Proposal: Trading up in the draft?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
It would take Silfverberg plus our first round pick. I'd do it but I may be overvaluing Monahan. Truth is I think he's been a better junior than Logan Couture and I'd settle for what he's become.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Silfverberg is going to be our future 1st line winger, to package him for an aging vet or just flat out trade him for a top pick is kind of dumb

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Maybe we can use the higher pick to develop a player, spend time on him, slowly groom him for the big leagues, wait until he has a bit of success with the main team, and then roll him into a draft pick right at that point too.

Makes sense, in a gerbil on a spinning wheel sort of way. :sarcasm:

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I would rather use our assets to get a top 4 d or top 3 winger that can play next season.

WhiteLight*

Maybe we can use the higher pick to develop a player, spend time on him, slowly groom him for the big leagues, wait until he has a bit of success with the main team, and then roll him into a draft pick right at that point too.

Makes sense, in a gerbil on a spinning wheel sort of way. :sarcasm:

It's worth it if the younger player is better obviously... the gerbil becomes more fit running on that spinning wheel.

39th overall --> 5th overall. Great job.

TheOriginalSilf*

I don't see Carolina making that trade, so it's irrelevant.

WhiteLight*

But you have to go for the cup eventually. You can't keep extending the rebuild indefinitely.

Obviously. I'm not looking to trade Silf. But if I could get the 5th for him I'd probably do it because the 5th is likely to be better.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wouldn't trade Silfverberg anyway because I think he's in for a breakout, but there isn't a team out there that would trade the 5th overall for Silfverberg. At least in my opinion. You would need to add to Silfverberg to reach that high.

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
Why is Silfverberg untouchable? How does everyone know he will be a first line winger? Is he on pace for Stamkos-like goals in a season? I don't get how some overvalue him and claim he is untouchable. Could we wait until he plays one, maybe two consecutive seasons where lockouts won't occur and see what gives after 82 full games, assuming he's injury free? If and when he breaks out, then we can decide whether he is to be moved or not.

With that said, as much as I would love to get Monahan, I'd probably have to skip that offer as much as it would pain me to do so. Because I believe in Silfverberg as much as everyone else does. I just want to see him properly develop before we put him in any trade requests.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think we could get a top-seven pick for him, and I'm not sure I would trade him for anything lower, so it's a moot point (imo).

WhiteLight*

Why is Silfverberg untouchable? How does everyone know he will be a first line winger? Is he on pace for Stamkos-like goals in a season? I don't get how some overvalue him and claim he is untouchable. Could we wait until he plays one, maybe two consecutive seasons where lockouts won't occur and see what gives after 82 full games, assuming he's injury free? If and when he breaks out, then we can decide whether he is to be moved or not.

With that said, as much as I would love to get Monahan, I'd probably have to skip that offer as much as it would pain me to do so. Because I believe in Silfverberg as much as everyone else does. I just want to see him properly develop before we put him in any trade requests.

two_face.jpg

Katty+Perry+-+Hot+N+Cold.jpg

black+and+white.jpg

Hattrick Swayzie*

Wow you people are insane. In no way us silf worth a top 5 draft pick.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Pick's wise most people would not trade a 5th overall for Silfverberg.

But what's most likely going to happen is it's a tossup whether or not the player picked at 5th overall will reach, or be better than Silfverberg.

It's a commodity that drops pretty hard in value once it solidifies.

WhiteLight*

The two paragraphs are like night and day. First you say he's far from untouchable and question people who think he'll be a top 6 winger. Then you say you wouldn't trade him at all and believe in him just as much as anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: