Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Wpg & Cbs: Goodbye Machacek, Hello Kubalik

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Your definitions of chances are vastly different than mine. Many (most IMO) players cannot show their stuff in practice. There was no pre-season games. It is impossible to evaluate players in practice. His TC recall was not a recall since he did not at all get his chance to prove he belonged. Take a player like...oh how about Kyle Wellwood even. He does not do anything particularly well, all of his success when he's had it comes from his hockey sense in the offensive zone. You can't evaluate that in a practice. Chances means NHL icetime, and reasonable NHL icetime for a particular players role, IMO.

Personality differences is the reason I still believe. Sure he was a vet to the organization, but I think we all know that relationships with people are not static. Machacek clearly felt he had done his time in the AHL, wanted a one-way contract (why he didn't re-sign until September). Clearly him and the organization were not seeing eye to eye as far back as last summer.

I want to show me the somebody who does everything they are asked for 4 years awaiting promotion, finally given their big chance and succeed with fantastic success doing the job that their promotion would give them, then told by their bosses that they are not good enough and bring in somebody with a less stellar resume from another company to take your job. How happy would you be? Would you be completely happy in your job? What if you were then told you couldn't leave the company and had to stay plugging away. I'm sure you would be a bucket of happiness.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Your definitions of chances are vastly different than mine. Many (most IMO) players cannot show their stuff in practice. There was no pre-season games. It is impossible to evaluate players in practice. His TC recall was not a recall since he did not at all get his chance to prove he belonged. Take a player like...oh how about Kyle Wellwood even. He does not do anything particularly well, all of his success when he's had it comes from his hockey sense in the offensive zone. You can't evaluate that in a practice. Chances means NHL icetime, and reasonable NHL icetime for a particular players role, IMO.

Personality differences is the reason I still believe. Sure he was a vet to the organization, but I think we all know that relationships with people are not static. Machacek clearly felt he had done his time in the AHL, wanted a one-way contract (why he didn't re-sign until September). Clearly him and the organization were not seeing eye to eye as far back as last summer.

I want to show me the somebody who does everything they are asked for 4 years awaiting promotion, finally given their big chance and succeed with fantastic success doing the job that their promotion would give them, then told by their bosses that they are not good enough and bring in somebody with a less stellar resume from another company to take your job. How happy would you be? Would you be completely happy in your job? What if you were then told you couldn't leave the company and had to stay plugging away. I'm sure you would be a bucket of happiness.

...I don't play a game I love for living...my job is...you know... work. That's a pretty massive difference. there also isn't 100000 people lining up for my job...

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011

If you can't find a way to motivate yourself through that, then you will not have success in a career such as professional sport that is so based on short-term performance. That's just the reality.

Machacek had not proven he was a lock for the NHL. He is a middling prospect battling for, at best, a fourth-line spot in the NHL. That's a spot that even guys that have established themselves in the NHL for years are ALWAYS at risk of losing... and thus, have to always be fighting to prove they belong. That includes battling to perform well at the AHL night in and night out if you get sent down, to prove you don't belong there anymore.

Meanwhile, Machacek was in the AHL during the lockout, and from everything I've seen and read, was mediocre. After Jets training camp, I'm sure he must have been disappointed when he got sent down. But in his career, he has to be able to find a way to turn that anger and disappointment into motivation. Instead, he went down and played very badly, to the extent that we're hearing "good riddance" from IceCaps fans.

I liked Machacek a lot. I thought he would make the team too. But a guy in his position, with fringe NHL ability, has to prove that he should be in the NHL virtually every game, whether he's AHL or NHL. He didn't -- he dogged it for now essentially an entire AHL season. That's on him. I hope a new organization will spark him and that he continues a nice career, but he's responsible for what he didn't accomplish in the Jets organization.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Sorry that I don't put absolute faith in Chevy. My bad.

Kubalik is similiar asset to Machacek, albeit with a lower ceiling. Glad to see Machacek move on. Sorry to inform people but NHL GM's make mistakes. Many of them. Danny Briere, Chris Kunitz, etc, etc once cleared waivers as well...I'm sorry I don't see that as be all to end all of a player.

Jarmo is a really smart hockey guy, Machacek will likely get a tryout later this season and finally be given a real chance to make the roster next year when Jarmo starts to clear out some of the junk Howson collected (Gillies, MacKenzie, etc).

I don't put absolute faith in Chevy either.

Likewise I don't put absolute faith in a player that ZERO NHL TEAMS WANTED on their active roster for free.

Sure others have cleared waivers and looked good, but IMO Machacek hasn't done anything at any level to indicate he is a diamond in the rough. He is more like a polished turd. He is light on skill and has to work really hard to look like a replacement level 4th liner.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Seriously who cares if Machacek thought he earned his right to play in the NHL or was unhappy playing in the AHL. If you are a fringe player and get sent back to the minors you suck it up and prove you belong. You don't completely crap the bed. He had half as many points as last season in approx same amount of games and was an unfathomable -23. The Jets don't owe him an NHL position he had to earn and he clearly didn't. I'm glad Chevy is weeding out anyone who feels entitled.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
I remember Kmac calling him out for being a problem in the room.As a Icecaps season ticket holder i say good riddence,a bag of pucks is a overpayment for him,they fact you got a player for him with a pulse is impressive.Anyone to defend Spencer id love to see you come here and watch 10 home games with those players,with are 9-17-1-3 record and watch how great Spencer is

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember Kmac calling him out for being a problem in the room.As a Icecaps season ticket holder i say good riddence,a bag of pucks is a overpayment for him,they fact you got a player for him with a pulse is impressive.Anyone to defend Spencer id love to see you come here and watch 10 home games with those players,with are 9-17-1-3 record and watch how great Spencer is

Word. Hopefully the new guy can surprise a few of us.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
There are complaints made here, certainly by me, that this Jets team has a good number of passengers on many nights. And here we are, discussing how a passenger in the AHL was denied a opportunity to be on this team?

Less passengers, please. You wanna be here, prove it. And until you're here, you better keep proving it. Then, when you're here, you again better keep proving. Somebody is ALWAYS looking to steal your job.

How dare Kevin Cheveldayoff and the Winnipeg Jets deny Spencer Machacek an opportunity, then let him go to waivers... where 29 other GM's also denied him an opportunity.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This just confirms the theory of a vast conspiracy by Chevy and Zinger to improve the AHL club at the expense of the NHL team :sarcasm:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Be honest guys, most of us thought Mach was a shoo-in to fill Tanner Glass's spot and with 2 goals and 7 assists in 13 games for the Jets last season he looked promising.

Don't know what happened to the guy between the end of last season and the trade and we may never know.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Finally we acquired that big bodied 1st line RW we've been looking for!
For St. John's

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Be honest guys, most of us thought Mach was a shoo-in to fill Tanner Glass's spot and with 2 goals and 7 assists in 13 games for the Jets last season he looked promising.

Don't know what happened to the guy between the end of last season and the trade and we may never know.

I'd guess that he just felt let down / betrayed by the team when he actually, after a long time, got a real chance in the big league, made the best of the situation, and then was demoted to start the new season. These guys are not robots, different guys will have different reactions to things. Even though the management didn't like his reaction, you have to look at it from both sides. This is a guy who has been playing hard in the minors since he was drafted, and has done a damn fine job.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I actually thought that he played well with the Jets last season
He did, with a +8 over 13 games for the Jets. Seemed like a shoo-in for the Jets this season. But he was an absolute disaster in St John's THIS SEASON (-23). I don't know what went wrong, but he is not the same guy who gave us hope at the tail-end of last season.

Libertyhaze

Jan 10, 2013
Vancouver
Sad to see him go, I really liked his game. He seems like an upgrade on thorburn for rw depth but what do I know, I'm just an armchair GM :sarcasm:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I'd guess that he just felt let down / betrayed by the team when he actually, after a long time, got a real chance in the big league, made the best of the situation, and then was demoted to start the new season. These guys are not robots, different guys will have different reactions to things. Even though the management didn't like his reaction, you have to look at it from both sides. This is a guy who has been playing hard in the minors since he was drafted, and has done a damn fine job.

From my point of view I could completely understand him being upset going back to the AHL after the NHL camp. But the effort was poor since the beginning of the AHL season. Which is why he barely got a look in the NHL camp.

If the effort was poor all season due to the Jets not handing him a 1-way contract, well good riddance. Players with longer, and better, NHL auditions are often denied 1-way contracts. That's just how that works in the NHL.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
From my point of view I could completely understand him being upset going back to the AHL after the NHL camp. But the effort was poor since the beginning of the AHL season. Which is why he barely got a look in the NHL camp.

If the effort was poor all season due to the Jets not handing him a 1-way contract, well good riddance. Players with longer, and better, NHL auditions are often denied 1-way contracts. That's just how that works in the NHL.

Agreed. Look at Scheifele. He was sent down again this season. Did he let it poison his game, thinking that because he got drafted, he was too big for the OHL? No. He doubled down and elevated his game. I don't know what went on down on the farm, but it sounds like Macho phoned it in all year, which tells me that the problem likely stems from contract negotiations.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are complaints made here, certainly by me, that this Jets team has a good number of passengers on many nights. And here we are, discussing how a passenger in the AHL was denied a opportunity to be on this team?

Less passengers, please. You wanna be here, prove it. And until you're here, you better keep proving it. Then, when you're here, you again better keep proving. Somebody is ALWAYS looking to steal your job.

How dare Kevin Cheveldayoff and the Winnipeg Jets deny Spencer Machacek an opportunity, then let him go to waivers... where 29 other GM's also denied him an opportunity.

Agreed 100%. Spencer was garbage this year and that is on him and not the organization.

I'm glad that slowly but surely Chevy is dumping players that have a sense of entitlement, it will go a long way to establishing the right kind of culture.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Agreed 100%. Spencer was garbage this year and that is on him and not the organization.

I'm glad that slowly but surely Chevy is dumping players that have a sense of entitlement, it will go a long way to establishing the right kind of culture.

I agree.

"This is Winnipeg Jets hockey. Shape up or we'll ship you out!"

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Two interchangeable parts traded for one another. I could see them peaking as part-time NHLers at best. Hopefully Kubby can help out the farm team in St. John's the next couple years.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Two interchangeable parts traded for one another. I could see them peaking as part-time NHLers at best. Hopefully Kubby can help out the farm team in St. John's the next couple years.

Kubalik asked for a trade out of Columbus since he was not getting an NHL look. Don't expect Kubalik to stick around in St. John's very long if the Jets don't give him a chance. He can make a lot more money in KHL.

jetkarma*

I semi heard we also made another trade with CBJ , for futures on our part? Any information on this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad