Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Wpg & Cbs: Goodbye Machacek, Hello Kubalik

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
That comparison is beyond ridiculous.

I really don't understand your man crush on Macho.

30 teams agree that he isn't a useful NHLer at 24 years old and the odds are he never will be.

Not to mention from what I can gather those guys turned it around. When they were recalled by LA it was for reason and many fans were happy for it. By all accounts all Machacek has done all year is dog it.

With that being said, I don't have any blind hate for Macho and I won't rag on the player or chew him up and spit him out, not my style whether I like a player or not. I wish him the best of luck and hope Spencer figures it out, puts it all together and finds a role in the NHL with Columbus.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Yet another stupid, stupid move by Cheveldayoff. Machacek has been fantastic every single time he has been called up to the NHL. Kubalik is trash, and not even good enough to make the worst team in the league.

Chevy needs to be fired this summer. Every time he makes a move of any kind, it's a stupid move.

I've looked at this post for several minutes and can't decide whether this is sarcasm, trolling or for real.

I'm confused by the poster's avatar of Mark Scheifele - is it ironic, or is he a fan?

That aside, this is perhaps a like for like trade of disgruntled AHLers, who both may find their way onto the big league club if they have an attitude adjustment. Machacek looked like a bonafide 4th liner, so I wish him the best and hope he makes the Jackets at some point.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
There's probably a bit of pride there as no one wants to admit that another team's AHLer could play on their NHL team.

Err, I don't know. I think if they seriously got a guy they thought could crack their roster for an AHLer that requested a trade a month ago I think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

Maybe they'll call him up before it's all over. They'll likely end up as sellers at the deadline so it is fairly likely. But either way Machacek is is headed to Springfield for now and I don't think he's going to jump ahead of Gillies or Drazovic without showing something in the AHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Not to mention from what I can gather those guys turned it around. When they were recalled by LA it was for reason and many fans were happy for it. By all accounts all Machacek has done all year is dog it.

With that being said, I don't have any blind hate for Macho and I won't rag on the player or chew him up and spit him out, not my style whether I like a player or not. I wish him the best of luck and hope Spencer figures it out, puts it all together and finds a role in the NHL with Columbus.

I have nothing against him either, I just don't see him as a future NHLer. He has 4th line upside and his window is closing. I had already crossed him off my prospect rankings.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting that the reaction on the Columbus board is almost identical to ours. Several people feeling Kubalik was never given a proper chance with the organization, and several others feeling this was a good deal from a change of scenery standpoint.

My guess is that neither player will ever make any kind of meaningful impact in the NHL.

Sounds like a fair assessment of the trade. I have no problems dealing Machacek. Chevy obvious had his concerns and made a swap of career minor league guys.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I have nothing against him either, I just don't see him as a future NHLer. He has 4th line upside and his window is closing. I had already crossed him off my prospect rankings.

Agree, truck.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kubalik is an interesting case. Much like Machacek he always seemed to be on the brink of cracking the roster, but has never been able to take that step and seems to be regressing in AHL. Will grind it out. Don't see him as much more than a 4th liner, but meh.

This is just the just moving on from Machacek whom they had a vendetta against. He should finally get his NHL chance thankfully.

They had a VENDETTA against Machacek?

Good lord.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Good chuckles from this thread.

:handclap:

As I see it, the Blue Jackets just gave up an asset, albeit lower-quality, for a player they could've had for free a month ago.

Must suck hard to be a Jackets' fan.

Oh, and I Trust In Chevy !!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Nothing against Machacek, but he didn't do anything that Wright and Tangradi can't do.

I don't think Kubalik will ever actually reach it, but he has a higher ceiling than Machacek.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Good chuckles from this thread.

:handclap:

As I see it, the Blue Jackets just gave up an asset, albeit lower-quality, for a player they could've had for free a month ago.

Must suck hard to be a Jackets' fan.

Oh, and I Trust In Chevy !!

Nah. If they picked Machacek up on waivers they'd have to play him.

With a trade they can keep him in the AHL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sorry that I don't put absolute faith in Chevy. My bad.

Kubalik is similiar asset to Machacek, albeit with a lower ceiling. Glad to see Machacek move on. Sorry to inform people but NHL GM's make mistakes. Many of them. Danny Briere, Chris Kunitz, etc, etc once cleared waivers as well...I'm sorry I don't see that as be all to end all of a player.

Jarmo is a really smart hockey guy, Machacek will likely get a tryout later this season and finally be given a real chance to make the roster next year when Jarmo starts to clear out some of the junk Howson collected (Gillies, MacKenzie, etc).

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Kubalik is similiar asset to Machacek, albeit with a lower ceiling. Glad to see Machacek move on. Sorry to inform people but NHL GM's make mistakes. Many of them. Danny Briere, Chris Kunitz, etc, etc once cleared waivers as well...I'm sorry I don't see that as be all to end all of a player.

You didn't in LA GM Dean Lombardi, either, but in the end things worked out for LA.

Not saying it will or won't work out for Winnipeg/Cheveldayoff, but I think it's important to remember all GM's will make decisions we don't agree with, it doesn't mean they're not capable and competent within their jobs. For some players, the fit, coaching, players, systems, location, personalities, time in their respective careers, etc.. prohibit things from working out. So many factors that I find it important to not get overly emotionally attached to every move a GM will or will not make.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Jarmo is a really smart hockey guy, Machacek will likely get a tryout later this season and finally be given a real chance to make the roster next year when Jarmo starts to clear out some of the junk Howson collected (Gillies, MacKenzie, etc).

You can have faith in a GM or not but saying that he has a vendetta? I know you are a smarter hockey guy than that, man.

GM's don't get and keep jobs by having vendetta's against players in their org. Where Spencer is this season rests FIRMLY on his and his shoulders alone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You didn't in LA GM Dean Lombardi, either, but in the end things worked out for LA.

Not saying it will or won't work out for Winnipeg/Cheveldayoff, but I think it's important to remember all GM's will make decisions we don't agree with, it doesn't mean they're not capable and competent within their jobs. For some players, the fit, coaching, players, systems, location, personalities, time in their respective careers, etc.. prohibit things from working out. So many factors that I find it important to not get overly emotionally attached to every move a GM will or will not make.

True. It certainly did, but it's not like Lombardi made no mistakes in his tenure in LA. Full props for winning the cup, overall he's been fantastic, but even with that he is not above reproach. Nobody is, like some seem to think.

It was not me who claimed that Chevy was incompetent or not capable. But I extremely dislike the way he has treated certain players. Honestly I am glad to see this trade, glad Chevy is not being vindictive. Return is about what I would have expected. But I am a big believer in giving players their chance when they've earned it, and Chevy denied that to Machacek, IMO. For no good reason I can see, again IMO. But whatever new start for him. Good luck.

Don't think Kubalik will amount to much, honestly I see him heading to KHL after the end of the season, particularly if he doesn't get an audition in NHL down the stretch. We'll see.

You can have faith in a GM or not but saying that he has a vendetta? I know you are a smarter hockey guy than that, man.

GM's don't get and keep jobs by having vendetta's against players in their org. Where Spencer is this season rests FIRMLY on his and his shoulders alone.

Vendetta? Meh, maybe a little strong. But I think Chevy simply did not like Machacek for whatever reason and used whatever reason he could to not give him a chance. Maybe it was a personality disagreement with McCambridge or Chevy was not happy with Machacek holding out for a one-way deal, IDK, but clearly Chevy had no room for him. As I pointed out with Voynov example (Henrique, Burmistrov, Loktionov, hell even Postma according to Caps posters would be others) many players were accused of "not trying" or "mailing it in" while down during the lockout, but Machacek is the only one singled out for this offense? C'mon gimme a break, that's lame. IMO.

I think personality comes in more than people think, and it is not as black and white as people think. Many players simply do not fit in one organization/management team, but do great in others. It's not that they are a BAD personality, it's just that either management doesn't like the guy, or the guy feels mistreated, or whatever, but people like to label people since they didn't fit into THEIR organization as lazy, moody, uncoachable, etc, etc. Ethan Moreau was a captain with Oilers, great locker room guy, but was then a cancer in LA, for example.

Last edited:

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
I just don't see where the belief comes from that Machacek wasn't given a chance. Far as I can tell, he had multiple chances. He earned a call-up last year with solid play on the Rock, and did well. The point production was clearly unsustainable, but he did a good job -- enough to be called to training camp at the start of this season, even though he had been underwhelming in St. John's since the start of the AHL season during the lockout.

By all accounts, he did nothing at all to distinguish himself in training camp, and was sent down. He proceeded to be terrible in St. John's, and did nothing to earn a chance to come back up should he have been needed. Why should that have been rewarded?

So Machacek had chances. He earned one, and made enough of it to earn a second; but when he got that second, for whatever reason he did not perform consistently enough to make it stick or to merit a third. I'm not going to try and read his mind, but he did nothing this year to suggest he deserved to be up here. Seems to me that the organization responded to him as his performance dictated, no more and no less. Which is just fine by me, although like everyone else I loved him during his call-up.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It was not me who claimed that Chevy was incompetent or not capable. But I extremely dislike the way he has treated certain players. Honestly I am glad to see this trade, glad Chevy is not being vindictive. Return is about what I would have expected. But I am a big believer in giving players their chance when they've earned it, and Chevy denied that to Machacek, IMO. For no good reason I can see, again IMO. But whatever new start for him. Good luck.

Vendetta? Meh, maybe a little strong. But I think Chevy simply did not like Machacek for whatever reason and used whatever reason he could to not give him a chance. Maybe it was a personality disagreement with McCambridge or Chevy was not happy with Machacek holding out for a one-way deal, IDK, but clearly Chevy had no room for him. As I pointed out with Voynov example (Henrique, Burmistrov, Loktionov, hell even Postma according to Caps posters would be others) many players were accused of "not trying" or "mailing it in" while down during the lockout, but Machacek is the only one singled out for this offense? C'mon gimme a break, that's lame. IMO.

I think personality comes in more than people think, and it is not as black and white as people think. Many players simply do not fit in one organization/management team, but do great in others. It's not that they are a BAD personality, it's just that either management doesn't like the guy, or the guy feels mistreated, or whatever, but people like to label people since they didn't fit into THEIR organization as lazy, moody, uncoachable, etc, etc. Ethan Moreau was a captain with Oilers, great locker room guy, but was then a cancer in LA, for example.

I disagree with Machacek not being given a chance. I think the fact that he got a camp invite after a poor start in the AHL was evidence that they were giving him a chance, but his (again, this is all alleged) poor attitude and "I've already made it" mindset cost him a roster spot. You don't make a team based off of 15 games the season before, especially on a two-way contract. His chance was an invite to camp and a couple of open roster spots. The only one who denied Machacek a chance, was Machacek when he came to camp. From all accounts in St. John's, he sulked that he didn't make the team. It's all on him.

The argument against the personality difference was that Machacek is a vet to the organization and players. There were no issues last season, and they believed in him enough to call him up for the end of the year, and he did alright.

I don't think Machacek brought anything that is not replaceable. I don't think the Jets are a better team with him in the lineup.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I just don't see where the belief comes from that Machacek wasn't given a chance. Far as I can tell, he had multiple chances. He earned a call-up last year with solid play on the Rock, and did well. The point production was clearly unsustainable, but he did a good job -- enough to be called to training camp at the start of this season, even though he had been underwhelming in St. John's since the start of the AHL season during the lockout.

By all accounts, he did nothing at all to distinguish himself in training camp, and was sent down. He proceeded to be terrible in St. John's, and did nothing to earn a chance to come back up should he have been needed. Why should that have been rewarded?

So Machacek had chances. He earned one, and made enough of it to earn a second; but when he got that second, for whatever reason he did not perform consistently enough to make it stick or to merit a third. I'm not going to try and read his mind, but he did nothing this year to suggest he deserved to be up here. Seems to me that the organization responded to him as his performance dictated, no more and no less. Which is just fine by me, although like everyone else I loved him during his call-up.

I disagree with Machacek not being given a chance. I think the fact that he got a camp invite after a poor start in the AHL was evidence that they were giving him a chance, but his (again, this is all alleged) poor attitude and "I've already made it" mindset cost him a roster spot. You don't make a team based off of 15 games the season before, especially on a two-way contract. His chance was an invite to camp and a couple of open roster spots. The only one who denied Machacek a chance, was Machacek when he came to camp. From all accounts in St. John's, he sulked that he didn't make the team. It's all on him.

The argument against the personality difference was that Machacek is a vet to the organization and players. There were no issues last season, and they believed in him enough to call him up for the end of the year, and he did alright.

I don't think Machacek brought anything that is not replaceable. I don't think the Jets are a better team with him in the lineup.

Exactly my thoughts. Well said. Kevin Cheveldayoff nor the Winnipeg Jets organization denied Spencer Machacek of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad