Music: Tragically Hip’s Gord Downie reveals terminal brain cancer diagnosis

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
How did Gord look? I can't imagine being able to still get out there and perform in his condition. I checked the setlist and they played around 25 songs. Must have been a pretty good night, albeit very bittersweet. Did Gord talk to the crowd much?

He looked fantastic. The suits and top hat may have played a role, but his smile was infectious. He didn't rant during songs like he used to, and aside from hello, thank you, and goodnight, he really didn't say much. There were a few times though he just stood and looked out at the crowd, and got a roar from us in response. He just let the songs do the talking.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
He looked fantastic. The suits and top hat may have played a role, but his smile was infectious. He didn't rant during songs like he used to, and aside from hello, thank you, and goodnight, he really didn't say much. There were a few times though he just stood and looked out at the crowd, and got a roar from us in response. He just let the songs do the talking.
If you look up one post to the Wheat Kings video he does look pretty good.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
My conversation with the gf last night..

Her-What are you doing tomorrow?
me-I work 4-12, why?
her-I won tickets to a concert tomorrow (not sure who they are) but I was wondering if you wanted to go
me-(thinking it was some no name band in Banff)yeah sorry, it's my only night shift of the week as well, maybe next time.

Now todays conversation 20 min before my shift started

me-what are you doing?
her-listening to 'the tradically hip"
me-why?
her-that's the band I won tickets to

I couldn't believe it, so rattled.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
Was at the concert last night in Calgary. If your a fan of the hip you need to go. If you enjoy music, go. A few times during the night just pure raw emotion screamed from that stage and just enveloped the crowd, I've personally never experienced that at a concert before. You all need to experience it too.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
My conversation with the gf last night..

Her-What are you doing tomorrow?
me-I work 4-12, why?
her-I won tickets to a concert tomorrow (not sure who they are) but I was wondering if you wanted to go
me-(thinking it was some no name band in Banff)yeah sorry, it's my only night shift of the week as well, maybe next time.

Now todays conversation 20 min before my shift started

me-what are you doing?
her-listening to 'the tradically hip"
me-why?
her-that's the band I won tickets to

I couldn't believe it, so rattled.

Thats when you drop everything, call in sick and go. youre work wont like you bailing on them that late but they'll live.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Was at the concert last night in Calgary. If your a fan of the hip you need to go. If you enjoy music, go. A few times during the night just pure raw emotion screamed from that stage and just enveloped the crowd, I've personally never experienced that at a concert before. You all need to experience it too.

Fully and Completely Agree. (Yes I did just do it)

I missed both shows in Edmonton, my cousin called me up Sunday night asking what I had planned for Monday and Tuesday, being unemployed NOTHING. They had 4 tickets picked me up we drove to Calgary yesterday afternoon, stayed at the GF's parents place and my cousin and his gf along with me and the gf's Dad went.

What an emotional night. I cried during Fiddler's Green. What an amazing show. You have to see them, whether youre a huge fan or not, you'll get your moneys worth.

Also just a suggestion if youre going and want a T-shirt or whatever Go and get there earlier to get in line cause the lineups for the concession are long. Especially when you have everyone measuring and sizing up their shirt (Sweet **** is that annoying) Even during the show its like that.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Have the concert on DVR tonight, could be 1 of the most epic concerts in Canadian history.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

This one is a bit closer and clearer. You can see all the smiles from Gord, Blue Rodeo and The Sadies. Looks like they don't use prompters because Gord was reading the lyrics from a piece of paper, and I don't think the sound guy had his microphone turned up loud enough until it was too late. Gordon Lightfoot and Gordon Pinsent were also there.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-03-at-9.07.33-AM.png

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This one is a bit closer and clearer. You can see all the smiles from Gord, Blue Rodeo and The Sadies. Looks like they don't use prompters because Gord was reading the lyrics from a piece of paper, and I don't think the sound guy had his microphone turned up loud enough until it was too late. Gordon Lightfoot and Gordon Pinsent were also there.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-03-at-9.07.33-AM.png

Thanks for that. I noticed the paper too. I didn't know Gordon Lightfoot and Gordon Pinsent were there too. However I thought Gord's voice was just very weak rather than it being a low mic. But your theory is just as good as mine. Hope yours is right too. :(

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks for that. I noticed the paper too. I didn't know Gordon Lightfoot and Gordon Pinsent were there too. However I thought Gord's voice was just very weak rather than it being a low mic. But your theory is just as good as mine. Hope yours is right too. :(

Well at one point you can see him look like he's belting it out and then all of a sudden, the volume cranks so I think it was just the sound guy. The mike to the far side and the one next to it were Keelor and Cuddy's and the rest were probably set up for backup vocals.

Did you see the Mansbridge interview in October? He can't remember lyrics or names because of the tumour so he writes names on his hands and needed 6 prompters during MMP and a few for Secret Path. This looked like an impromptu session at the end of the show. The pic of the 3 Gords was posted before the show, it would have been cool to have Lightfoot come up as well. I saw him at Massey Hall in November, he's 76 or 78, I forget, and he can't project his voice as much but he's still got it. I saw Gord Downie perform Secret Path in October and he was fantastic.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Well at one point you can see him look like he's belting it out and then all of a sudden, the volume cranks so I think it was just the sound guy. The mike to the far side and the one next to it were Keelor and Cuddy's and the rest were probably set up for backup vocals.

Did you see the Mansbridge interview in October? He can't remember lyrics or names because of the tumour so he writes names on his hands and needed 6 prompters during MMP and a few for Secret Path. This looked like an impromptu session at the end of the show. The pic of the 3 Gords was posted before the show, it would have been cool to have Lightfoot come up as well. I saw him at Massey Hall in November, he's 76 or 78, I forget, and he can't project his voice as much but he's still got it. I saw Gord Downie perform Secret Path in October and he was fantastic.
I am glad to hear you say that he's still got it.

Like a helluva lot of Canadians, it is obvious that this whole thing is affecting you and I and millions of Canadians. We grew up listening to Downie and the Hip. Back when 'Up To Here' was released there was still a large market for cassette tapes. I bet that between 1990 to 2000 I must have burned through 4 or 5 copies of that album.

But thanks for all this. It's cool that I'm learning some new things from you.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
That video just reminded me, if anyone hasn't checkout out the album Gord Downie recorded with The Sadies, do yourself a favour and go listen to it now.

This is a live show they did together for CBC a while back. They did some of Gord's solo stuff, some Hip stuff, and some Sadies stuff. Even pulled out a nice cover of Search And Destroy.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That video just reminded me, if anyone hasn't checkout out the album Gord Downie recorded with The Sadies, do yourself a favour and go listen to it now.

This is a live show they did together for CBC a while back. They did some of Gord's solo stuff, some Hip stuff, and some Sadies stuff. Even pulled out a nice cover of Search And Destroy.

Do you have The Grand Bounce? I love every song on that album. I can't find Coke Machine Glow anywhere. I have his book of poetry but the CD is nowhere to be found. Chancellor is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Every Thursday between 7 pm and 11 pm eastern time there is a Hip/Gord/CanCon radio station, mostly Hip and Gord. It's almost exclusively live, not studio album material. If you're on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/theHip/ is where a lot of us hang out, and there is a game day thread Thursdays for the radio show where we can post requests or just dance and sing together :)

http://rbxradio.com/

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Do you have The Grand Bounce? I love every song on that album. I can't find Coke Machine Glow anywhere. I have his book of poetry but the CD is nowhere to be found. Chancellor is one of my favourite songs of all time.

http://rbxradio.com/

I listened to a bit of the first video. I loved this version of Fire In The Hole.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Gordie's solo stuff. To me it was way too folk music for me when I was younger at least. I went into Coke Machine Glow expecting it to be some what of a Hip type album but it wasn't at all. But I've gone back and listened to some of his solo stuff now and its growing on me.

I like
Into The Night
Figment
Christmas Time In Toronto
Canada Geese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad