Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've seen a couple of people say the Penguins can't afford to trade POJ because it would hurt their D depth, why not just also target Schenn in a potential Boeser deal? Why not something like Kapanen, ZAR (for cap reasons), POJ and a 1st to Vancouver for Boeser and Schenn?

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Burke is just saying the same thing he said two weeks ago. It’s the right thing to say publicly when you don’t have many options.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've seen a couple of people say the Penguins can't afford to trade POJ because it would hurt their D depth, why not just also target Schenn in a potential Boeser deal? Why not something like Kapanen, ZAR (for cap reasons), POJ and a 1st to Vancouver for Boeser and Schenn?
Personally, it's because I think Schenn sucks. If we're getting Boeser, I'd like to not risk Schenn being the next Gudbranson or JJ that we landed because we're lacking size/physicality. But like I've been saying whenever he's brought up, a team in our cap/asset position doesn't have the luxury of trading for size/physicality with guys who are actually good, so, I guess it's a risk we're sort of pressed into taking. Still would be real wary about it, myself.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Personally, it's because I think Schenn sucks. If we're getting Boeser, I'd like to not risk Schenn being the next Gudbranson or JJ that we landed because we're lacking size/physicality. But like I've been saying whenever he's brought up, a team in our cap/asset position doesn't have the luxury of trading for size/physicality with guys who are actually good, so, I guess it's a risk we're sort of pressed into taking. Still would be real wary about it, myself.

Seemed to do fine on his way to two Stanley Cup championships in the exact role he'd play here.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think I would even take Sustr over Riikola...and we have him buried so, no. I don't think we need any defensive depth with Freidman, POJ, Riikola as your 7/8/9 batch. I mean, if we're tapping into our reserves that much, we have other issues.

On Rust, can anyone tell me who the last team to trade their #2 wing AND win a Cup was?

The goal is the Cup. Period. They are #2 in the division and just put a beating on Tampa and played Carolina exceptionally well. They are in the mix, I don't give a good god damn f*** what their age is, who is a UFA, and what our pick total in the coming draft is, nor do I care about the current strength of our prospect pool.

Reactions: RSPens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This f***ing roster is so bad hahaha

Care to elaborate under the assumption that Rust prices himself off the team?

Is Zucker THAT much worse than Kapanen?

Is Boeser THAT much worse than Rust?

There's room for a signing for the bottom 6 so things could change if you didn't to use WBS guys but considering the 4th line could be: DOC-Bleuger-Big Z, I don't see how that is THAT much worse than ZAR-Bleuger-McGinn or ZAR-Boyle-Simon...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think I would even take Sustr over Riikola...and we have him buried so, no. I don't think we need any defensive depth with Freidman, POJ, Riikola as your 7/8/9 batch. I mean, if we're tapping into our reserves that much, we have other issues.

On Rust, can anyone tell me who the last team to trade their #2 wing AND win a Cup was?

The goal is the Cup. Period. They are #2 in the division and just put a beating on Tampa and played Carolina exceptionally well. They are in the mix, I don't give a good god damn f*** what their age is, who is a UFA, and what our pick total in the coming draft is, nor do I care about the current strength of our prospect pool.

#3 now…Rangers tied them in points and have a game in hand…

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
“fancy ourselves as contenders” is the problem with your argument…if you do that, and you see that we’re near the bottom in shooting % and all the problems we’ve had this year finishing, you can’t just go into the POs and pray that Zucker somehow gets his shit together…you go out and get a sniper…it’s pretty obvious what this team needs to contend….if you’re sitting on your hands, by definition you can’t consider this team a contender
I myself DON'T consider us a serious contender. Absolutely will not part with future assets, well unless it's someone like Poulin who I don't regard very highly at all any more.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

What was wrong with Gudbranson? Or was it just the cool thing to do to jump on a player who wasn't supposed to do well here ( Hilarious thread when he was signed BTW)

Guds played well here and he's been playing fine since he left here. Would be nice to still have him

Reactions: Still Apps

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

And for suck reasons.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from another poster…this jives with what I’ve heard recently too—that Marino is someone the FO would move in the right deal…

“My friend in Vancouver today asked me if I had heard any rumors of John Marino to Vancouver. Apparently, the Vancouver Athletic reporter Thomas Drance did a piece on RHD defense targets for the Canucks, and Marino was one he listed.

Drance referred back to something Yohe and Rossi published in the offseason...that Hextall and Burke are not as big of fans of Marino as Rutherford was. They also said that multiple league and team sources say the Penguins would move Marino for the right price. The final piece was, there was some concern that Marino's family was too involved in his career, and that it may wear on Hextall and Burke.”

Marino + draft pick for JT Miller and Schenn…hell, I have no idea but I’m not enamored of moving Ruh up into the top 4 lol

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m still dumbfounded by how many people there are out there, on this forum/Pens fans and elsewhere around the league, who assume the Penguins either can’t or won’t re-sign Rust.

Rust is CRITICAL to this team. Heinen, Kapanen and Rodrigues are not. So there’s nothing to say we need to retain UFA E-Rod or pay a big RFA contract (with or without arbitration) to Heinen or Kapanen. We could walk away from all 3 of those guys if we wanted.

And as far as Zucker goes, we could trade him to any one of the bottom feeders who have tons of cap space and may need help reaching the floor (ARI, BUF, SEA, etc.).

And we’ll have even more room beyond that if we trade one of our LD to make room for POJ for ~ $850K.

In short, none of those 4 guys will end up getting in the way of us re-signing Rust at the end of the day. We’ll pay him $6 or 6.5 M on a 6/7 year deal (or maybe even a bit less if we go 8 years) and be done with it.

Reactions: tom_servo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is from another poster…this jives with what I’ve heard recently too—that Marino is someone the FO would move in the right deal…

“My friend in Vancouver today asked me if I had heard any rumors of John Marino to Vancouver. Apparently, the Vancouver Athletic reporter Thomas Drance did a piece on RHD defense targets for the Canucks, and Marino was one he listed.

Drance referred back to something Yohe and Rossi published in the offseason...that Hextall and Burke are not as big of fans of Marino as Rutherford was. They also said that multiple league and team sources say the Penguins would move Marino for the right price. The final piece was, there was some concern that Marino's family was too involved in his career, and that it may wear on Hextall and Burke.”

Marino + draft pick for JT Miller and Schenn…hell, I have no idea but I’m not enamored of moving Ruh up into the top 4 lol

It doesn’t work cap wise, but I honestly think this team would be fine without Marino.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
What was wrong with Gudbranson? Or was it just the cool thing to do to jump on a player who wasn't supposed to do well here ( Hilarious thread when he was signed BTW)

Guds played well here and he's been playing fine since he left here. Would be nice to still have him

When we got Gudbranson he was supposed to be, on a scale of 1 to 10, about a -25.

He turned out to be maybe a 2 or 3, much better than expected, but some people made him out to be worth way more than he actually was. Would Guds be more useful here as a #6 d-man than Codi Ceci or Chad Ruhwedel? Yes, but he costs more too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
When we got Gudbranson he was supposed to be, on a scale of 1 to 10, about a -25.

He turned out to be maybe a 2 or 3, much better than expected, but some people made him out to be worth way more than he actually was. Would Guds be more useful here as a #6 d-man than Codi Ceci or Chad Ruhwedel? Yes, but he costs more too.

He’s playing 18 minutes a night on one of the best teams in the league. I would easily take him at his contract over Ruh.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I completely forgot Ceci was was on this team for a year until this exact moment.

Probably the best compliment to Ceci’s play in his whole career.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

No it was the typical overreaction response that many have look at the thread. I thought he would have fit well and he did just like Ceci did.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I’m still dumbfounded by how many people there are out there, on this forum/Pens fans and elsewhere around the league, who assume the Penguins either can’t or won’t re-sign Rust.

Rust is CRITICAL to this team. Heinen, Kapanen and Rodrigues are not. So there’s nothing to say we need to retain UFA E-Rod or pay a big RFA contract (with or without arbitration) to Heinen or Kapanen. We could walk away from all 3 of those guys if we wanted.

And as far as Zucker goes, we could trade him to any one of the bottom feeders who have tons of cap space and may need help reaching the floor (ARI, BUF, SEA, etc.).

And we’ll have even more room beyond that if we trade one of our LD to make room for POJ for ~ $850K.

In short, none of those 4 guys will end up getting in the way of us re-signing Rust at the end of the day. We’ll pay him $6 or 6.5 M on a 6/7 year deal (or maybe even a bit less if we go 8 years) and be done with it.
Sorry but that deal's f***ing insane. :laugh: Dude hasn't done anything significant in the post season since 2017, and even then it was clutch scoring instead of quantity. His RS numbers have brain-poisoned people into thinking Rust is some irreplaceable stud, I'm just not buying it. I'm not saying dump him for peanuts, but the dude should be allowed to walk instead of signing that sorta deal to stick around here. With that in mind, shop him and see what you can get. If there's a deal that makes sense now and moving forward, do it--like a significant addition to help Geno's line. If we can move Kap in a separate trade to reshape the middle-6, that should be a priority as well, but definitely work the phones and gauge interest on Rust. If he walks and we lose him for nothing, so be it, but in no way should we throw that kinda term and cap hit at the guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad