Trades and Free Agent talk- Action started

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was banging the Campbell drum earlier this season, I like Clifford too but always knew it would require retention.

I think the trade addresses 2/3 of our most glaring needs. I thought we paid on the higher end of scale for what we got back because at the end of the day, these guys are depth pieces at the end of the day.

Hopefully he is able to acquire a defenseman because that is the #1 most glaring need and will have the most impact on our roster.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I was banging the Campbell drum earlier this season, I like Clifford too but always knew it would require retention.

I think the trade addresses 2/3 of our most glaring needs. I thought we paid on the higher end of scale for what we got back because at the end of the day, these guys are depth pieces at the end of the day.

Hopefully he is able to acquire a defenseman because that is the #1 most glaring need and will have the most impact on our roster.

I firmly believe he will now. Wasn't so convinced before the trade but am now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's definitely among the pricier side of recent trades for "back ups" but not many back-ups are signed past this season, let alone 2 seasons, and the deal included a fully retained Clifford. If it was JUST for Campbell, then yeah this is a pricey deal.

We don't have Wayne Gretzky to trade for Georgiev either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dubas is once again the GM to start things off. He did last year and did again this year.

I have no idea how what he'll do for that coveted RHD but... we'll see.

It's funny since yesterday I was just saying Clifford should be a target. He's a great possession player AND gives us physicality.

Rielly Cap Hit - Leafs have 2.2 space, need 5.0, without a trade to bring Rielly back, 4 players have to be demoted.
(Hutchinson, Kaskisiu, Marincin, Engvall)

Ceci Injury - Short term, Long term, immoveable now?

A trade with Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot leaving and a defender coming back with even a $300k savings saves Engvall, and chases Gauthier or Timashov. Want a defender with term coming back, so unlikely the other team retains on a long term deal. Optionally, if the incoming player was a RFA, retention then would be a viable option.

If Clifford can play any center, or Spezza moves to center, I'd keep Timashov over Gauthier because I think he's hungrier, but if that is a no go then Timashov gets waived. Not a huge loss either way.

A short term injury to Ceci ... can't go on LTIR and no value in a trade, so it could cost assets to move him. Ducks I believe said they would facilitate moving a bad contract for asset(s). Does Bracco and injured Ceci get you a late round pick?

So shopping probably going to be a RFA, or a defender with less than 3.0 Cap Hit, or a multiple player deal or rental with prospects coming back.

Again, would be disappointed to move a long term asset for a rental, but with the Cap situation some things will just not work.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly Cap Hit - Leafs have 2.2 space, need 5.0, without a trade to bring Rielly back, 4 players have to be demoted.
(Hutchinson, Kaskisiu, Marincin, Engvall)

Ceci Injury - Short term, Long term, immoveable now?

A trade with Kapanen, Johnsson, or Kerfoot leaving and a defender coming back with even a $300k savings saves Engvall, and chases Gauthier or Timashov. Want a defender with term coming back, so unlikely the other team retains on a long term deal. Optionally, if the incoming player was a RFA, retention then would be a viable option.

If Clifford can play any center, or Spezza moves to center, I'd keep Timashov over Gauthier because I think he's hungrier, but if that is a no go then Timashov gets waived. Not a huge loss either way.

A short term injury to Ceci ... can't go on LTIR and no value in a trade, so it would cost assets to move him. Ducks I believe said they would facilitate moving a bad contract for asset(s). Does Bracco and injured Ceci get you a late round pick?

So shopping probably going to be a RFA, or a defender with less than 3.0 Cap Hit, or a multiple player deal or rental with prospects coming back.

Again, would be disappointed to move a long term asset for a rental, but with the Cap situation somethings will just not work.

I just don't see many fits for a RHD upgrade with term before the dead line. I really don't. Even if we offer Kapanen or Johnsson. We have zero picks to play with now either.

Seems like Dubas been good at hiding his hand though. There was very little links between the Leafs and the Kings about Campbell outside of fans making those links.

My expectations are pretty damn low I think but maybe there's something out there that hasn't been reported on.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just don't see many fits for a RHD upgrade with term before the dead line. I really don't. Even if we offer Kapanen or Johnsson. We have zero picks to play with now either.

Seems like Dubas been good at hiding his hand though. There was very little links between the Leafs and the Kings about Campbell outside of fans making those links.

They might be able grab someone from the minors who is excelling at his position, and cost controlled with a good cap hit.

I do think they have to move a contract though. Might be better in the summer when they know Mikheyev's status.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They might be able grab someone from the minors who is excelling at his position, and cost controlled with a good cap hit.

I do think they have to move a contract though. Might be better in the summer when they know Mikheyev's status.

You mean like Liljegren? ;)

I think any RHD addition is for a clear cut upgrade. None of this "Well... Maybe... if..."

Reactions: Rielly4

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You mean like Liljegren? ;)

I think any RHD addition is for a clear cut upgrade. None of this "Well... Maybe... if..."

A second pairing RHD would give them 2 second pairing RHD, Barrie and the new guy.

They are running with two 3rd. pairing defenders Holl and Ceci right now, along with I got it I shoot it Barrie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I firmly believe he will now. Wasn't so convinced before the trade but am now.

It's definitely among the pricier side of recent trades for "back ups" but not many back-ups are signed past this season, let alone 2 seasons, and the deal included a fully retained Clifford. If it was JUST for Campbell, then yeah this is a pricey deal.

We don't have Wayne Gretzky to trade for Georgiev either.

I think if we didn't trade our 1st to move Marleau, then maybe the 2nd could have been moved for Geogiev.

I think if we've gone this far then we need to go for a defenseman.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I don't think Dubas is done. I expect a forward to move out for a RD. I'd love to get a DeMelo is we can extend him. A solid third pairing guy for many years who got a bigger chance and actually excelled. Don't think he's a target unless we are sure we can get that extension.
why? Seems to me like Holl and liljegren will be our RDs and neither will be top pair.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Manson
Ritchie
A pick(?)

for

Kapanen
Dermott
Ceci

?

Change Kapanen to Johnsson, remove the pick.

Funny enough, we're pretty weak with RW after Marner and Nylander with natural right handed wingers. Kapanen is one of them but if he's traded we have... uh... Bracco... and then... Aberg...

Keeping Kapanen is pretty important to me.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Funny enough, we're pretty weak with RW after Marner and Nylander with natural right handed wingers. Kapanen is one of them but if he's traded we have... uh... Bracco... and then... Aberg...

They're pretty loaded at LW aren't they? Plus Kapanen has the value to pull it off, I don't think Johnsson does. I believe Engvall plays both wings right?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
great now get another heavy forward and/or D

We hardly needed to get the heavy forward we already got. We are fine with grit. One of the least important things we need, if not the least important thing. We already had to overpay to get Clifford, we should not be looking to do it again.

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Korshkov can play RW. We have been using him 50/50 between the wings on the Marlies because LW is his clearest path right now, but he can definitely play both.

Timashov can play both, Spezza is more of a RW. They are not "right-handed" but that's hardly a big deal TBH.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Korshkov can play RW. We have been using him 50/50 between the wings on the Marlies because LW is his clearest path right now, but he can definitely play both.

Timashov can play both, Spezza is more of a RW. They are not "right-handed" but that's hardly a big deal TBH.

I never said it's a big deal but it's something to consider on the impact of the lines.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They're pretty loaded at LW aren't they? Plus Kapanen has the value to pull it off, I don't think Johnsson does. I believe Engvall plays both wings right?

Silfverberg, Rakell, Kase, Terry, Rowney and Sprong are all their right handed natural RWers (or centers converted to wingers). Rakell has been playing LW.

After Rakell in their lines, they have Jones, Ritchie and Deslauriers. (Comtois in the minors I guess?)

So no... definitely not loaded with LWers.

Technically any winger can play their off-side to a certain degree. Engvall can probably do it but he's a left handed shot. It's not always optimal to have a lineup with a lot more LH shots over RH.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Silfverberg, Rakell, Kase, Terry, Rowney and Sprong are all their right handed natural RWers (or centers converted to wingers). Rakell has been playing LW.

After Rakell in their lines, they have Jones, Ritchie and Deslauriers. (Comtois in the minors I guess?)

So no... definitely not loaded with LWers.

Technically any winger can play their off-side to a certain degree. Engvall can probably do it but he's a left handed shot. It's not always optimal to have a lineup with a lot more LH shots over RH.

Jones is LW

Lundestrom is LW/C

Comtois LW

I have a feeling it'll be a big price we pay if a deal goes down but I think if Dubas has gone this far, might as well go all the way & get us a defenseman.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Jones is LW

Lundestrom is LW/C

Comtois LW

I have a feeling it'll be a big price we pay if a deal goes down but I think if Dubas has gone this far, might as well go all the way & get us a defenseman.
If this is what were considering no better then Josh anderson ????

Is hyman not a natural right wing?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jones is LW

Lundestrom is LW/C

Comtois LW

Let's put it this way. Even after an injured and sub-par season for Johnsson, he would be their top performing left handed LW by over 10 points. Johnsson fits their need for speed and skill.

No offence to Ritchie, Jones and Comtois but they are hardly what you'd consider gifted offensive players, although I do like Comtois a lot.

Either way, my point is that I'm not sure the Leafs will ever trade Kapanen for a Manson regardless of other parts being thrown. I don't see it. Especially if we're talking about giving up Dermott as well.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

My expectations are pretty damn low I think but maybe there's something out there that hasn't been reported on.

With Rielly, a re-signed Muzz, and Sandin on the left that likely makes Dermott available as well, so depending on how highly regarded he is that could move the needle for a trade partner. If you assume Rielly, Muzz and new guy are the three protected for the X draft that doesn't leave a place for Dermott and with Sandin and new guy added to the 6 he doesn't have a place to show his stuff and enhance his value.

So what is Kap, Dermott, Bracco, Abruzzese and a 2021 second worth to a club wanting to retool or rebuild? Maybe quite a bit because two of these guys step in and help tomorrow.

I had been thinking Barrie would go out for some assets that would help with his replacement as well but they are playing him like Karlsson these days. I could definitely see a more one dimensional RD coming back to offer a physical game playing with Rielly, and Barrie being kept for his offensive contributions. This doesn't exactly fit as a "long term partner for Rielly" but they have to play the hand they are dealt. Obviously the cost would not be Kap + for such a player, but so long as they were clearly better than Ceci (not situationally better like a D man playing under Trotz) it would make the club stronger for the playoff run.

If we look at possible D out there like Larsson and Manson both were great players two years ago but not at all this year. Their clubs both have better GAA than the Leafs so there is no presumptuion their games would improve at all based on a rosier Leaf environment. Not sure who the ideal candidate would be. As you say, something (someone) that hasn't been reported on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce