Proposal: Trading up for Matvei Michkov

Would you be willing to trade up for Michkov if he drops out of the top 8?

• Yes

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I honestly have no clue what the Canucks do. That team is structured to win now with the amount of big contracts it has. They have a number of RFA's to sign as well...they may not want to pony up the 11th overall but they have to do something to move out 1 or 2 of those contracts, namely OEL. The Canucks have to be in the worst shape cap wise I have seen so far...
Perpetually so. Regardless of Bedards, i'm so happy KD and Ownership decided to bottom out this team. After 3+ seasons of Bowman with one foot in for rebuilding and the other foot in trying to be competetive...we were going nowhere. Not even mediocrity, just futility. I don't envy fans of Canadian teams. The decisions their front offices make are rarely logical and are too often motivated by short term successes.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Perpetually so. Regardless of Bedards, i'm so happy KD and Ownership decided to bottom out this team. After 3+ seasons of Bowman with one foot in for rebuilding and the other foot in trying to be competetive...we were going nowhere. Not even mediocrity, just futility. I don't envy fans of Canadian teams. The decisions their front offices make are rarely logical and are too often motivated by short term successes.
I hear ya but on the other hand we have Seattle Kraken who shows once again how vital the team game is. Luke has brought a semblance of what that looks like.

So to finish that thought will Hawks accelerate the rebuild and expectations now that Bedard is heading our way? I think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I like Michkov's talent and would love to pair up his talent with Bedard on the power play ... but there is something really uneasy about his situation in Russia. His father was found dead in a pond a month ago, allegedly of natural causes after going missing for 2 days. There are UNSUBSTANTIATED rumors his father was not happy about that current KHL contract ... perhaps wanting his son to get to the US sooner.

It's just all so bizarre. Michkov is a great talent, but I'm not giving much to move up in the draft to get him. There's just too much negative vibe / uncertainty surrounding the kid. I feel terrible for him (a lot of it is not his doing), but that's just the truth.

Most I give are ONE of our later 2nds and perhaps 3rd this year to move up from our later first. And even then, we need assurances he gets to the US sooner than later. He needs to get out of Russia ASAP.

Last edited:

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
Would absolutely trade up to get him. Unless you hit the jackpot at 19, anyone you'd be getting would be easily replaceable, there's almost zero chance that player would be anywhere close to Michkovs level, even the chance of that player being a top 6 guy is pretty low. He's worth the risk which is being massively overblown.

I don't see him falling though, he's going to be a top 6 pick without a doubt, in fact I think there's like 10% he falls past San Jose at 4.

The only way I say no is if it takes our unprotected 1st next year.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I like Michkov's talent and would love to pair up his talent with Bedard on the power play ... but there is something really uneasy about his situation in Russia. His father was found dead in a pond a month ago, allegedly of natural causes after going missing for 2 days. There are UNSUBSTANTIATED rumors his father was not happy about that current KHL contract ... perhaps wanting his son to get to the US sooner.

It's just all so bizarre. Michkov is a great talent, but I'm not giving much to move up in the draft to get him. There's just too much negative vibe / uncertainty surrounding the kid. I feel terrible for him (a lot of it is not his doing), but that's just the truth.

Most I give are ONE of our later 2nds and perhaps 3rd this year to move up from our later first. And even then, we need assurances he gets to the US sooner than later. He needs to get out of Russia ASAP.
there is a article that was linked fhru some habs about the fact that SKA is putting pressure on him to extend after 3 years and will try force him to stay also the the habs will not draft him and that he will slide way farther then what people are projecting right now. Its also worth noting it says he is coming to the draft?

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
I don't think the risk is overblown. It's real but that's also why he may drop in the draft.

We should have more tolerance for risk than anybody else I think so he seems like a good target for us.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Trading up in the NHL doesn't work that well.

Scouting is a lot of luck and players aren't as obvious when it comes to their talent, like the NFL per say.

I would rather use all of our picks and take all the swings.

Normally agree but if a player falls from top 4 to around 10 because of his contract status then it’s worth it

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

No clue if there's anything to this. But yeah I'm reading of the rumor that his death he might have been linked to trying to get Michkov out of his KHL contract. Yikes.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

No clue if there's anything to this. But yeah I'm reading of the rumor that his death he might have been linked to trying to get Michkov out of his KHL contract. Yikes.
Of course I’m taking this rumor with a huge grain of salt, but if true, wouldn’t that be a good sign rather than a red flag? It would show that he wants to come over and if that’s the case, it will happen sooner or later.

Reactions: ray c

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

cliffs - Doneghey is not concerned about Michkov's KHL contract, he's coming over at some point, but also seems he believes that the media concerns are not accurate and teams are okay with Michkov and he's going to be off the board by 8 or 9

Reactions: Muffinalt and ray c

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Trading up in the NHL doesn't work that well.

Scouting is a lot of luck and players aren't as obvious when it comes to their talent, like the NFL per say.

I would rather use all of our picks and take all the swings.
shouldn't be hard for the analytics team to look at historical data to see if the expected value of the pick they are trading up for is greater than what they are giving up, someone posted a tweet in recent months that has the data, the numbers drop off a cliff as you enter round two as far as finding impact players...lets say Michkov fell to 11 and the ev of him being a top 6 forward is like 95% with any sort of real probability being a top 3 player in draft then theyre probably fine trading every remaining pick for him tbh given base rates, not going to happen but if hes that guy then they should trade up for sure

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
.Team too small with Bedard Nd Mychkov
.Only 1 ouck=not gonna work.

Better idea is to help Bedard with muscle on the wings...get him the puck back ...do tge heavy lifting to suport Bedard...or suooirt Reichel..

Structuralky 2 small flashy guys lije Bedard and Mychkov is goibgvto fail on see kibe .. Or may fail on pp ...Onky 1 puck and it cannot be on the stick of your 2 suoerstr shoutersxat see time.. I just cannot see the logic in having both.

Sorry...it does not make sense.

Neither dies Nazar and Bedard both pkaying Cebter or both on see kibe.

Structurally this is even worse if little mychkov on with eitger of them.

Haws must start addressing the size issue uo front..

Gotta getsome balance for the top 2 lines ..

To paraphrase Craig Buttin a team of alk or toomey little skilled guys justcwill not work...Hawjs Need now to address size in the top 6...We only have Colton Dach ...Reichek does nit okay big eotger..

We must support Brdard,Reichel and Nazar with some bigger physical guys to play with..

Adding Mychkov...plus the extra wait for him issue ...it makes no sense for US and our current pipeline.

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I'm not going to bother trying to read that but size doesn't matter when your team has like 1 NHL caliber player under contract.

If Michkov, Nazar, and Bedard all end up being absolute studs you can trade one of them for a very high pick or a player who fits the roster needs better.

If Michkov ends up being one of the 3 best talents in this draft it's much better to have him and figure out what to do with him later than selecting some big lunk at 19 who is a bottom 6 player.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
if you have a top 5 grade on Michkov you trade whatever you need to get him...you could move 19 and every 2nd round pick and still not end up with equivalent probability of star potential, fortunately if he slips to vancouver they need to dump cap so we could take on some shit contracts to reduce the ask and we keep a 2nd or two

Reactions: thedarkstark

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Size doesn't matter?

Again...I repeat what Craig Button said recently...He insisted you cannot have a team of al small er guys no matter how skilled..I t just is nit goungvtovwork.

Besides...We do not need to get another shot guy lije Mychkov.. If KD wantscto he could move back up into the 2Oss and maybe Bradly Nadeau is still there.. Hiswrust shot is just as good xas Myhkov's and hisx1 timer is better.

So tgere us no need to go for Mychkov . If we want to add anotger top shot.

We have enough pickscto move up matvec2ctones on this board to get a Big and another star smaller shooter.

Forget Mychkov. .he will be taken by Washington gton if he falls (anyway)...Ovie will get hos pal Putin to get Mychkov overafter his KHL co tract is over. Every other team realizes tge risk Outin coukd keep him in Russia even longer.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I love this whole Russia narrative as though Putin puts them in cages after games and if they leave he is going to come to the US and hunt them down like Liam Neeson.

Cubans defect to play in the MLB all the time.

If they have family in Russia he could threaten to harm them yes, but if he wants to leave he's going to leave and there's nothing Putin can do to stop them. Stop with this whole cartoon villain bullshit.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
B2DCF17A-C8CF-46CF-B9A8-6B01DB264573.jpeg

Also Michkov may not be tall but he’s still a tank

• Wow
Reactions: Muffinalt

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
on april 2nd his dad left their house and said he'd be right back.he never returned and his body was found on the 4th of april.strange things going on with this fellow.he could drop big time unlees someone wants to real gamble on him
Which is worth the gamble considering you already have arguably the best player in this draft.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I love this whole Russia narrative as though Putin puts them in cages after games and if they leave he is going to come to the US and hunt them down like Liam Neeson.

Cubans defect to play in the MLB all the time.

If they have family in Russia he could threaten to harm them yes, but if he wants to leave he's going to leave and there's nothing Putin can do to stop them. Stop with this whole cartoon villain bullshit.

Threatening to harm them is definitely a way he can stop them lol

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
Threatening to harm them is definitely a way he can stop them lol
You just leave, once you're on US soil he can't do shit. Again Cubans do it all the time.

Now if you have an 87 year old grandmother who refuses to leave her native country I get that, but beyond that yeah you just leave.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
.Team too small with Bedard Nd Mychkov
.Only 1 ouck=not gonna work.
last year's colorado avalanche were 20th in average height (the hawks were 12th!). their two centers with the most 5v5 TOI in the playoffs were mackinnon (6'1") and kadri (6'0").

2020-21 tampa was 23rd. their top two centers in terms of ice time were gourde (5'9") and point (5'10").

of the teams remaining in the playoffs as i write this, edmonton is the tallest team in the league, vegas is 4th, carolina is 14th, dallas is 16th, seattle is 18th and florida is 29th.

do with this information what you will, but if you believe there is any correlation between what size your team is and winning the cup, recent history would say put your money on seattle and not edmonton.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I'm not going to bother trying to read that but size doesn't matter when your team has like 1 NHL caliber player under contract.

If Michkov, Nazar, and Bedard all end up being absolute studs you can trade one of them for a very high pick or a player who fits the roster needs better.

If Michkov ends up being one of the 3 best talents in this draft it's much better to have him and figure out what to do with him later than selecting some big lunk at 19 who is a bottom 6 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad