OT: Train hits OC transpo bus in Barrhaven

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I certainly was not trying to be insensitive with my comment; I was trying to quote a tweet from a CBC producer, but for some reason couldn't. It very well could have been that the police asked for a retraction for another reason, and if it does end up being true it is very sad, as is this entire situation.

Well, as I said in my post I knew him personally and I wouldn't spread misinformation like that.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
RIP Connor, had a class with him a couple years back now. Nicest guy you'd ever meet. Hard to comprehend at this point.

Also, I hope they retract his name and that he is in fact okay, but I am sitting on campus right now and am hearing a girl crying about how he wasn't in class yesterday or today, so I am assuming the original reports are true.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Never easy when this stuff hits close to home. My thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted by these events. Hopefully they are able to get some idea of how this happened.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I look at this incident and the local coverage it has gotten as well as the lives that it has affected, and then I think about 9/11 and just how many more lives were affected with the twin towers.

Sad stuff altogether.

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
I was Connor's TA two years back. He was a damn good student and a pleasure to teach. I remember him well. He got an A. And I don't give many of those out.

Condolences to his friends on this board and may he rest in peace. And for anyone who was close to him, the university has set up a special counselling service. Check your Carleton email if you think it might help. There will also be a memorial service, but they haven't yet announced the details.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I was Connor's TA two years back. He was a damn good student and a pleasure to teach. I remember him well. He got an A. And I don't give many of those out.

Condolences to his friends on this board and may he rest in peace. And for anyone who was close to him, the university has set up a special counselling service. Check your Carleton email if you think it might help. There will also be a memorial service, but they haven't yet announced the details.

Both Connor and Kyle were great guys. Connor was really passionate about school you could tell just by talking to him. Haven't been able to stop thinking about this all day.

Also:

One OC Transpo driver told the National Post‘s John Ivison that he has experienced brake problems with the new double-decker buses that the City of ottawa bought last year.

“I’ve sent three of them back — the calipers stick,” the driver said, he spoke on condition of anonymity.

If this is true I don't even know what to say.

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Turns out one of the victims worked as an engineer for the same company at the same site where I did one of my co-op work terms. I didn't know him personally, but there is probably a good chance some of my former co-workers did.

What a tragedy, my condolences go out to everyone affected by this. :(

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Still so rattled about Connor's passing. He was such a genuinely nicely guy. I've met so many ***holes in this city, and of course 1/6 of the deceased has to be a bright young man such as himself.

Life makes no sense and is unfair.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Connor was in my English class. Our professor got choked up letting the class know this morning and had to step out for a moment. :(

Angled Dream

Sep 19, 2013
Long time lurker here.

Wow, they just said the names on CTV and one of them was my manager's dad.

I also work with Aaron, son of Michael Bleakney. We actually got hired within about a month of each other and have been working together off and on for about 5 years. I was extremely saddened when I found out last night about his father's passing.

Although he likes the Sens, he's a bigger fan of the Anaheim Ducks and has never had the chance to see them live. For the last couple of weeks he and I had been talking about getting a few other people together and going to the game on October 25.

I was wondering if anyone here has any connections or knows anyone with connections to the Senators organization? I was just wondering if it would be possible to arrange for some players from both teams to sign a jersey or something for him. Hockey doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things for someone who just their father, but I'm just trying to think of something, anything, that might bring him a little bit of joy in these dark times.

DoughtyFace

May 9, 2012
Ottawa
I normally take the 76 downtown every day right around that time, and because of where I live the bus is always empty where I catch it, meaning I usually sit right at the front there. Shook me a little seeing on that day I took a bus 30 minutes before the one in the accident.

I'm extremely sorry to all of you who knew those who lost their lives, I think we forget just how close people are in this city sometimes. My sincerest condolences. Very tragic.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I also work with Aaron, son of Michael Bleakney. We actually got hired within about a month of each other and have been working together off and on for about 5 years. I was extremely saddened when I found out last night about his father's passing.

Although he likes the Sens, he's a bigger fan of the Anaheim Ducks and has never had the chance to see them live. For the last couple of weeks he and I had been talking about getting a few other people together and going to the game on October 25.

I was wondering if anyone here has any connections or knows anyone with connections to the Senators organization? I was just wondering if it would be possible to arrange for some players from both teams to sign a jersey or something for him. Hockey doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things for someone who just their father, but I'm just trying to think of something, anything, that might bring him a little bit of joy in these dark times.

You might try giving guest services a call at 613-599-0100 .. even if they aren't the people you need to talk to about making this happen, I'd imagine they'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Good luck :)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Long time lurker here.

Angled, I sent you a PM.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Long time lurker here.

So sorry for your loss....it's so devestating to so many of us who didn't have a connection with the people that passed. Can't fathom how all of you who knew victims are coping...

Bump for your request.

Prayers with you and all who knew the victims.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I normally take the 76 downtown every day right around that time, and because of where I live the bus is always empty where I catch it, meaning I usually sit right at the front there. Shook me a little seeing on that day I took a bus 30 minutes before the one in the accident.

I'm extremely sorry to all of you who knew those who lost their lives, I think we forget just how close people are in this city sometimes. My sincerest condolences. Very tragic.

Kennevale/Cobble Hill? I took that bus all the time + - 5 minutes when I went to high school. Good thing I go to Uni at Kingston now...

Really puts things in perspective, you hear all these things in the news and you'd never think it would happen in your town...

DoughtyFace

May 9, 2012
Ottawa
Kennevale/Cobble Hill? I took that bus all the time + - 5 minutes when I went to high school. Good thing I go to Uni at Kingston now...

Really puts things in perspective, you hear all these things in the news and you'd never think it would happen in your town...

Kennevale/Merner, by the Quickie. Agree.

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
School buses stop at EVERY railroad crossing why is it different for public transportation?

Not sure about OC Transpo but I do know that the TTC bus I take stops at all railways, opens the door, closes the door and carries on. Seems like a good idea that should be implemented at the provincial level (MTO).

RIP

Thoughts with all of those affected.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Not sure about OC Transpo but I do know that the TTC bus I take stops at all railways, opens the door, closes the door and carries on. Seems like a good idea that should be implemented at the provincial level (MTO).

Obviously wouldn't have changed a thing here, as he drove right through a barrier with flashing lights, alarm bells, and passengers screaming at him to stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad