GDT: Training Camp 2016

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And yet, maybe if they didnt spend so long wallowing in minors, they would both be better players.

Nyquist spent two full seasons in the minors. Not exactly what I would call wallowing. Tatar spent four, but he joined the Griffins right after being drafted at 18, which rarely happens. I'm sure if Tatar was given top 6 minutes at 19 he might be a better player, but the team also likely would have finished lower in the standings. Either way, both players developed into exactly what the Red Wings were hoping they would.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
So AA-Larkin-Mantha together...

... does anyone know some info about other lines or D-pairings?

I was there Saturday. Miller-Glen-Ott seemed to be together in quite a few drills. Seemed like Ericcson was paired with Green. Other than that didn't notice. Hard to tell, scrimmages were 3 on3. 5 on 6.and 4 on 4. I thought Sproul looked good. He made some nice offensive plays.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/rosters-announced-for-red-vs.-white-game

From here I could predict:

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Abdelkader, TOP line (not involved, injured + World Cup rest)
Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha, offensive line 1 (Mantha goes to Grand Rapids for Tatar, after he returns)
Sheahan - Helm - Nyquist, offensive line 2
Miller - Glendening - Ott, cheking line

(Pulkkinen, Jurco, injured extras)

Borkowski - Street - Svechnikov (Griffins TOP line, Mantha replaces Borkowski later on)
Bertuzzi - Lorito - Frk (Griffins 2nd line)
Tangradi - Nosek - Callahan (Griffins 3rd line)
Sadowy - Turgeon - Nastasiuk/Criscuolo (Griffins 4th line)

G.Smith - Aubry - Campbell (Smith goes on juniors, others are AHL extras)

Detroit D:

DeKeyser - Smith, 2nd A pair
Kronwall - Marchenko (2nd B pair, injured + World Cup rest)
Ericsson - Green, 2nd C pair
Ouellet - Sproul (fighting for a spot)

Griffins D:

Lashoff - Russo
Paetsch - Jensen
Hicketts - Renouf

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't think Khan knows everything. The plan can also change a lot during camp. Let's just see how things play out. This thread should have more discussion about how things are actually going at camp and less speculation about what might be our day 1 lineup in a world where players don't surprise/underperform or get injured.

Really interesting that Smith and Dekeyser are playing together. Big opportunity for Smith to finally establish himself.
Ericsson supposedly looks good together with Green.
AA-Larkin-Mantha is interesting, I doubt it's something that we see day 1 but could be Blash testing it for future use?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Khan knows everything. The plan can also change a lot during camp. Let's just see how things play out. This thread should have more discussion about how things are actually going at camp and less speculation about what might be our day 1 lineup in a world where players don't surprise/underperform or get injured.

Really interesting that Smith and Dekeyser are playing together. Big opportunity for Smith to finally establish himself.
Ericsson supposedly looks good together with Green.
AA-Larkin-Mantha is interesting, I doubt it's something that we see day 1 but could be Blash testing it for future use?

I like the idea of a Dekeyser-Smith pairing, and I can see how they complement each other, but I'm not sure that is something we should pull for because that would probably be our top pairing, no?

Curious to see how defense is going to be configured...

some ideas

Idea 1:

Dekeyser-Smith
Kronwall-Marchenko
Ericsson-Green

Idea 2:

Dekeyser-Green
Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Marchenko

Idea 3:

Dekeyser-Green
Smith-Marchenko
Kronwall-Ericsson

Idea 4 (radical, I know):

Dekeyser-Green
Kronwall-Sproul
Smith-Marchekno

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Since Blashill doesn't have all of his regulars I don't think you can read in to anything at camp. We'll know in a week and a half.

As for Ericsson he looks like he does every camp, not better or worse. It's easy to look better when you're pracyagainst AHL and ECHL talent.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I like the idea of a Dekeyser-Smith pairing, and I can see how they complement each other, but I'm not sure that is something we should pull for because that would probably be our top pairing, no?

Curious to see how defense is going to be configured...

some ideas

Idea 1:

Dekeyser-Smith
Kronwall-Marchenko
Ericsson-Green

Idea 2:

Dekeyser-Green
Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Marchenko

Idea 3:

Dekeyser-Green
Smith-Marchenko
Kronwall-Ericsson

Idea 4 (radical, I know):

Dekeyser-Green
Kronwall-Sproul
Smith-Marchekno

Of the likely options, I think 2 looks the most balanced. It keeps a solid defender with a better puck mover on two pairs, and then has a decent, low-minutes 3rd pair that can play more defensively. That said, I think the 4th option is clearly the best (sub Sproul with any of Sproul/XO/Russo), in terms of overall ability.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
From Khan's article today:

So Ericsson and Kronwall are out of the lineup?

Even with Kronwall's mobility down, his outlet passes are still better than just about anyone on the team.

Playing fast and moving the puck isn't all just skating fast.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Vanek for sure is, but if I just don't see Ott being garbage and being handed a spot. I could be wrong, I'm also not going to take Khan's conjecture as gospel.

Not sure I'd call it conjecture, he has a lot better idea than any of us do. But we'll see what happens.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Even with Kronwall's mobility down, his outlet passes are still better than just about anyone on the team.

Playing fast and moving the puck isn't all just skating fast.

Blashill specifically mentions getting up in the play and skating, though. It seems more like he wants these guys pinching and stepping up in the neutral zone to try to stuff plays on the other side of center ice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Does anyone know if the Pens-Wings game will be streamed by the Wings tom?

I know Root sports in Pgh won't cover it, and from some quick research it looks like no local tv in Det will air it as well.

When this happens with the Pens for home games, sometimes the team will stream the games online. Any idea if the Wings are doing this?

Thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad