewing Wolanin and Demelo as the 4th pair
hmmmm

I'd like to be a forward going up against any other pair on team White.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I am going for it.

First Round Cuts:
G) Mandolese, Sogaard
D) Borowiecki, Aspirot, McDonald, Murray, Labrie, Brodzinski
F) Beaudin, Capannelli, Clapperton, Kastelic, Todd, Trepanier, Labate

Second Round Cuts:
G) Gustavsson
D) Borowiecki, Dougherty, Ebert, Goloubef, Guenette,
F) Carcone, Davidsson, Gruden, Klimchuk, Kelly, Scherwey, Sturtz, Szwarz, Sabourin

Final Cuts:
G) Daccord, Hogberg
D) Borowiecki, Lajoie, Englund, Wolanin
F) Formenton, Veronneau, Balcers, Beauchemin, Chlapik, Norris, Rodewald,

Opening Roster
G) Anderson, Nilsson (2)
D) Chabot, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, DeMelo, Jaros, Borowiecki (Melnyk called and has his son put back on the team) (7)
F) Ryan, White, Anisimov, Boedker, JGP, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair, Tkachuk, L. Brown, Ennis, Batherson, Paul, Abramov (14)

Boro has been training like a mofo... I doubt he gets cut.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm well aware the new coaching staff probably wants a good look at everything we've got in the cupboards, but this is stupid and excessive, imo. The Habs did it a few years ago and nothing came out of it except for a slow start to the season because guys didn't get enough reps in TC. There's always the possibility Dorion doesn't care about a slow start because we're "tanking" but that would fly in the face of everything he's said publicly.

There's 10-12 guys (minimum) who will never sniff NHL time. These guys don't need to be here and should simply report to Belleville once their TC starts.

True that they do not belong; however I view this camp as a joint Ottawa-Belleville camp for the first week or so and then the roster split and assignments will be dealt out.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm well aware the new coaching staff probably wants a good look at everything we've got in the cupboards, but this is stupid and excessive, imo. The Habs did it a few years ago and nothing came out of it except for a slow start to the season because guys didn't get enough reps in TC. There's always the possibility Dorion doesn't care about a slow start because we're "tanking" but that would fly in the face of everything he's said publicly.

There's 10-12 guys (minimum) who will never sniff NHL time. These guys don't need to be here and should simply report to Belleville once their TC starts.

Agree. I think they cut a ton of guys almost immediately.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Boro has been training like a mofo... I doubt he gets cut.

Boro has always been a beast in the gym though. Hes a lovable guy but it's never been his physical tools that have held him back from being more than a bottom pairing guy.

I dont think he gets cut either, but I could also see him losing a full time spot as some point this season.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Boro has always been a beast in the gym though. Hes a lovable guy but it's never been his physical tools that have held him back from being more than a bottom pairing guy.

I dont think he gets cut either, but I could also see him losing a full time spot as some point this season.

Wasn't he always gassed after missing a check?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Let the Ottawa Senators training camp battles begin

After a busy weekend of practices and scrimmages — including Saturday’s Fan Fest at Canadian Tire Centre — the Senators will open the pre-season schedule next Tuesday in St. John’s, Nfld., against the Maple Leafs.

After a rematch against the Maple Leafs Sept. 18 at Canadian Tire Centre, the Senators will chop down the roster to two working groups for the next stage of camp.

PRE-SEASON GAMES SCHEDULE
Tue., Sept. 17 @ Toronto (St. John’s, Nfld.), 5:30 p.m.
Wed., Sept. 18 vs. Toronto (Canadian Tire Centre), 7:30 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 21 vs. Montreal (Canadian Tire Centre), 7 p.m.
Mon., Sept. 23 @ Vancouver (Abbotsford, B.C.), 10 p.m.
Wed., Sept. 25 @ Vancouver, (Rogers Centre), 10 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 28 @ Montreal (Canadian Tire Centre), 7 p.m.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

This is one of the two glaring "Boro didn't fight this guy" moments from last season, imo.

The other was when Stone was hit and it was borderline. Boro was standing 5 feet away and did absolutely nothing about it. Brady had to step in later that shift or a few minutes later and fight the aggressor. I remeber being livid because by this point it was pretty clear Brady was one of our best players, and leaving a "skill guy" (let alone a rookie) to take that fight was pretty embarassing, imo.

It's not Boro's fault per say, because he doesn't have to step up. But people calling him some deterrent are absolutely out to lunch, imo. Boro barely fights anymore and if he does it's more often than not him picking his spots and/or fighting someone after he throws a big hit (since that's a thing in today's NHL).

If we're seriously gonna have a face puncher on the team go out and get someone who may actually be viewed as a deterrent. A Michael Haley type or something.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is one of the two glaring "Boro didn't fight this guy" moments from last season, imo.

The other was when Stone was hit and it was borderline. Boro was standing 5 feet away and did absolutely nothing about it. Brady had to step in later that shift or a few minutes later and fight the aggressor. I remeber being livid because by this point it was pretty clear Brady was one of our best players, and leaving a "skill guy" (let alone a rookie) to take that fight was pretty embarassing, imo.

It's not Boro's fault per say, because he doesn't have to step up. But people calling him some deterrent are absolutely out to lunch, imo. Boro barely fights anymore and if he does it's more often than not him picking his spots and/or fighting someone after he throws a big hit (since that's a thing in today's NHL).

If we're seriously gonna have a face puncher on the team go out and get someone who may actually be viewed as a deterrent. A Michael Haley type or something.

Agreed... I was one who used to say he was a deterrent. He did have some concussion and Ryan finger issues.

There is some time for DJ to assess, I think boro knows this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad