Music: Tragically Hip’s Gord Downie reveals terminal brain cancer diagnosis

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Glyoblastoma is a terrible form of cancer. My grandmother died some 15 years ago from the most aggressive form Glyoblastoma multiforma and it was terrible to see how hard it was on her.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
2016 needs to just **** off already. Leave our musicians alone.

This was the video that turned me on to the Hip. I still get chills every time I watch it. He not only crafted an amazing song, but an amazing video that tells a story. The guy is just brilliant.

Even today, I watched the video this morning after I read the news, and I haven't been able to get this video out of my head ever since.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Terrible News. :(

However,if you have never seen The Hip in concert,i suggest you go see them.

I have seen them twice,good times ! :nod:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Very sad to hear this today. Canadian legends. Gord is a class act, a true poet and proud Canadian. I hope I can afford to get good seats when they come through town.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I find tragically hip is really hit and miss for me

either its really great or its really not my thing.

boots or hearts, wheat kings, 38 years old. Just unbelievable songs

but absolutely sending good vibes to a great artist and as said, Canadian legend

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I will give Gord all the praise in the world. I know me personally if I was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer that I would want to spend the rest of my time with friends and family.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I will give Gord all the praise in the world. I know me personally if I was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer that I would want to spend the rest of my time with friends and family.

In fairness, I'd imagine if you asked him why he's not, he'd look at you strangely and say "but aren't I?"

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Final tour dates.

Victoria, July 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
Vancouver, July 24. Rogers Arena​.
Edmonton, July 28. Rexall Place.
Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
London, Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
Toronto, Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
Hamilton , Aug. 16. FirstOntario Centre.
Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Final tour dates.

Victoria, July 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
Vancouver, July 24. Rogers Arena​.
Edmonton, July 28. Rexall Place.
Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
London, Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
Toronto, Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
Hamilton , Aug. 16. FirstOntario Centre.
Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.

HAVE HAVE HAVE to see them one more time. Tempted to try for Victoria AND Vancouver, but don't want to push my luck, tickets are going to be tough enough as it is.

Just devistating.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
A little disappointed to see there final tour has no Eastern Canada stops. However they don't owe anyone anything but i sure would like to see them live one more time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
A little disappointed to see there final tour has no Eastern Canada stops. However they don't owe anyone anything but i sure would like to see them live one more time.

Yes, a full Canadian tour with stops in the Maritimes would have been ideal, but I'm not sure if Gord could handle it. This is obviously not a typical farewell tour. It's wonderful that they are going out one last time, but the circumstances are awful. Have to imagine these shows will be very emotional for the band as well as the fans.

The hip are Canada!

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Definitely sucks that they can't come out further east, but totally understandable as well. It's pretty damn amazing they're going on tour at all.

I got to see them in Halifax probably about 10 years ago, when Joel Plaskett was opening for them. Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

Actually, I think Plaskett may have done the best job of explaining why Gord Downie is so damn good:
(http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/joel-plaskett-talks-gord-downie-1.3598001)

"He sells you those words if you know what I mean. Even if you don't know what he's talking about, because I don't always know what he's talking about, but he feels it,"
"There's this kind of poetry and performance all wrapped up together. That is a remarkable thing and it's something that's really unique, unique to him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad