Speculation: Trade Talk V - Livin' for the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ehh ... the dudes already a healthy scratch in Nashville. I hope not unless he's the 13th forward they carry most of the season.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Im really bad with trade proposals, but what would you guys think of:

To Dallas:
Ryan Kesler

To Van:
2014 1st rnd pick
Jason Dickinson
Curtis McKenzie

Is that too much? Too little? Is Kesler even a good target for this team?

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Ritchie - Kesler - Chiasson
Cole - Eakin - Sceviour
Roussel - Fiddler - Garbutt

EDIT: Im really high on Dickinson, so im not sure Id want to move him :dunno: and I cant say Im overly excited about Kesler's injury history

MetalGodAOD*

Im really bad with trade proposals, but what would you guys think of:

To Dallas:
Ryan Kesler

To Van:
2014 1st rnd pick
Jason Dickinson
Curtis McKenzie

Is that too much? Too little? Is Kesler even a good target for this team?

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Ritchie - Kesler - Chiasson
Cole - Eakin - Sceviour
Roussel - Fiddler - Garbutt

EDIT: Im really high on Dickinson, so im not sure Id want to move him :dunno:

It'd depend if Nill sees this team as in "win soon" mode, which I personally don't. Kesler only has 2 years left on his contract after this. That's a high price to pay for 2 years of service.

Also I'm not as convinced the #2C is the biggest priority of upgrade. I'd rather throw money at Statsny for no loss of assets.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It'd depend if Nill sees this team as in "win soon" mode, which I personally don't. Kesler only has 2 years left on his contract after this. That's a high price to pay for 2 years of service.

Also I'm not as convinced the #2C is the biggest priority of upgrade. I'd rather throw money at Statsny for no loss of assets.

That's a good point. Im just not sure Stasny would pick Dallas. I think I was just playing with the idea because Im watching the Van/Wpg game.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think there are cheaper options available and again if you're going to spend the 1st round pick plus another top 5 prospect a good solid defender needs to be coming back. Rather spend less to grab Edler then flip Daley to recoup some of the cost.

With Kesler's injury history and the exorbitant price Vancouver is going to demand this team isn't really in a position to pay that. Besides Kesler's style isn't anything like the current speed, speed, and more speed that we've got going on.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
That's a good point. Im just not sure Stasny would pick Dallas. I think I was just playing with the idea because Im watching the Van/Wpg game.

I think if we make the playoffs with our young core, it'll be enticing for free agents, IMO. Like Hossa to the Blackhawks.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For ESPN Insiders, Custance just made a list of Top 25 free agents. Not much on their from a Dallas POV.

There are three right shot D in Boyle, Niskanen, and Markov. I'm definitely thinking Nill and Ruff are both serious about the right shot thing. The Blues game kind of sealed the deal for me.

The only reason you break up the Roussel-Fiddler-Garbutt line is because you want a right shot on every line. With all that had happened, with two new faces, that was really the only thing that made sense to me. Otherwise, you'd try and keep as much normal as possible.

Benn-Seguin(R)-Nichushkin
Cole-Eakin-Sceviour(R)
Roussel-Fiddler-Mueller(R)
Whitney(R)-Horcoff-Garbutt

Also kind of makes me wonder if Sceviour maybe goes to the Fiddler line rather than the 4th line next game.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
It seems that Vatanen has had enough with the Anaheim organization and is likely bolting to KHL in the offseason. I don't what it would take to acquire him (maybe offer sheet him since he is RFA this summer), but would be nice addition to the blueline. Right-handed, can QB the powerplay...

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He might not sign an offer sheet fearing that Anaheim would match it and keep him. What is the worth of a disgruntled player that is going to the KHL? A 2nd? Haven't watched him play in the NHL but he seems like the kind of guy everyone gets excited about but may never quite make it due to his size.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Fill me in here if I'm missing something, but I don't really see the infatuation with Fayne. He's in the Tim Gleason category to me. As in why the heck does he always get brought up in here?

Now Vatanen on the other hand...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Link? I haven't been paying attention so I'd like to read what's going on.

Dallas, if you think guys like Heika and Sturm are correct, may have Klingberg already penciled into the NHL next year. Now, if you could get Vatanen at a reasonable cost, I think it might be ideal for John to spend a full season in the AHL. Just don't know how Dallas would view it. Seems though, Vatanen a guy with AHL experience would be more desirable immediately than Klingberg. A year of AHL work would Klingberg up and running and hopefully a smoother transition to the NHL.

It's not likely going to happen, but I really would be OK with turning over 3 D.

Add in Fayne, Nemeth, Klingberg/Vatanen

Take out Daley, Gonchar, and Goligoski

Seems like a better option to go with younger, cheaper high risk, high reward D IMO.

Dillon-Klingberg/Vatanen
Connauton-Fayne
Benn-Nemeth

Nemeth played RD mostly in Sweden, and he's played some in the AHL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Fill me in here if I'm missing something, but I don't really see the infatuation with Fayne. He's in the Tim Gleason category to me. As in why the heck does he always get brought up in here?

Seems like a pretty big stretch. Fayne plays on the top pair of one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. He's very effective at limiting shots and playing a solid game in his own zone. Gleason is not ...

I look at a guy like Paul Martin that's been just as successful if not for injuries as he was in NJ, and I think Fayne is a guy that can keep his level of play up even on a different team. But yeah, Fayne and Greene play the toughest minutes for NJ.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Link? I haven't been paying attention so I'd like to read what's going on.

It was on a lot of Finnish media today, I have to see if I can find something in english. But meanwhile here is the article translated.
FinHockey Link

Metallurg Novokuznetsk wants to add Anaheim Ducks' D Sami Vatanen to their team.

Metallurg holds Vatanen's Kontinental Hockey League player rights and if Vatanen doesn't get to play in the NHL, you might see the Finnish olympian in the KHL. The sporting director of Novokuznetsk, Valery Zelepukin, confirms.

- We are negotiating with hockey players that interest us. For example, the Anaheim defenseman Sami Vatanen. This Finn's KHL rights are in Metallurg, Zelepukin says on his club's website.

- But as you know, a lot of players want to try first in the NHL. And after that they will come to the KHL. If Vatanen doesn't get to play in the NHL, he has basically agreed to come to Novokuznetsk .

Vatanen was in the middle of a lot of trade rumors in the NHL before the March trade deadline. Vatanen's role in the Anaheim Ducks has been inconvenient. In Sochi, amazing playing efforts shown and Olympic bronze medalist Vatanen, has not recently been fitting to the Ducks' lineup.

Vatanen has not been recalled to the NHL, contrary to yesterday's news. According to the Orange County Register's Eric Stephans, Vatanen was practising with the Ducks to evaluate his injury condition.

Vatanen has been suffering from a lower-body injury and has not been able to play in the AHL since the first day of March.

Edit: As I was writing this OC register reported that Vatanen has now been recalled, due to Fowler's MRI

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

he has good size, decent mobility, is solid defensively, is a right shot, and will likely be available for just the price of a contract. I don't think anyone is in love with the guy, but he'd be a nice addition.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Seems like a pretty big stretch. Fayne plays on the top pair of one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. He's very effective at limiting shots and playing a solid game in his own zone. Gleason is not ...

I look at a guy like Paul Martin that's been just as successful if not for injuries as he was in NJ, and I think Fayne is a guy that can keep his level of play up even on a different team. But yeah, Fayne and Greene play the toughest minutes for NJ.

I wasn't comparing them as players, just saying that they both seem to get overrated and over mentioned.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wasn't comparing them as players, just saying that they both seem to get overrated and over mentioned.

Is Fayne over mentioned ... not really ... considering Nill and Ruff have both mentioned a desire for right shots on D, it's not a stretch to see Fayne as a reasonable target. Considering of the right shots available he fits their needs best, and he's going to get a reasonable contract in free agency unlike a guy like Niskanen who get cash in with a fairly significant contract.

I don't see anyone really overrating him. He's a Top 4 D. That's all, and that's what Dallas needs.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Dreger said that Carolina could be in for a major shakeup, and Eric Staal or Skinner could be dealt. I would really like to get my hands on Eric Staal. Skinner would also work if we could sign Stastny.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Wow; Skinner would be nice, and his contract is about the same as Seguin's in both length and $ (girth lol). Staal is getting paid, but we'd probably have to throw the same ~8 mil at Stastny if he makes it to free agency.

What kind of offer would it take to get Staal/Skinner? Obviously it would be a pretty substantial package to land either one, and I'm sure we would balk at the price. Staal would make Eakin expendable, but I wouldn't include him in a trade for Skinner unless we had another player locked in for the 2C. Clearly we need some secondary scoring.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, pretty obvious really, that defence should be this team's primary objective in the offseason. Here's hoping GM Nill finally fixes this team's biggest achilles heel.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The defense has major issues but it is far from being the sole issue. This team has no depth scoring that can be relied upon. That being said, I'm really not interested in giving up the pieces necessary to get Skinner or Staal. FWIW, I highly doubt E. Staal gets traded so soon after acquiring his brother; that forward corps is built around those two. It also appears that Staal has a NTC.

As much as we need help on defense we equally need quality depth scoring. I like Eakin, but I'm starting to think we would be much better off if his offense was a bonus for the team rather than expected and relied upon. As things stand now, I feel like we have one 1st line and three 3rd lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad