Music: Tragically Hip’s Gord Downie reveals terminal brain cancer diagnosis

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
http://music.cbc.ca/#!/blogs/2016/5...ownie-reveals-terminal-brain-cancer-diagnosis

Canadian rock band the Tragically Hip has announced that its lead singer, Gord Downie, has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

In a letter posted early Tuesday morning to its web site, the band stated that despite the diagnosis, Downie, 52, will embark on a new national tour with the Hip, scheduled after the June 17 release of its fourteenth album, Man Machine Poem.

Very sad. Canadian rock icon.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Go home, 2016. You're ****ing hammered.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From an email from The Hip

Hello friends.

We have some very tough news to share with you today, and we wish it wasn't so.

A few months ago, in December, Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

Since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him.

So after 30-some years together as The Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours...

We've decided to do another one.

This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us.

What we in The Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and it's magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans.

So, we're going to dig deep, and try to make this our best tour yet.

We hope you can come out and join us this summer - details and dates will be coming this week.

And we sincerely thank all of you, for your continued love and support,

Paul, GordD, Johnny, Rob, GordS

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I work from home and Nautical Disaster was playing as I read the news. ****. As a bass player I played in cover bands and one TH tribute band and their songs were so much fun to play. If one night we weren't "in the zone", you could bet it would be rectified as soon as we got to a TH song. And Gordon was born to be on stage, easily comparable to Joe Cocker as far as feeling the songs went.

Bowie, Prince... Hey 2016, if I ever find you at night in an dark alley, it will be 2017 before the summer is over. ****.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
When they first broke the news during my drive in to work, I misheard it as he had already passed away. :help:

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for tickets on the Toronto stop, but it'll probably sell out pretty fast.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Devastating news to hear today. I feel so bad for Downie and his family and friends.

There isn't anything more Canadian than listening to the Hip around a fire at the lake while having a few beers. I will definitely be seeing them on this last tour, it will sure be emotional.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Absolute kick in the gut. Horrible news to wake up to. Going to try my best to get to a show on this summer tour. I've lost count how many times I've seen them live, but their show at the Moore Theater in Seattle back in 2007 probably stands out the most for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad