GDT: Training Camp 2016

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Training camp officially opens tomorrow with practices and scrimmages (I will be in attendance per usual!). This is definitely a unique camp since the majority of our best players will be at the WC (or nursing injuries). This is obviously a big opportunity for a few of the younger kids (specifically AA and Mantha).

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/09/young_players_in_spotlight_dur.html

Xavier Ouellet, based on his experience and defensive ability, appears to have the inside track on the seventh spot on defense ahead of the more offensively minded Ryan Sproul. Blashill said Nick Jensen and Robbie Russo, the only one of the group who is exempt from waivers, are in the mix, too.

At forward, Anthony Mantha will try to show he deserves to be on the season-opening roster, but is battling numbers. If he's not playing in the top nine, he'll be starting the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Speedy Andreas Athanasiou proved last season that he belongs in the NHL, but the club has the option of starting him in the AHL if it's facing a roster crunch and doesn't want to waive a veteran.

General manager Ken Holland said in the off-season the plan was to move Larkin to center permanently. In that case, Zetterberg would play on the wing. Blashill was not prepared to commit to the change right away.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Would the team actually waive someone? I guess Andersson was waived last year (which I didn't see coming), maybe Jurco or Miller gets waived? As others have said, I don't think Ott will be waived, the team had talked about getting tougher and he's pretty much it.

The Sproul/Ouellet/Jensen fight for the extra D/First call-up/waiver fodder will be interesting for sure.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Would the team actually waive someone? I guess Andersson was waived last year (which I didn't see coming), maybe Jurco or Miller gets waived? As others have said, I don't think Ott will be waived, the team had talked about getting tougher and he's pretty much it.

The Sproul/Ouellet/Jensen fight for the extra D/First call-up/waiver fodder will be interesting for sure.

Yeah, I don't know. I think AA will show again that he belongs on the team and is probably better than a handful of guys who play on opening night, but he'll probably need to spend a little time in the AHL until we hit a slump or don't start that well.

Hopefully next season we'll be in a better position with the young players since you'd have to think AA and Mantha would've 'earned' their spots by then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Frk, Jensen, Sproul, Ouellet all would have to pass through waivers to go to GR. All of them aren't going to make the team, so yes we are definitely going to be waiving people.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The teams

Cs5prhqWgAEUU3-.jpg:large

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ill watch preseason with an open mind, but I really hope Sproul beats out XO. We have enough "safe and steady" guys with limited mobility on the backend. We need Sproul's skill set.

That said, which ever one is exposed to waivers is probably a gonner.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ill watch preseason with an open mind, but I really hope Sproul beats out XO. We have enough "safe and steady" guys with limited mobility on the backend. We need Sproul's skill set.

That said, which ever one is exposed to waivers is probably a gonner.

I hope he does, but I doubt it at the same time.

And I also don't think our D prospects approaching 23-24 years of age are that interesting to other teams. Just about every team has their own crunch to solve after camp.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Yeah, I don't know. I think AA will show again that he belongs on the team and is probably better than a handful of guys who play on opening night, but he'll probably need to spend a little time in the AHL until we hit a slump or don't start that well.

Hopefully next season we'll be in a better position with the young players since you'd have to think AA and Mantha would've 'earned' their spots by then.

AA " earned" his spot last year. He'll probably get the treatment Nyquist and Tatar got a couple years back. Being he can be sent down and not having to go thru waivers. Blash said Jensen, Russo in the mix with Oullette and Sproul competing for the 7th D spot. I can't see any possibility Russo would is picked to be the 7th D even if he were to badly outplay the other 3, being he can be sent down and not have to go thru waivers.
I'll be there Saturday, should be fun. :handclap:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Perhaps Mitch Callahan can steal a spot. Ott and Miller is old players.

Jurco - Glendening - Callahan

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's so true. Every single year we have kids that should be on the roster but we've hoarded so badly they can't make the team. Makes me sick.

What kids, besides maybe AA, should be on the roster? Nobody else strikes me as a player that deserves a spot right now.

Oct 18, 2006
What kids, besides maybe AA, should be on the roster? Nobody else strikes me as a player that deserves a spot right now.
Maybe AA? Definitely AA. Probably Mantha too, to help our disgraceful PP, but given our roster jam I can't see him in. This would be fun.

Zetterberg - Larkin - Abdelkader
Tatar - Nielsen - Nyquist
Athanasiou - Sheahan - Vanek
Glendening - Helm - Bertuzzi

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Training camp officially opens tomorrow with practices and scrimmages (I will be in attendance per usual!). This is definitely a unique camp since the majority of our best players will be at the WC (or nursing injuries). This is obviously a big opportunity for a few of the younger kids (specifically AA and Mantha).

Mantha and AA were our best players in training camp and pre-season last year....and both still got sent down to GR. With the roster and cap crunch the only way they make the team is a slew of injuries.

And I also don't think our D prospects approaching 23-24 years of age are that interesting to other teams. Just about every team has their own crunch to solve after camp.

Ferraro and Nestrasil both got claimed in recent years, and those guys are ten-a-penny in the NHL. Young D still with potential like Sproul or Oullet, no way do they go unclaimed.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ericsson and Green on same group... = next season projected 3rd pair?

Nah. I think Greener is going to get some big minutes in the top four. He's our second best D sadly. He's big and mobile.. I know they're both RHD, but I like a Marchenko pairing a tad. Maybe Ouellet if he's in but I don't think he can handle big minutes. XO has been exposed every single time he gets above 14 TOI.

The D is such a mess. It didn't improve. E and Kronny are in worse shape. Smith is always a question mark. Signs of a top four D and then just a terrible run. Three years or so in a row. Marchy is a good number 4 DD. Leaves you with Danny DeKeyser doing absolutely everything.

Really curious if they roll 8D.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ferraro and Nestrasil both got claimed in recent years, and those guys are ten-a-penny in the NHL. Young D still with potential like Sproul or Oullet, no way do they go unclaimed.

Ferraro was claimed because Boston had injuries that they couldn't fill internally and because, "He’s a second-round pick and Detroit usually drafts pretty well."

Nestrasil got claimed because Carolina head coach Bill Peters, a Red Wings assistant, was familiar with him.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Ferraro was claimed because Boston had injuries that they couldn't fill internally and because, "He’s a second-round pick and Detroit usually drafts pretty well."

Nestrasil got claimed because Carolina head coach Bill Peters, a Red Wings assistant, was familiar with him.

Sproul was a 1st. and Ouellet was were a 2nds. I don't see how that's an argument that neither would be picked up but Ferraro, who was entirely mediocre, was. Both guys have more upside than Ferraro did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad