Speculation: Trade Talk V - Livin' for the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Last night maybe I was correct. This feels like the making of a great deadline with or without the Stars:

One NHL assistant general manager couldn’t quite articulate why he believed this was going to be an especially active trade deadline. He didn’t have any concrete examples, nor was his team particularly close to making a deal. There was just something different going on out there in discussions with his colleagues.

“Really, there are four teams, five teams legitimately out of it. You can only pick through them so much,” he said. “I can’t quantify it, but I think there will be more 'hockey deals.' The UFA market is thin, you want to get somebody with term that makes sense.”

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
An interesting story out of Toronto.

Despite having a much better hold on a playoff spot, Toronto is essentially talking about what Dallas may do. They are looking to dump UFAs and add through hockey trades. Bolland, Reimer, Kulemin, and Raymond could all easily be traded at the deadline according to this article. This is going to be the interesting thing to see leading up to deadline day. How many playoff teams will sell and add? Will Dallas attempt to do the same thing?

If Robidas is only worth a 3rd at best, can't see him being moved. If 10 teams are really interested and you consider the right shot factor and the limited number of those available right now, you might get a pretty damn nice return. If a team like NY and Toronto are going to sell, wouldn't Dallas strongly consider as well?

I honestly don't have a strong opinion about what Nill should do. My only strong feeling is what I expect at the end of the season. If we sell and miss the playoffs, I'm disappointed. If we don't sell and miss the playoffs, I'm pissed. At the beginning of the year, there was no way I felt playoffs or bust. Right now though ... it does feel that way. I'm not going to get my rocks off on Dallas' returns here. Even with Robidas' potential, we aren't going to likely get any blue chip pieces or current NHLers back selling this weaker UFAs we have this season versus last season.

I know it will be extremely difficult to make the Top 8, but I think it's fair to expect them to not roll over and die any longer. I'm going to pissed if they don't make the playoffs unless they go down fighting and winning. Someone else better be slightly hotter than them to pull out the win rather than sub.500 mediocre play down the stretch.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I think moving Robidas for a pick is fine. Gives Connauton a spot to move into which puts the team in a better position. Figure out a way to get rid of Goligoski or Daley for another physical Dman or center and you're on the right track. Hope and pray that if Cole or Whitney are traded that it's used for defense.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Is @Stars_Insider reliable? He tweeted a very vague Stars are in talks about acquiring a big name defenseman.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is @Stars_Insider reliable? He tweeted a very vague Stars are in talks about acquiring a big name defenseman.

I believe I've seen Stars people interact with him on Twitter like they might no him. I do know, unless this is a different handle trying to mimic him, he's not a rumor monger. He's more of a blogger like the DBD guys.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Probably someone who works for the Stars front office who cruised past Nill's office and heard "Hey Mike how are you"

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
An interesting story out of Toronto.
If Robidas is only worth a 3rd at best, can't see him being moved. If 10 teams are really interested

I read that tweet to mean 10 teams were interested last year. I need to dig that tweet up again.

LouisJean_TVA: Steph Robidas expected to return to #Stars by mid-March. Unlikely he gets dealt although last year, 10 teams called including #habs.

Yeah, I think the comma at the end was an accident.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He seems to have somewhat of a relationship with several Stars players like Ludwig, Turco, and Nystom. Nystrom refers to him by name (Tony) several times.

I know someone on here mentioned that Ludwig is a bit loose lipped about what he knows is going on in the organization. They mentioned talking to him at AHL at games in Austin.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's his source. Point is ... this isn't a guy trying to be a Hockey ********, or however he spells his stupid name, starter kit.

EDIT: OMG that is fantastic. Apparently I spelled it write, and it's equivalent to the F word on these here parts.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
He seems to have somewhat of a relationship with several Stars players like Ludwig, Turco, and Nystom. Nystrom refers to him by name (Tony) several times.

I know someone on here mentioned that Ludwig is a bit loose lipped about what he knows is going on in the organization. They mentioned talking to him at AHL at games in Austin.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's his source. Point is ... this isn't a guy trying to be a Hockey ********, or however he spells his stupid name, starter kit.

EDIT: OMG that is fantastic. Apparently I spelled it write, and it's equivalent to the F word on these here parts.

He lists his name on the starsinsider.com website so anonymity isn't an issue for him.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
None of the bloggers that follow Stars hockey are going to post anything like that unless they believe it to be true/have a strong enough source for it.

That said, it's still a week away. I would be pretty disappointed if we weren't at least exploring that option.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
That said, it's still a week away. I would be pretty disappointed if we weren't at least exploring that option.

4 Days, deadline is Monday afternoon isnt it. Any trade for defensemen means some one on D gets moved or we are going to have to make additional trades if we bring someone in. Could be an interesting few days.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
The more that I think about it, the more angry I would be if we address getting a #2 Center over getting a top pairing D man. We only have so many assets we can give up to fill needs and #2 center just isn't a dire concern.

If a trade for an actual "big name defenseman" is on the horizon, I wouldn't be shocked if our 1st rounder this year is included in the deal, along with any prospect not named Nichushkin, plus one of Daley or Goligoski (and maybe even plus more).

Primetimey*

That @Stars_Insider has some credible people following him.

Mark Stepneski, Darren Dreger, Aaron Ward, Official Dallas Stars, Mike Heika, Razor..

You have to be pretty legit to get those guys to follow you.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That @Stars_Insider has some credible people following him.

Mark Stepneski, Darren Dreger, Aaron Ward, Official Dallas Stars, Mike Heika, Razor..

You have to be pretty legit to get those guys to follow you.

Touche ... :laugh: ... I was trying to piece together his mentions to figure out if was just a guy being nice to respond to a fan or if it seemed like they new him.

What you did makes way more sense.

Primetimey*

Touche ... :laugh: ... I was trying to piece together his mentions to figure out if was just a guy being nice to respond to a fan or if it seemed like they new him.

What you did makes way more sense.

Those are the people I follow that follow him, there might be even more hockey guys I don't follow.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
My money's on Edler. Maybe Ehrhoff. Can't think of anyone else unless it's way out of left field

Primetimey*

If it is a hockey trade, (Seguin for Loui), don't expect it to be one of the names out in the media. Nill and his staff will make a selection of a guy they like and do what it takes to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad