Music: Tragically Hip’s Gord Downie reveals terminal brain cancer diagnosis

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That's pretty good!

It's their last tour - One could easily expect high ticket prices. This ain't rocket science.

Checked again, actually $56. Still one of the cheapest concerts I will have (hopefully) attended.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Unfortunately I don't think they ever got as much traction in the US as, say, Nickelback, which is just baffling if you ask me. :help:

I remember they were on SNL about 20 years ago. I never understood why the Canadian bands I grew up listening to in the 90's didn't become big in the US.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Unfortunately I don't think they ever got as much traction in the US as, say, Nickelback, which is just baffling if you ask me. :help:

The Tragically Hip have a following in Netherlands. The following in the US is more diffuse but did spend almost a decade writing and recording tracks in the US. They returned home to record in and around 2000.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Would that make you trailing by a century?
According to other posters here, they were never big outside of Canada. And being someone who has neither lived or even been to Canada, plus being of an age that was probably too young to know them (based on their current ages) in their prime based, that about sums up why I haven't heard of them.

Still sucks nonetheless. "**** cancer" is something I think we can all agree on, no matter what.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
According to other posters here, they were never big outside of Canada. And being someone who has neither lived or even been to Canada, plus being of an age that was probably too young to know them (based on their current ages) in their prime based, that about sums up why I haven't heard of them.

Still sucks nonetheless. "**** cancer" is something I think we can all agree on, no matter what.

Come on, that was supposed to be a groaner.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Getting really discouraged. Stubhub prices seem to be going up since the went on sale. Cheapest at over $200 CA in Vancouver.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There are rumblings of Mississauga and Toronto organizing free shows.

Not sure how I feel about trying to talk Gord into working more shows, as I'm sure he had doctors telling him how many shows he'd be able to perform. Wouldn't want to overwork the guy.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

Personally, I find the The Hip not making it big outside of Canada (as well as Blue Rodeo) bitter sweet. As much as I like seeing our bands succeed internationally, there is something about them being uniquely Canadian that I love. The Hip and Blue Rodeo both share a sound that, when I hear it, just feels so Canadian (specifically rural Canadian) that I think only Canadians can understand.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Went to the Vancouver show tonight. Unreal. Gord may not be bouncing around the stage like he used to, but he still put on a hell of a show. So glad I went. Luckily was able to get tickets below face value off of StubHub, even with the exchange rate. Not ashamed to admit I teared up during Bobcaygeon and Wheat Kings.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Went to the Vancouver show tonight. Unreal. Gord may not be bouncing around the stage like he used to, but he still put on a hell of a show. So glad I went. Luckily was able to get tickets below face value off of StubHub, even with the exchange rate. Not ashamed to admit I teared up during Bobcaygeon and Wheat Kings.

How did Gord look? I can't imagine being able to still get out there and perform in his condition. I checked the setlist and they played around 25 songs. Must have been a pretty good night, albeit very bittersweet. Did Gord talk to the crowd much?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I wont be going to either of the Edmonton shows but I've seen them 8-10 times and every show was phenomenal.

I always wondered way before the sad news took place how much longer they would keep going especially since their new stuff seems to last a month on the radio and then fade. It sucks that it has to end this way.

I've been listening to nothing but The Hip on my Ipod lately. If there was one man I would have loved to meet, it was Gordie. All the best Gord and the band.

I have The Hip's live concert "That Night In Toronto" dvd and when the crowd erupts during Bobcaygeon's "That Night In Toronto" the neck hair stands straight up.

One memory I have is when I went to their show during the Phantom Power tour I was in Grade 11 and the next day at school my Math teacher asked me to answer a question on the board from that weekend's homework. I couldn't answer it my voice was shot. I had to get my classmate to read the answer for me. My teacher looked at me and said "Are you OK?" I said I was fine and that I was at The Hip concert the night before. My teacher laughed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: