Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree. I also think Georgiev is more than just a backup goaltender.

For us he's a backup goaltender. He might have potential to grow into a starter and all that but the Leafs have a starter and really don't need to blow really good assets on a position that doesn't really need it. There are so many capable back-up goaltenders in this league.

It would be pretty irresponsible for the Leafs to trade Johnsson for Georgiev. It's laughable that Kapanen alone wouldn't be good enough to the eyes of some people. It blows my mind.

Don't let rival fans or rival beat writers tell you that the Leafs players aren't worth anything remotely good. It seems like a lot of them are on the offensive in that aspect lately and it's usually always the case around this time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For us he's a backup goaltender. He might have potential to grow into a starter and all that but the Leafs have a starter and really don't need to blow really good assets on a position that doesn't really need it. There are so many capable back-up goaltenders in this league.

It would be pretty irresponsible for the Leafs to trade Johnsson for Georgiev. It's laughable that Kapanen alone wouldn't be good enough to the eyes of some people. It blows my mind.

Don't let rival fans or rival beat writers tell you that the Leafs players aren't worth anything remotely good. It seems like a lot of them are on the offensive in that aspect lately and it's usually always the case around this time.

And historically backups/unproven starters have gotten pretty minimal returns in terms of the trade market.

I don't see why this situation is any different

Reactions: SprDaVE

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Mikhayev and Engvall have made Johnsson expendable. Like him as a player but his 3.x mil could be better used.

I think Georgiev is perfect because he's the backup we need now and has the potential to be our future starter if Freddy leaves after next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mikhayev and Engvall have made Johnsson expendable. Like him as a player but his 3.x mil could be better used.

I think Georgiev is perfect because he's the backup we need now and has the potential to be our future starter if Freddy leaves after next season.

He's not going to play a whole lot down the stretch or in the playoffs.

I'd much rather use Johnssons cap space and value to upgrade a position that is a lot more needed and that will be more useful in the playoffs.

Georgiev should be revisited in the off-season if he's not traded by then. Maybe they will relax a little on their insane demand.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I am by no means devaluing Johnsson. I am just placing a higher value on Georgiev than others based on his age and his potential ceiling.

Regarding Georgiev's potential role on our club, I think the issue we've had the last few years here is that we've relied too much on Freddy, and he has burned out in the playoffs every time as a result.

What if Georgiev was more of a tandem goaltender for us that could also step in as the starter in case of injury? Giving up Johnsson would be worth it in that scenario.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Apparently, Minny is looking for a Skilled C, over a wing.

A Deal around Kerfoot/Dumba?
There would need to be a significant add on Toronto's side.

I get the impression that Guerin is focused on a retool rather than a rebuild, which could play in to Toronto's favour. Either Dumba/Brodin would be excellent fits here, preferably the former.

They currently have Victor Rask getting reps in at 2nd line C which speaks to their anemic C depth. I'd comfortably offer a base of:

Kerfoot + Barrie +

Only problem is that they are crowded up front so a quantity-based deal becomes problematic unless we take contracts back.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am by no means devaluing Johnsson. I am just placing a higher value on Georgiev than others based on his age and his potential ceiling.

Regarding Georgiev's potential role on our club, I think the issue we've had the last few years here is that we've relied too much on Freddy, and he has burned out in the playoffs every time as a result.

What if Georgiev was more of a tandem goaltender for us that could also step in as the starter in case of injury? Giving up Johnsson would be worth in that scenario.

Andersen doesn't do tandems. He's even said that he wants to play more and feels like sitting out his regular game got him off his groove in terms of his play. Ever since he sat out that non-back to back game, he's been terrible.

Either way, using Johnssons cap space and value on defence is so much more needed and the value is a lot better for this team based on our needs.

With all that said, Georgiev apparently is more valuable than Kapanen, so this conversation is completely over. There's really no need to put all our eggs in a backup goaltender basket. We definitely need a better back-up goaltender but this isn't it.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There would need to be a significant add on Toronto's side.

I get the impression that Guerin is focused on a retool rather than a rebuild, which could play in to Toronto's favour. Either Dumba/Brodin would be excellent fits here, preferably the former.

They currently have Victor Rask getting reps in at 2nd line C which speaks to their anemic C depth. I'd comfortably offer a base of:

Kerfoot + Barrie +

Only problem is that they are crowded up front so a quantity-based deal becomes problematic unless we take contracts back.

Kerfoot/Kapanen + Liljegren may get their attention, but im not sure if id do it from thr Leafs pov

Dumba is my favorite player on the Wild - but his man strength is the offensive zone, and the Leafs really dont need that right now.

Brodin could probably be had for a little less.

Reactions: stickty111

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

What if Georgiev was more of a tandem goaltender for us that could also step in as the starter in case of injury? Giving up Johnsson would be worth it in that scenario.

Yes, and yes.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Andersen doesn't do tandems. He's even said that he wants to play more and feels like sitting out his regular game got him off his groove in terms of his play. Ever since he sat out that non-back to back game, he's been terrible.

Either way, using Johnssons cap space and value on defence is so much more needed and the value is a lot better for this team based on our needs.

With all that said, Georgiev apparently is more valuable than Kapanen, so this conversation is completely over. There's really no need to put all our eggs in a backup goaltender basket.

Fair point regarding Andersen's preference, but overplaying him in the regular season hasn't exactly worked out well for us in the playoffs so far. If his workload was limited to 50 games, maybe that trend would change.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kerfoot/Kapanen + Liljegren may get their attention, but im not sure if id do it from thr Leafs pov

Dumba is my favorite player on the Wild - but his man strength is the offensive zone, and the Leafs really dont need that right now.

If Minny is trading Dumba they are not waiting for when it is right for Leafs. Acquiring Dumba now, solves the eventual loss of Barrie. Heck you could even entertain moving Barrie before the TDL.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Value wise, you're right in that Liljegren would be more appealing to them than Barrie as a controlled asset, but they have quite a few young up and coming d-men too. Soucy has shown he can play both LD and RD, and Belpedio is on the come up. Tricky trade partner.

If Brodin could be had in a hockey trade for one of the three expendable wingers, it's a no brainer in my mind.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Fair point regarding Andersen's preference, but overplaying him in the regular season hasn't exactly worked out well for us in the playoffs so far. If his workload was limited to 50 games, maybe that trend would change.

That's pretty fair and like I said, we do need a more reliable back up (even if Hutchinson is 3-0-0 in his last 3 with a ~.945%).

Trading one of our pretty valuable scoring wingers, and maybe even more, for a back-up before the deadline seems like a pretty bad idea when we have a pretty significant hole defensively.

There are many teams looking for valuable, and young, capable top 6 wingers but for some reason, everyone keeps saying the ones we have aren't worth that much and are overrated. This happens almost every trade deadline with the Leafs where all their assets are low but the ones they want are worth more than the price of gold.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Minny is trading Dumba they are not waiting for when it is right for Leafs. Acquiring Dumba now, solves the eventual loss of Barrie. Heck you could even entertain moving Barrie before the TDL.

I dont think the Leafs will like what the asking price is for Dumba though. Thats the issue: hes probably that teams most valuable trade asset

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Value wise, you're right in that Liljegren would be more appealing to them than Barrie as a controlled asset, but they have quite a few young up and coming d-men too. Soucy has shown he can play both LD and RD, and Belpedio is on the come up. Tricky trade partner.

If Brodin could be had in a hockey trade for one of the three expendable wingers, it's a no brainer in my mind.

Id do AJ or Kerfoot for Brodin. Not sure about Kap.

Dubas seems to like trades where the return player still has a bit of term and Brodin is signed into next season which would entice the Leafs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jonas Brodin is interesting. Would mean we wouldn't need to sign Muzzin to an extension we may regret in year 3 or 4.

Rielly - Barrie
Brodin - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl

Would be interesting next season. Put the RD's in any order you want based on fit, and we are pretty close to 3 pairings we can trust in all situations.

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's pretty fair and like I said, we do need a more reliable back up (even if Hutchinson is 3-0-0 in his last 3 with a ~.945%).

Trading one of our pretty valuable scoring wingers, and maybe even more, for a back-up before the deadline seems like a pretty bad idea when we have a pretty significant hole defensively.

There are many teams looking for valuable, and young, capable top 6 wingers but for some reason, everyone keeps saying the ones we have aren't worth that much and are overrated. This happens almost every trade deadline with the Leafs where all their assets are low but the ones they want are worth more than the price of gold.
Mirtle is pretty well comnected to league sources, and said Kapanen is worth a top 4 defenceman. Many teams are interested in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad