Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Wishing on a prayer that Canes make it to the finals is so Dubie. Canes going out in the first round would be typical reality.

Not much better than the returns for Mantha, Wennberg, Monahan. If he returns to Pitts it gets close enough to average. But if he re-signs in Carolina it's a horror show.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Wishing on a prayer that Canes make it to the finals is so Dubie. Canes going out in the first round would be typical reality.

Not much better than the returns for Mantha, Wennberg, Monahan. If he returns to Pitts it gets close enough to average. But if he re-signs in Carolina it's a horror show.
Guentzel is rumored to want BIG money. Carolina is ruthlessly efficient and borderline frugal with their money allocation, they don't overpay often. We will see. I would love to see a re-sign at reasonable value because it makes Dubas look like dog shit and I am a bitter, vindictive man.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think it's that bad of a return in general, a lot of quantity over quality but no one is trading their elite prospects for guys without term and the Penguins' prospect pool was abysmal. It's not good but it's not a total disaster IMO...and I will never, ever, EVER go out of my way to defend Kyle Dubas because he can go eat a bowl of pine cones.

That said, if Dubas values Bunting over a good prospect for a team in Pittsburgh's position he has lost his mind. They need to set a nuclear warhead to that roster ASAP whether Crosby likes it or not. They aren't winning shit anytime soon, full stop.
Ownership and the NMCs will have as much of a say in any rebuild as Dubas will. Right now, this trade is consistent of an in-season seller (a pending UFA for futures+) and not necessarily that of a rebuild. I also can't envision Kyle viewing Bunting as a salary dump. Regardless, this is certainly a different type of transaction for Dubas (he never "had to" sell at the trade deadline when he was here).

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings for the Leafs (and other teams), even if so many of the biggest names are already off the board.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Ownership and the NMCs will have as much of a say in any rebuild as Dubas will. Right now, this trade is consistent of an in-season seller (a pending UFA for futures+) and not necessarily that of a rebuild. I also can't envision Kyle viewing Bunting as a salary dump. Regardless, this is certainly a different type of transaction for Dubas (he never "had to" sell at the trade deadline when he was here).

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings for the Leafs (and other teams), even if so many of the biggest names are already off the board.
I actually really like the early action this year. I’d rather have regular movement the week leading up to the TDL rather than crickets and then one crazy day.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I actually really like the early action this year. I’d rather have regular movement the week leading up to the TDL rather than crickets and then one crazy day.
True enough. I figure the majority of teams to prefer that as well. Leaving business until the last minute puts teams at the mercy of deals falling apart, or fax machines, or not having enough time to pivot elsewhere, or fax machines...

In all seriousness, prices for buyers aren't likely to decrease that much in the final hours and sellers probably won't want to be left with expiring assets and little hope.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I think the return for Guenztel is fine but not perfect obviously. They at least got numbers up prospect wise. He was also hurt which doesn't help his value

He has a particular number of guys he really loves which is kinda weird however. Including the story that he wanted Karlsson here which would have been s disaster. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get Holl eventually also.

The return on Hanifin was ass for example. I wish we could have gotten him

Reactions: Devonator

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Buch and Toffoli biggest forwards on the market now if I'm not mistaken. Buch would be a huge get but I saw they might want 2 1st round picks for him. Maybe they'd accept Robertson and consider him a 2nd 1st round pick from us. Would still like another top 4 right shot defender and wouldn't mind moving Lili to get it. I just don't know who that player could be that'd be available. I would hope Andersson from Calgary but I doubt Calgary would want to move him.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

I mean sure, but ownership didn't twist his arm and make him sign the Eller, Accari, Jarri and graves deals.

Karlsson was basically trading long term for short term pain as well because a lot of the deals they gave away were expiring this year I believe.

It's like how the Shannahan was the puppet master rumor started because he blocked a trade that would have bled us pretty dry asset wise.

Buch and Toffoli biggest forwards on the market now if I'm not mistaken. Buch would be a huge get but I saw they might want 2 1st round picks for him. Maybe they'd accept Robertson and consider him a 2nd 1st round pick from us. Would still like another top 4 right shot defender and wouldn't mind moving Lili to get it. I just don't know who that player could be that'd be available. I would hope Andersson from Calgary but I doubt Calgary would want to move him.

If we could do something like Robertson and a first for Andersson I probably am ok with it. Maybe you get away with that and then use lily in a deal with STL

We unfortunately just don't have that many assets at the moment

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I mean sure, but ownership didn't twist his arm and make him sign the Eller, Accari, Jarri and graves deals.

Karlsson was basically trading long term for short term pain as well because a lot of the deals they gave away were expiring this year I believe.

It's like how the Shannahan was the puppet master rumor started because he blocked a trade that would have bled us pretty dry asset wise.

If we could do something like Robertson and a first for Andersson I probably am ok with it. Maybe you get away with that and then use lily in a deal with STL

We unfortunately just don't have that many assets at the moment
I meant that Dubas couldn't just rebuild simply because he wanted to (FTR, I don't believe he wants or intends to).

Reactions: rocketman588

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
What’s worse the Hanifin return or Guentzel return? I gotta go with Guentzel, Hanifin’s return sucked but he was dictating everything which handcuffed Calgary. The Guentzel return is Dubas once again just being an idiot. I actually think he put value in Bunting because I’m shocked he didn’t get at least 1 of Carolina’s top prospects

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lilly needs to go
Simply because he gets man handled easily and is scared of confrontation. Can't have that in a Dman
TJ Brodie says hi…….

Why do people keep talking about Brodie not being here? He’s absolutely going to be here, and be in the game 1 roster against Boston. Take it to the bank
So your hoping for another first round exit eh……….

Reactions: LeafSteel and BM14

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I feel bad for TJ. There’s a lot going on in his life off the ice, and I honestly can’t imagine I would be handling it any better. He hasn’t been good enough consistently, but he’s had his moments. I just wish he could make it happen
Should have taken a leave of absence then, both for his family and the team, the guys not helping either here imo…….

Pens board is trashing Dubas over the trade.
It was only a matter of time, September’s hope turns into a March nightmare…….

Reactions: BallardEra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino