Speculation: Trade Thread Part XI: New year...no trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, we don't have Stamkos or Ovechkin ripping laser one timers from the faceoff circle.

Ok, so what are you saying, that all of our D's are as good as Mike Green offensively?

I've never been a big Mike Green fan. He was really overrated for a while, and pts is just pts and definitely never an objective way to evalute a player with. But, he isn't even playing top PP minutes for Washington this season, and he is still on pace for 47 pts. We haven't had a D even remotely score that amount of pts in 12 years. TWELVE YEARS.

Green still has a lot of offensive abilities.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Ok, so what are you saying, that all of our D's are as good as Mike Green offensively?

I've never been a big Mike Green fan. He was really overrated for a while, and pts is just pts and definitely never an objective way to evalute a player with. But, he isn't even playing top PP minutes for Washington this season, and he is still on pace for 47 pts. We haven't had a D even remotely score that amount of pts in 12 years. TWELVE YEARS.

Green still has a lot of offensive abilities.

Del Zotto had 41 points like 2 years ago. That's remotely close.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Green isn't the same player he used to be. That being said, he's certainly still a weapon offensively. Implying that he mooches off of Ovie and Backstrom is flat out ridiculous.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Green isn't the same player he used to be. That being said, he's certainly still a weapon offensively. Implying that he mooches off of Ovie and Backstrom is flat out ridiculous.

I can't stand Green think he's a ****** bag and a half but there's no denying his talent. He scored 30 a few seasons ago, we should remember, he scored his 30th at MSG

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I honestly think the organization is torn between selling and buying. Just like the potential Richards buy out from last summer, my gut tells me it's a mixed room. I think the "plan" is to field offers from teams but wait it out till the deadline. If they're in the thick of it, they'll buy, if they're out of it, they'll sell. a MDZ trade could go down at any time imo, I don't think they'll wait around till the deadline. As far as Girardi and Cally, who the hell knows, gun to my head they keep Girardi and trade Cally. We all saw what happened when Stralman got bumped up due to injuries, he couldn't handle it. Replacing Girardi would be harder than replacing Cally imo. In any event I'd trade them both and re-tool but hey what do I know. What I do know is Cally long term would be a bad contract, he's had 3 big injuries in a year now, he's small, his style of play will only hamper him more. Girardi long term wouldn't be as bad, he's been healthy his whole career, but I worry about all the years blocking shots. Oh well. Time will tell

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I honestly think the organization is torn between selling and buying. Just like the potential Richards buy out from last summer, my gut tells me it's a mixed room. I think the "plan" is to field offers from teams but wait it out till the deadline. If they're in the thick of it, they'll buy, if they're out of it, they'll sell. a MDZ trade could go down at any time imo, I don't think they'll wait around till the deadline. As far as Girardi and Cally, who the hell knows, gun to my head they keep Girardi and trade Cally. We all saw what happened when Stralman got bumped up due to injuries, he couldn't handle it. Replacing Girardi would be harder than replacing Cally imo. In any event I'd trade them both and re-tool but hey what do I know. What I do know is Cally long term would be a bad contract, he's had 3 big injuries in a year now, he's small, his style of play will only hamper him more. Girardi long term wouldn't be as bad, he's been healthy his whole career, but I worry about all the years blocking shots. Oh well. Time will tell

I think you're giving Sather and Rangers management too much credit. I don't even think selling is on the table at all to be honest with you. Its push for the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may this summer. More of the same.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Green strikes as the kind of player the Rangers used to acquire. Loads of talent. Comes to MSG, stinks up the joint and becomes a target for derision almost immediately.

So, I'm gonna say pass.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Mike Green is a shell of his former self, but there's no question that he's really talented. Very few D men in the league can bomb away from the point like he can.

That being said, I don't want him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Green strikes as the kind of player the Rangers used to acquire. Loads of talent. Comes to MSG, stinks up the joint and becomes a target for derision almost immediately.

So, I'm gonna say pass.

Sather will buy low on a guy who used to be great. The guy will benefit from the change of scenery and kill it for us down the stretch...

Then slump back into regression and mediocrity for the remainder of his tenure here.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Del Zotto had 41 points like 2 years ago. That's remotely close.

47 is almost 20 per cent more than 41! ;)

I think someone scored 45 too (Rozi?), that can be discussed though... ;)

Poti is the last D we had that scored more than 47, in 03'.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I honestly think the organization is torn between selling and buying.

I don't see why we can't do both. If we trade Cally and/or Girardi for roster players, we are essentially doing both. If we trade them for futures, then use some futures to acquire roster players, we are doing both.

The sharks did it last year. They sold Murray (2 2nds), Clowe (2nd, 3rd, cond 2nd/5th) and Handzus (4th) and replaced them with Torres (3rd) and Hannan (cond 7th).

Those 3 players were less important to their team than Cally/Girardi, but that just means we should get better roster players back rather than just futures.

BarbaraAlphanse

47 is almost 20 per cent more than 41! ;)

I think someone scored 45 too (Rozi?), that can be discussed though... ;)

Poti is the last D we had that scored more than 47, in 03'.

Poti and Rosival!!! :madfire:

BarbaraAlphanse

Both solid defensemen.

Both were average. Neither should have played on the top defensive pairing.

Don't remember if Poti ever did but Rosival did for several years. Too many defensive lapses for them to be top pairing defenders.

Only reason I don't have fond memories of them, their stupidity on the ice.

KreiMeARiver*

We could almost definitely get Heatley at the deadline from MN for not much. Last year of his contract...numbers are down but improving of late.

thoughts?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Both were average. Neither should have played on the top defensive pairing.

Don't remember if Poti ever did but Rosival did for several years. Too many defensive lapses for them to be top pairing defenders.

Only reason I don't have fond memories of them, their stupidity on the ice.
Obviously any team would be better if they had the personnel to have them on the second pairing and not the first. Poti went on to be a top pairing defenseman on two playoff teams once he left here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad