Proposal: Trade Thread Part 52

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I am so high on Caufield as our top prospect; however if we can trade him with Domi for Laine, I do that all day long.

He’d instantly be our best player and is a goalscoring talent we haven’t seen in what feels like a millenia

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Domi for Ehlers works. Habs might have to add.

Jets get their center. Habs get true a LW instead of Domi at LW.

It doesn’t fill a need for the Habs (LD or RW sniper), but it’s a tweak that makes them better. Gives them more consistency.

Ehlers - Suzuki - drouin
Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Lehks - PD - Armia

they could use picks and prospects to fill needs. Maybe go after Dunn and Pulju.

Reactions: 1000eeer

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Domi for Ehlers works. Habs will need to add.

It doesn’t fill a need for the Habs (LD or RW sniper), but it’s a tweak that makes them better. Gives them more consistency.

Ehlers - Suzuki - drouin
Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Lehks - PD - Armia

they could use picks and prospects to fill needs. Maybe go after Dunn and Pulju.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Caufield is a top 5 NHL prospect. He has elite skill and we don't have anything close to his level of talent in the prospect tool. He has the ability to be a Laine and I LOVE Laine and have always pined for him. Jets are looking for a center, not another scoring winger so it doesn't make sense in any case to trade him. Domi, a D prospect and a 1st, or something around that should be enough for a player who's not going to resign with them and will command a $9M+ contract next year.

70 point center's don't grow on trees so I think there's a tendency to undervalue our assets and over value others, which is why so many are surprised when we win trades on a regular basis.

I'm all for Laine and would pay a king's ransom for him but don't think Caufield is the deal breaker.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

5: Cole Caufield, Montreal Canadiens

Previous Rank: 5
Cole Caufield is an elite skater and a pure goal-scorer. He has a full arsenal of shots, all of which can result in the puck in the back of the net. The Canadiens have a future superstar in their system, even if he spends a couple of seasons developing before he gets to the NHL. He’s already considered a steal at 15th overall in the 2019 NHL Draft.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Ehlers - Suzuki - drouin
Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Lehks - PD - Armia

Hey man. Danault is a 1C in case you didn’t get the memo.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Caufield is a top 5 NHL prospect. He has elite skill and we don't have anything close to his level of talent in the prospect tool. He has the ability to be a Laine and I LOVE Laine and have always pined for him. Jets are looking for a center, not another scoring winger so it doesn't make sense in any case to trade him. Domi, a D prospect and a 1st, or something around that should be enough for a player who's not going to resign with them and will command a $9M+ contract next year.

70 point center's don't grow on trees so I think there's a tendency to undervalue our assets and over value others, which is why so many are surprised when we win trades on a regular basis.

I'm all for Laine and would pay a king's ransom for him but don't think Caufield is the deal breaker.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

5: Cole Caufield, Montreal Canadiens

Previous Rank: 5
Cole Caufield is an elite skater and a pure goal-scorer. He has a full arsenal of shots, all of which can result in the puck in the back of the net. The Canadiens have a future superstar in their system, even if he spends a couple of seasons developing before he gets to the NHL. He’s already considered a steal at 15th overall in the 2019 NHL Draft.
He’s definitely not an elite skater. He’s an elite sniper with high end still skills and excellent vision.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love Caufield's potential but I would not bat an eye if he has to be included in a Laine trade. Laine checks all the boxes. Only 22 years old, 6'5, already has 3 season of more than 30 goals including one of 44. No brainer.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If Laine or Ehlers are available in Winnipeg
Habs should be all over either one of them....both are skills, both can score some goals

Ehlers is one the best breakout player in the league, Speed and skill and unlike Laine.....he's got his salary fixed for the next 5 years. That has some value. Laine is obsviously the best goal scorer and he got that size the Habs desperately need but overall, I think Elhers' game is much more complete.

Either way, would be more than okay with both of them.

Domi, Danault, Tatar, Drouin, Caufield, Mete, Fleury, Peohling, Kulak, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round picks, 2021 1st round pick.......we got the tools to make this work at least for one of them,

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I believe his agent is Pat Brisson, and Brisson and MB are buddies. If Domi is changing agents , it is the last signal I need to believe Domi is going to be hard ass on a contract with us ( on top of you know, the social media deletes etc and rumours of issues with CJ ) and so is likely gone. If its Allan Walsh he is going with, bloody hell, then his trade value will likely take a dip lol..

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How good is the jets rumor? He credible?

Frank Seravalli mentioned it on TSN radio. He didn't say they are on the market, but he did mention they will likely make their way on the TSN Trade Bait Board. And Seravalli wouldn't say this if he didn't have some kind of info regarding their availablity.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I believe his agent is Pat Brisson, and Brisson and MB are buddies. If Domi is changing agents , it is the last signal I need to believe Domi is going to be hard ass on a contract with us ( on top of you know, the social media deletes etc and rumours of issues with CJ ) and so is likely gone. If its Allan Walsh he is going with, bloody hell, then his trade value will likely take a dip lol..

Yes, his agent is Brisson. And this would be the same thing Pacioretty did a few years ago. He also was represented by Brisson and he changed agents on Draft weekend and went with Walsh to help facilitate a trade.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes, his agent is Brisson. And this would be the same thing Pacioretty did a few years ago. He also was represented by Brisson and he changed agents on Draft weekend and went with Walsh to help facilitate a trade.

Yes. You are bang on. The positive is that Patches did an extension so we were able to max out his trade value. A contract for Domi will be harder , at least a long term one , because his last 2 years have been polar opposites,

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Ehlers - Suzuki - drouin
Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Lehks - PD - Armia

Ehlers, at 24, already amounts to career best Tatar on a consistent basis -- AND with remaining upside. However, your line of Ehlers - Suzuki - Drouin doesn't stack up at all, IMO -- much too soft! Ehlers is more suited to play on the off wing (RW) because he's a better goal scorer/sniper than Drouin who, for his part, is more of a playmaker.

Adding Ehlers makes Tatar expendable, replacing him with a much younger equivalent, IMO. However, that amounts to trading Domi (also much younger than Tatar) in order to be comfortable shopping Tatar around. How much we can get for Tatar will dictate just how good a move this is, especially if we need to add to dome to get Ehlers, something I'm not necessarily convinced about.

What would that add-on look like? A 2nd round pick? A later pick? A B prospect on D?

I honestly believe we need to get bigger and stay skilled on the RW.

For now, I'd go with the experiment we saw at the end of the PHI series with Drouin - Suzuki - Armia to see if they can develop any sort of consistency. I like the mix of defensive awareness between Suzuki and Armia, the offensive upside of a Drouin-Suzuki tandem and the size Armia brings to create more room for the other two.

That would leave Ehlers as a better sniper than Drouin with Kotkaniemi and, in the interim (before Caufield graduates with the NHL club) Gallagher.

Ideally, that 3rd line would resemble what you described as Lehkonen - Danault - Armia but, clearly, we need a replacement with size and skill for the top-6.

Ehlers - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Armia
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Poehling - Evans - Ylonen

We aren't out of the basin filled with diminutive players for the top-6 if the lineup ends up looking like:

Ehlers - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Armia
Poehling - Evans - Ylonen/Byron

I hate to say it but, Gallagher should perhaps be considered as a moveable asset that ought to be replaced with skilled beef to balance out the top-6 -- or he should be eventually shifted down to the third line, along with Danault.

Montreal needs to add size on LW and RW:

Ehlers - Kotkaniemi - Size & Skill RW
Size and skill LW - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Armia
Evans, Ylonen

Can that RW be an UFA? Can that LW be Samuel Poulin in a trade with Pittsburgh involving Poehling ++ once Domi has already been traded for Ehlers?

Ehlers - Kotkaniemi - UFA RW
Poulin - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia/Ylonen

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Without a doubt, go get Laine for Suzuki's RW. Domi + Caufield + 1st should get it done!

Tatar - Danault - Gally
Lehkonen - Suzuki - Laine
Drouin - KK - Armia

with Lehkonen forechecking and Suzuki creating space, it will open up Laine for an insane amount of goals.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Suzuki KK Caufield Horlinder Romanov Primeau

Thats our tough to let go crew

I wish they would ask for Danault Domi and shit loads of picks

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Waaaaayyyy too much!

Take out Caufield and Phoeling and add 2 2nds picks + Fluery and Mete
Jets need D badly!
That’s not how trades work in NHL man, not Xbox. When you are trading potential like prospects, picks and u proven talent, it isn’t worth nearly as much as a proven goal scorer. Would I like a Laine for Lehkonen and a 2nd? Yes. Reality? No.
Mete and Fleury to the rest of the league are fringe bottom pair dmen. Would you trade Suzuki for for a couple someone else’s bottom pair and 7th D? Cmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad