GDT: Training Camp 2016

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not really. Floaters get accused of floating because they float.

Abdelkader and Franzen are the same height, but I've never seen anyone on here say that Justin Abdelkader floats. Because he skates his ass off every single night.

Eh, Franzen is much bigger than Abby. I would consider Abby pretty average in size by today's NHL standards. He only looks big because he plays for the Wings.

People will always be upset with Mantha because he isn't a dogged puck pursuer and doesn't hit like people think he should (because he is big). I don't want him to skate his way out of position, but he does need to move his feet to be effective, even with that massive reach.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Abdelkader and Franzen are the same height, but I've never seen anyone on here say that Justin Abdelkader floats. Because he skates his ass off every single night.

According to the Wings site and Hockeydb, Franzen has 2 inches on Abby.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Not really? Name a big boy scorer in the NHL and I'll find a thread he's lazy on here. Ovechkin, Nash, Bertuzzi, Lecavalier... They've all been hit with that label. Primary goal scorers are way more prone to looking lazy, more so if you're big.

Also I'm not sure Abdelkader counts as a goal scorer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
According to the Wings site and Hockeydb, Franzen has 2 inches on Abby.

I thought they were both 6'2"/6'3", but even if Franzen has 2 inches on Abby, not sure that qualifies one to be OK to float while the other isn't.

Not really? Name a big boy scorer in the NHL and I'll find a thread he's lazy on here. Ovechkin, Nash, Bertuzzi, Lecavalier... They've all been hit with that label. Primary goal scorers are way more prone to looking lazy, more so if you're big.

Also I'm not sure Abdelkader counts as a goal scorer.

Well, I mean... Ovechkin is pretty much allergic to back checking and defense in general. Love the guy, but, kind of hard to ignore that. Still appreciate his unbelievable scoring ability.

And why is it that exclusively goal scorers are lazy but not big grinders or playmakers? I mean Bergeron is 6'2" and Kopitar is 6'3"... You ever hear those guys called floaters?

Haven't really heard your boy Benn called much of a floater either. Put up a cool 41 goals last year, and he wears the C on that team for a reason.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just because you can find an exception to the rule doesn't mean it's not the trend. Again, I didn't say a big scorer couldn't float, but the likelihood they get called out for it by fans is way higher than any other role. And I think sometimes it's undeserved and not being aware they are looking for shooting lanes and trying to be open, which doesn't always involve that skate kicking hustle energy guys provide.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just because you can find an exception to the rule doesn't mean it's not the trend. Again, I didn't say a big scorer couldn't float, but the likelihood they get called out for it by fans is way higher than any other role. And I think sometimes it's undeserved and not being aware they are looking for shooting lanes and trying to be open, which doesn't always involve that skate kicking hustle energy guys provide.

Ok, that I ageee with. I think some of those bigger guys are definitely opportunistic scorers and conserve energy kind of like strikers in soccer.

I don't think everyone needs to play as hard as Abby necessarily, but if you're gonna float you better have the numbers to back it up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ok, that I ageee with. I think some of those bigger guys are definitely opportunistic scorers and conserve energy kind of like strikers in soccer.

I don't think everyone needs to play as hard as Abby necessarily, but if you're gonna float you better have the numbers to back it up.

I mean I can't even say a thing about Mantha because I haven't seen him. For all I know, he is a total floater. Hopefully not. I trust Heaton, though, so it's not a great early sign. But his style of play, as a trigger man, does lend itself to looking less engaged than an Abby type.

I think we're just disagreeing here because I still have unresolved anger towards that Vikings win over the Packers. I could hear your fellow fans yelling outside my window all game and afterwards. The bitter is strong in me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anthony Mantha revealed how he came to camp at a ripped 221 pounds, a good six pounds heavier than last season.

In a nutshell? He spent the summer eating. All the time.

“Not that I didn't eat good the years before, but I just bore down and ate maybe seven or eight times a day, just to put body weight on,†Mantha said after a morning skate today at McCann Ice Arena in Grosse Pointe Woods. "I feel stronger, so I feel I can move quicker."

That dedication -- combined with spending the past six weeks working out with Larkin, Luke Glendening and other Wings, is a huge reason Mantha is off to such a good start this preseason. His line combination is partly a result of the Wings missing several key players, either because of the World Cup of Hockey or injuries, but the line also reflects Mantha’s ascension on the depth chart after a tough rookie season in 2014-15.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...28/detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha/91220734/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean I can't even say a thing about Mantha because I haven't seen him. For all I know, he is a total floater. Hopefully not. I trust Heaton, though, so it's not a great early sign. But his style of play, as a trigger man, does lend itself to looking less engaged than an Abby type.

From what I have seen of him, he definitely goes through stretches where he does not where he coasts. I like a lot of other things he does though, think he is a pretty good passer for example. I also think he has the skills to be a good net front guy, coupled with his recent weight gain think he has some potential there.

Actually, I see a lot of comparisons for him with Franzen. Always thought Franzen was an underrated passer.

I think we're just disagreeing here because I still have unresolved anger towards that Vikings win over the Packers. I could hear your fellow fans yelling outside my window all game and afterwards. The bitter is strong in me.

I mean, we're 3-0 without our starting QB, RB, LT, DT. They are coming together as a team and getting it done. The defense is fantastic. Just a matter of time until you hop on the bandwagon. ;)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If there's one thing I've come to realize in the last couple of seasons, is that labels befallen onto a player are often unfounded and hyperbolic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad