OT: Train hits OC transpo bus in Barrhaven

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is a very tragic day in the history of the city. Thoughts and prayers to everyone.

I am stunned and saddened by this.

Stone Valley

A State of Trance
Jan 19, 2010
Ottawa
www.youtube.com
Had no idea what the hell happened until my mom was freaking out texting me. She thought I was on it.

I really hope the bus driver didn't do it on purpose, but I guess we won't know for a while. We know he went right through though. Thoughts and prayers with those affected.

EDIT: Did I just hear this right on CTV right now? One of the witnesses said they saw someone cut in half...

well.. they said there were "bodies and debris" everywhere..

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't take the bus from Barhaven, but based on the pictures, it looks like the gates that are supposed to lower when a train crosses, didn't.

You can clearly see them up in the accident pictures. Had they been down, the bus would have plowed into them.

Where abouts at the General are you. We should meet up!

e46330ivs*

Terrible news, my gf lives a few minutes from the intersection, drove by 15mins before accident occured this morning and didnt hear about it till almost noon. My heart goes out to anyone affected, thoughts and prayers.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
My dad takes that bus to work every day, but today he went to work earlier than normal. Close call....

RIP to those who died. Sad day.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well witnesses say he did hit the brakes, too late after people where yelling at him.

Was he Texting????? :amazed:

Eye witnesses are notoriously inaccurate. Best to wait until the investigation finds some evidence of what happened rather than speculate at this point.

DukeNukem

Jul 17, 2011
Disbelief and shock and horror. Sad sad day for many families. Thought and prayer to all. Hopefully one day someone will figure out that if we can car to park itself, we can get a bus to not go over train tracks when there's a train on it.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
No reason to jump the gun and blame the driver before there are any facts. Even if it was the driver's fault, how many hours of service does OC Transpo run in a year? Those massive buses have got to be more likely to get into major accidents than a car, and I don't recall ever hearing about something like this before.

It may have also been a heart attack.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
Was just watching CTV's coverage while prepping tonight's dinner.

I love how Jan Harder, the city councillor for the area, did not waste a crisis to politicize this event. Bringing up how VIA Rail wanted permission in the past to travel this section at speed and as a result, how their company are feeling after today's event, it indirectly insinuates that the train was travelling too fast and the fault lies with the train.

This is sickening.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
all indications so far are that the barriers were working and the bus didnt stop for whatever reason. I dont see how you could blame via or the train, other than saying there should be an overpass.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Was just watching CTV's coverage while prepping tonight's dinner.

I love how Jan Harder, the city councillor for the area, did not waste a crisis to politicize this event. Bringing up how VIA Rail wanted permission in the past to travel this section at speed and as a result, how their company are feeling after today's event, it indirectly insinuates that the train was travelling too fast and the fault lies with the train.

This is sickening.

Knowing Harder, this doesn't surprise me. She's been harping on about how the trains need to slow down when going through Barrhaven for years.

leafstilldeath*

Leafs fan coming in peace. I hope your family and friends are safe. My colleague who takes 76 daily decided to take her kid to daycare and drive instead of taking 76 today. It was scary.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know if you guys saw that they released some of the names. I was friends with Connor Boyd -- we played ball together. Was a really great kid. Thoughts to his family and others affected by this tragedy.

...and just found out a student that I worked with was also one of the people who passed away. Jesus.

Last edited:

Cherith Cutestory

Jan 20, 2008
Edmonton/Ottawa
I don't know if you guys saw that they released some of the names. I was friends with Connor Boyd -- we played ball together. Was a really great kid. Thoughts to his family and others affected by this tragedy.

...and just found out a student that I worked with was also one of the people who passed away. Jesus.

The Connor Boyd name was retracted by police; did not pass away.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
The Connor Boyd name was retracted by police; did not pass away.

It might have just been at the request of the family, it appears that his name is now in articles from today's news.

Sad day for sure, texted all my cousins/friends who live in Ottawa to ensure they were okay. Condolences out to those who were affected.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Sad story indeed. From what I can gather the driver fell asleep or something and when he woke up it was more or less to late.. Thoughts are with all the victims and their families at this time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was an eerie site to this morning. I take the bus at 530 every morning and the north bound side of Woodroffe is open again so we passed right by the site. What made it so eerie was that it was still dark out and there were these huge flood lights at the site bringing even more emphasis on the bus.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
My condolences and prayers to all affected...

I live in Barrhaven, have many friend riding buses via Fallowfield station in the morning. Fortuntely no one was on the bus.

Cherith Cutestory

Jan 20, 2008
Edmonton/Ottawa
It might have just been at the request of the family, it appears that his name is now in articles from today's news.

Sad day for sure, texted all my cousins/friends who live in Ottawa to ensure they were okay. Condolences out to those who were affected.

I certainly was not trying to be insensitive with my comment; I was trying to quote a tweet from a CBC producer, but for some reason couldn't. It very well could have been that the police asked for a retraction for another reason, and if it does end up being true it is very sad, as is this entire situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad