Speculation: Trade Talk V - Livin' for the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I know this isn't necessarily trade talk, but with Nill saying he'd be shopping the FA market for a 2C (and I mean, really, who didn't see that coming), I thought I'd do a bit of a power ranking of some of the hopefully available candidates for the job.

1- Paul Stastny- this guy is probably going to be on top of every team's wish list. Fast, skilled, and with a bit of grit, he's a perfect example of what a 2nd center should be. Would fit in nicely on a line with Nuke or Toaster. He's going to require massive overpayment, but the added benefit of getting a lot of attention away from the Bennguin line could be worth it.

2- Mike Cammalleri- My personal favorite for the job. He's small, steady, has a lethal shot, and is money on the PP which is another need of ours. The only issue is that he's a tiny guy, but that hasn't stopped him from producing at a solid clip. He's on an absolute tear for Lolgary right now. Also, he always seems to score against us, so addition by subtraction in a way I guess

3-Mikhail Grabovski- It's impressive how Grabo has rebounded from his time in Toronto. I like him as a player, but I have 2 concerns- one is that he's going to want a hefty bump from what he's making this year, and two, he's not exactly the best guy to have in the room.

4- Brad Richards- This would make the fanbase very, very happy. Gaglardi and Nill could set right the wrong made by Hicks and bring back fan favorite Braddy. He's lost a step since 11, but still would be a better than most of the alternatives on the market. Also would be great to reunite him and Goose on the PP.

There's others too, like Legwand, Jokinen, and others I'm forgetting, but those are the best off of the top of my head.

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
The defense has major issues but it is far from being the sole issue. This team has no depth scoring that can be relied upon. That being said, I'm really not interested in giving up the pieces necessary to get Skinner or Staal. FWIW, I highly doubt E. Staal gets traded so soon after acquiring his brother; that forward corps is built around those two. It also appears that Staal has a NTC.

As much as we need help on defense we equally need quality depth scoring. I like Eakin, but I'm starting to think we would be much better off if his offense was a bonus for the team rather than expected and relied upon. As things stand now, I feel like we have one 1st line and three 3rd lines.
I agree staal will not be traded, and that I don't want to give up the necessary pieces to aquire him and skinner. But this team has eight forwards in double digit goal scoring. We have some depth. That depth is a little streaky. Going forward, next year, it's going to be better with toaster, nuke, Eakin, hopefully each getting a bump in production. And other guys to follow.
I think it's absolutely the key to this team playing better and more consistently for us to improve on the blue line.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Depth scoring will improve with a proper defense.

I really don't think it's that simple. If we had a Zubov level defenseman then maybe, but improving the defense corps to the extent that it can be improved in a single offseason is not going to significantly increase depth scoring.

I know this isn't necessarily trade talk, but with Nill saying he'd be shopping the FA market for a 2C (and I mean, really, who didn't see that coming), I thought I'd do a bit of a power ranking of some of the hopefully available candidates for the job.

1- Paul Stastny- this guy is probably going to be on top of every team's wish list. Fast, skilled, and with a bit of grit, he's a perfect example of what a 2nd center should be. Would fit in nicely on a line with Nuke or Toaster. He's going to require massive overpayment, but the added benefit of getting a lot of attention away from the Bennguin line could be worth it.

2- Mike Cammalleri- My personal favorite for the job. He's small, steady, has a lethal shot, and is money on the PP which is another need of ours. The only issue is that he's a tiny guy, but that hasn't stopped him from producing at a solid clip. He's on an absolute tear for Lolgary right now. Also, he always seems to score against us, so addition by subtraction in a way I guess

3-Mikhail Grabovski- It's impressive how Grabo has rebounded from his time in Toronto. I like him as a player, but I have 2 concerns- one is that he's going to want a hefty bump from what he's making this year, and two, he's not exactly the best guy to have in the room.

4- Brad Richards- This would make the fanbase very, very happy. Gaglardi and Nill could set right the wrong made by Hicks and bring back fan favorite Braddy. He's lost a step since 11, but still would be a better than most of the alternatives on the market. Also would be great to reunite him and Goose on the PP.

There's others too, like Legwand, Jokinen, and others I'm forgetting, but those are the best off of the top of my head.

Cammalleri is incorrectly listed as a center. He would be a nice player to have and would definitely upgrade the scoring depth though.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
of the available ufa centers only Statsny and Grabovski really interest me. I suspect these guys are going to get big long term deals. Honestly I hope they go all in on Statsny.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
of the available ufa centers only Statsny and Grabovski really interest me. I suspect these guys are going to get big long term deals. Honestly I hope they go all in on Statsny.

An 8 year deal for Statsny would only put him at like 33-35 years old. It's worth it, in my opinion.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Cole-Statsny-Chiasson
J.Jokinen-Eakin-Sceivour

How about that top 9?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
An 8 year deal for Statsny would only put him at like 33-35 years old. It's worth it, in my opinion.

Only re-signed players by their current team can give 8 so in this case Colorado. Unless someone trades for his rights, everyone else would only be able to offer 7 years.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Cole-Statsny-Chiasson
J.Jokinen-Eakin-Sceivour

How about that top 9?

Not sure Jokinen is the guy I'd want, but that sure does look appealing. I'm coming around to Stasny more and more, but it's just so unlikely we'd get him. We'd pretty well have to make the playoffs for that to happen I think.

Bkennedy*

Not sure Jokinen is the guy I'd want, but that sure does look appealing. I'm coming around to Stasny more and more, but it's just so unlikely we'd get him. We'd pretty well have to make the playoffs for that to happen I think.

Which is basically a coin flip at this point.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
In a vacuum, I like Jokinen and the skills he brings. I'm not sure he's quick enough of a skater to be a good fit for the cost it will take.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I don't think it would be too hard to convince Stastny to come to Dallas. We have a duo that ranks top 3 in the NHL (Benn and Seguin), and Stastny would be guaranteed the second line center spot along side a player that has superstar potential in Nichushkin. And those two can make a name for themselves as another dangerous duo in the NHL.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think it would be too hard to convince Stastny to come to Dallas. We have a duo that ranks top 3 in the NHL (Benn and Seguin), and Stastny would be guaranteed the second line center spot along side a player that has superstar potential in Nichushkin. And those two can make a name for themselves as another dangerous duo in the NHL.

I hear that. I also think Dallas has a good reputation around the league and the no state tax doesn't hurt either.

I guess where I'm worried is that what makes Dallas a better fit that Colorado? What if St Louis offered him the same money? Or New York if they buy out Richards? Or Anaheim, with Getzlaf and Perry being closer to his age than Seguin and Val? It's definitely possible, it just seems like it would take some luck. Obviously these are hypothetical and I have no idea what teams are interested or what he wants, I just have a hard time thinking Dallas is at the top of his list, at least right now.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
I get the feeling that Nill is quite the salesman. I think it'll help a lot if we get into the playoffs this season, FAs will feel like we are close to being a serious contender.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I get the feeling that Nill is quite the salesman. I think it'll help a lot if we get into the playoffs this season, FAs will feel like we are close to being a serious contender.

I think you're right. I mean, I find myself buying into what he says even after the last five seasons. Definitely agree that playoffs will be huge optically for potential FAs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Stastny would be guaranteed the second line center spot along side a player that has superstar potential in Nichushkin. And those two can make a name for themselves as another dangerous duo in the NHL.

That's what most of us want to see, but it's far from a guarantee. He could just as easily end up with Cole and Sceviour or Chiasson.

If anyone can sell a free agent on Dallas' direction and future it's Jim Nill so I'm not concerned about Dallas being considered. The problem is nearly every team in the league could use another center, and probably 2/3rds could offer fair value. His options will be huge, and a half dozen teams could seem like great places to sign.

I still think his contract will easily get out of hand, and the team that lands him will likely have a significant chance of regretting the move. I accept that Dallas probably wants him, and I hope that if he lands here it all goes well. That doesn't mean I'm overly excited about a 2nd line center being Dallas' highest paid player, and a guy that might easily be the 4th best forward on the team by the time next season rolls around.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Chicago gets love for immediate success, but Detroit takes the cake for success with good not great goaltending more often than not.

I'd have no issue with Dallas following that path eventually, but both teams have/had fantastic defenses to compensate for not having world class netminding.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Cole-Statsny-Chiasson
J.Jokinen-Eakin-Sceivour

How about that top 9?

Could Ritchie move up next year? I always want to rush the AHL guys for some reason...

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Cole - Stastny - Chiasson
Ritchie - Eakin - Sceviour
Roussel - Horcoff - Garbutt

Dillon - Fayne?
Goligoski - Nemeth?
Connauton - Daley
Benn

Trade Gonchar, Rome, and maybe Daley?

In: Stastny, Fayne, Ritchie, Nemeth
Out: Gonchar, Rome, Whitney, Fiddler

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Cammalleri is incorrectly listed as a center. He would be a nice player to have and would definitely upgrade the scoring depth though.

I could've sworn he played C at times for both Calgary and the Habs, but I'm probably wrong. Or was it like a Benn thing where he was forced into an unnatural position?

Anyway, yeah the optimum situation for me would be to sign both Stastny and Cammy, but that'd obviously cost way too much green. One or both could give us a really good 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad