Proposal: Trading up for Matvei Michkov

Would you be willing to trade up for Michkov if he drops out of the top 8?

• Yes

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Listening to the NHL Network the sense is GMs are not going use a high pick, or risk their jobs, for a guy they might not see in the NHL until 2026. Very high risk pick for most organizations and their management. With that said, he would make a perfect wing for CB and would come in at at time when the Hawks are most likely competing in the playoffs.

The speculation was…if Michkov drops to 8, 9 or 10 would Chicago be willing to use the Tampa pick + to get him?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Listening to the NHL Network the sense is GMs are not going use a high pick, or risk their jobs, for a guy they might not see in the NHL until 2026. Very high risk pick for most organizations and their management. With that said, he would make a perfect wing for CB and would come in at at time when the Hawks are most likely competing in the playoffs.

The speculation was…if Michkov drops to 8, 9 or 10 would Chicago be willing to use the Tampa pick + to get him?
Yes they would

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Depends on the ask. Coyotes traded 27, 35, and 45 for 11 last year. So if it’s 19 and not their second. Sure

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I would be shocked if the Caps pass on him given their relationship with Russian players
He doesn't fit their window of helping Ovi break Gretzky's goal record.

I don't see the Sharks not taking him, but if he's past 10 I think it's a good time to jump up

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He doesn't fit their window of helping Ovi break Gretzky's goal record.

I don't see the Sharks not taking him, but if he's past 10 I think it's a good time to jump up

He would help usher in the new wave. Ovi isn't getting any younger. It would be a smooth transition for Ovi to retire and that kid to step in in 3 years (hell he'll likely play with Ovi for a year for his retirement tour like Mario did with Crosby).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He will either be gambled in your Arizona as they wait 3 years for tgeir arena to ve built But only IF Tempe voters agree to finance it =referendum coming up later this month so they will know before the draft IF they go-ahead on zmychkov gamble or not....Fits with their time line if arena approved and till they get an arena with proper capacity they will not realky be adding top ufas to ve competitive anyway= timeliness of 5 years out ...so they can afford to wait IF they get new Arena and then add the necessary top free agentscto put then into cup contention..That scenario cannot hapoen if Tempe voters turn them down.We will know later this month how this goes..

OR if Mychkiv falls to Washington then they as a Russian shop could gMble on hom because Ovechkin can lean on his pal Putin to get him over as soon as his KHL cobtract expires so he can arrive in the NHL by 26/27 season.. no extra time kept in Russia by Putin..

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If he’s still there after the top 10, absolutely. But someone is going to take a chance before that.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
If I had to guess, teams in need of D may panic and reach after Reinbacher is off the board, meaning some of the traditional Top 10 forwards may slip. Does that mean that Michkov slips? Probably not.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You should never build your team on 2 small guys ...sorry but it is structurally wrong if Hawks did that.

Hawks already have Nazar in pipeline.. a top 6 of Bedard ,Mychkov and Nazar composing half of your top six is too many small guys..The need is to add bigs...

KD's plan Now shoukd be add an average size skill guy at #19= Stenberg/Gauthier/Nadeau= all 5'11 around 180 lbs depending on who still in on the board and whether you want a Lw /RW /or Center at #19.

Then take no chances in round 2...First 2 picks at #35 and #44= ought to be Bigs up front=Danny Nelson and David Edstrom= get 2 Bugs at C...
For next 2picks in round 2 ,get either 1 Dman and 1 goalie or 2 dman if top 2 dmen targets in 50-70 range as we rank them are still on the board.

At #68 in roubd 3 either go for another big guy from u.S. preo system asxa development project who will develop over at leastc3 seasobs in NCAa.

This is a better plan than risking draft capital on "waiting for Mychkov"...

Besides imagine tge cap hit Bedard and Michkov coukdvimpose in tge future ifvon the smell team..You cannot afford 2 max co tracts eating up 40% of your cap space abd both okayers on smaller side with not great defensive games ..

Structuralky you need better support talents and some impact bigger bodies mixed into your lineup..You are not goibg to win Cups ifvyou have both Bedard and Mychkov in the lineup together and have to shed good support depth due to cap co straits.

Even in Edmonton where McDavid and Draisaitk impose cap issue for depth for Edmonton expiring flaws I rest of lineup.. at least you have 2 pkayers not as sheimpy as Bedardxand Mychkovand Nazar are. .si get Real . We shoukd not pursue Mychkov...make no sense for us structurally or for our cap future when Bedard and Mychkov hot tgeirvprome years.
Forget it.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

monkforasia

May 8, 2023
I think someone else said it best. It's easier to find players for size vs skill. Ive seen proposals about taking on salary for firsts. We need to do it for this draft and trade up for premium players to pair with bedard. Ultimate troll would be taking on salary dump from Vancouver and getting their 11th. Their boards would melt down, which I would love after all the insults they hurled at Blackhawk fans.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You should never build your team on 2 small guys ...sorry but it is structurally wrong if Hawks did that.

Hawks already have Nazar in pipeline.. a top 6 of Bedard ,Mychkov and Nazar composing half of your top six is too many small guys..The need is to add bigs...

KD's plan Now shoukd be add an average size skill guy at #19= Stenberg/Gauthier/Nadeau= all 5'11 around 180 lbs depending on who still in on the board and whether you want a Lw /RW /or Center at #19.

Then take no chances in round 2...First 2 picks at #35 and #44= ought to be Bigs up front=Danny Nelson and David Edstrom= get 2 Bugs at C...
For next 2picks in round 2 ,get either 1 Dman and 1 goalie or 2 dman if top 2 dmen targets in 50-70 range as we rank them are still on the board.

At #68 in roubd 3 either go for another big guy from u.S. preo system asxa development project who will develop over at leastc3 seasobs in NCAa.

This is a better plan than risking draft capital on "waiting for Mychkov"...

Besides imagine tge cap hit Bedard and Michkov coukdvimpose in tge future ifvon the smell team..You cannot afford 2 max co tracts eating up 40% of your cap space abd both okayers on smaller side with not great defensive games ..

Structuralky you need better support talents and some impact bigger bodies mixed into your lineup..You are not goibg to win Cups ifvyou have both Bedard and Mychkov in the lineup together and have to shed good support depth due to cap co straits.

Even in Edmonton where McDavid and Draisaitk impose cap issue for depth for Edmonton expiring flaws I rest of lineup.. at least you have 2 pkayers not as sheimpy as Bedardxand Mychkovand Nazar are. .si get Real . We shoukd not pursue Mychkov...make no sense for us structurally or for our cap future when Bedard and Mychkov hot tgeirvprome years.
Forget it.
"You should never build your team on 2 small guys"

......looks at Tampa with Kucherov & Point...yeah they did just fine there lol...

Fiddy acts like you can't fill out the rest of your roster with bigger players and have a good blend of size and skill like Stamkos and Hedman...

If only Tampa didn't hit gold with Kucherov and Point they would have won more cups...sigh..

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Michkov slipping to #8 is very possible, but the Hawks would have to make some major moves to get this kid. We'd have to trade a lot of picks and take on some cap dumps to do so.

I would personally want to take on the OEL contract to do so. I was thinking of this hypothetical trade;

Hawks get: Montreals 5th oa (Michkov), OEL contract
Vancouver get: Hawks 44th oa, Alec Regula
Habs get: Vancouver 11th oa, Podkolzin, Hawks 52nd oa

Not sure who is off in value here, but I'd love for something like this to happen.
Basically Vancouver trades down 33 spots and trades podkolzin to get rid of the worst contract in the league. Montreal improves their prospect pool and trades down.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Michkov could end up being better than Berard----not saying he will, but could and thus even though he's not playing in the NHL any time soon and there's some risk on the Russian front, he will go in the Top 5.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I think someone else said it best. It's easier to find players for size vs skill. Ive seen proposals about taking on salary for firsts. We need to do it for this draft and trade up for premium players to pair with bedard. Ultimate troll would be taking on salary dump from Vancouver and getting their 11th. Their boards would melt down, which I would love after all the insults they hurled at Blackhawk fans.

I don't think Vancouver would completely part ways with 11th overall to be rid of OEL but that would be a really nasty contract to eat considering we'll have to account for a potential $13.5 million dollar AAV for Bedard in the summer of 2026

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think Vancouver would completely part ways with 11th overall to be rid of OEL but that would be a really nasty contract to eat considering we'll have to account for a potential $13.5 million dollar AAV for Bedard in the summer of 2026
I honestly have no clue what the Canucks do. That team is structured to win now with the amount of big contracts it has. They have a number of RFA's to sign as well...they may not want to pony up the 11th overall but they have to do something to move out 1 or 2 of those contracts, namely OEL. The Canucks have to be in the worst shape cap wise I have seen so far...

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Trading up in the NHL doesn't work that well.

Scouting is a lot of luck and players aren't as obvious when it comes to their talent, like the NFL per say.

I would rather use all of our picks and take all the swings.

Reactions: Idionym

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I would say he would have to make #11 before we could have a chance to move up. Van, AZ buff pitt nash and calgary would be people that could consider moving down to 19 with the right package coming back. van tyler myers for 19 and a 2nd, buff 13 to chicago murph and 19 back, Pitt and maybe taylor raddsyh and 19 and for 14? maybe same for Cal.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know, man.... he'd have to drop probably below a dozen+ before I'd really think about. Skill-wise seems pretty undeniable, but I'm not really that comfortable spending premium draft capital on the KHL right now given certain things.

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
on april 2nd his dad left their house and said he'd be right back.he never returned and his body was found on the 4th of april.strange things going on with this fellow.he could drop big time unlees someone wants to real gamble on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad