Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like the 'screw the home run deal, go for Seto, Kule, McGinn' approach.

It's not sexy, but this lineup . . .

Kunitz-Sid-Beau/Seto
Kule/McGinn-Geno-Neal
McGinn/Kule-Sutter-Seto/Beau

. . . is a better top nine than the configuration Bylsma had out there against Boston.

It really depends on the assets required. Other than McGinn, we could be spending assets for more rentals that we don't re-sign. We don't have a 2nd round pick, which hurts, and I wouldn't give up a 1st for any of those guys. So show me a few sample trades there.

IF we are trading any significant assets (Despres, Dumo, 1st, Bennett, etc) it better be for a top 6 winger that's signed beyond this season.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The thing is Seto probably would only be like a 1st at the deadline. Even if he sucks then I'd feel better heading into the playoffs with him as an option over not having him and only the WBS guys. I think we can all agree Seto's short term upside is much higher than the 3 you listed other than maybe Bennett.

I'd be pretty pissed if Shero moved a 1st for Seto when he was traded for a 2nd in the summer and could have been gotten for Nisky.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Or traded J Morrow for B Morrow at some point in your career

Exactly... Assets at the deadline are expensive. And if you guys honestly think J Morrow for B Morrow is better than a 1st for Seto, then you're either "drunk, crazy, or stupid". The fact remains that we need to acquire a winger to replace duper for this playoff push. I'd rather trade an undeveloped prospect a la a 1st rd pick, 10/10 over a developed asset like Morrow or Despres. Plus Seto was pretty solid back in his hayday with Big Joe. I'm convinced that he is still capable of some of that. I think you guys read a little too far into my post though. I meant that Seto should be no more than a 1st at the deadline. Also I'm not some huge advocate for Seto or anything like that, I just like the idea of getting a solid winger for a 1st.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No way I'd want Devin Setoguchi for a first round pick. Just try Jayson Megna, Beau Bennett and Brian Gibbons the rest of the way, if we're going to do something stupid like that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Exactly... Assets at the deadline are expensive. And if you guys honestly think J Morrow for B Morrow is better than a 1st for Seto, then you're either "drunk, crazy, or stupid". The fact remains that we need to acquire a winger to replace duper for this playoff push. I'd rather trade an undeveloped prospect a la a 1st rd pick, 10/10 over a developed asset like Morrow or Despres. Plus Seto was pretty solid back in his hayday with Big Joe. I'm convinced that he is still capable of some of that. I think you guys read a little too far into my post though. I meant that Seto should be no more than a 1st at the deadline. Also I'm not some huge advocate for Seto or anything like that, I just like the idea of getting a solid winger for a 1st.

Gotcha. Sorry if I read too much into it. I get that assets are expensive, but I do not want to spend a 1st rounder (and we don't have a 2nd rounder) on Setoguchi. That's a really bad deal for the Pens. Also, yes to what Jags said.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No way I'd want Devin Setoguchi for a first round pick. Just try Jayson Megna, Beau Bennett and Brian Gibbons the rest of the way, if we're going to do something stupid like that.

Agreed. And with the shortage of young forward prospects in our system we can't start dealing for players that are 3rd liners on weaker teams and think they're the answer to our problem

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I dunno. I have only seen Seto a handful of times in the last 2 seasons, but I came away unimpressed each time. He is decent, but he's not all that.

I would overpay like mad to get an Evander Kane. He is a dream winger for Sid. Orpik+Despres+pick. If the cost was Bennett + pick, I think I'd swallow hard and do it. I *really* want to see Bennett blossom into the player most of us think he can be, and do it here. But E. Kane, he would just be a monster on a line with Crosby and would help on playoffs so much.

RH710

Feb 25, 2013
Dubnyk just went to nashville for Hendricks. Rumors are they aren't done and Gagner is getting moved....

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Dubnyk just went to nashville for Hendricks. Rumors are they aren't done and Gagner is getting moved....

Oilers over paid for Gagner. If he was still RFA i would have maybe been interested. IM sure he sould have signable for at least 1 mil less

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I see plenty of him out west, and I don't get the love for McGinn. Think he would make the second line look exactly like it did last playoffs when we saw TK-Geno-Neal get shut down against the Bs.

Would much rather have Kulemin for sure.

Also, how do people feel about going for a big time winger like Vanek? That'd be a ballsy move for Shero:

Vanek-Crosby-BB
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna

Doesn't look too bad.

RH710

Feb 25, 2013
I see plenty of him out west, and I don't get the love for McGinn. Think he would make the second line look exactly like it did last playoffs when we saw TK-Geno-Neal get shut down against the Bs.

Also, how do people feel about going for a big time winger like Vanek? That'd be a ballsy move for Shero:

Vanek-Crosby-BB
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna

Doesn't look too bad.

I don't see us going for high caliber rentals this year.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Vanek-Crosby-BB
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna

Doesn't look too bad.

Another expensive rental. I'd pass.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I would overpay like mad to get an Evander Kane. He is a dream winger for Sid. Orpik+Despres+pick. If the cost was Bennett + pick, I think I'd swallow hard and do it. I *really* want to see Bennett blossom into the player most of us think he can be, and do it here. But E. Kane, he would just be a monster on a line with Crosby and would help on playoffs so much.

I agree that E. Kane represents the optimal target for the Pens. Particularly so since he accumulates the vast majority of his goals/points at even strength. It's important to look at whoever we target in terms of EV production since there are no openings in the foreseeable future for fwds on the top PP unit. The asking price will likely be (way) too high though.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
By no means am I saying I want to move Beau Benett, I do not want him to be traded and I highly doubt he will be. But if WPG offered Wheeler and Setoguchi for Despres, Beau and maybe a 1st, I consider that

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
By no means am I saying I want to move Beau Benett, I do not want him to be traded and I highly doubt he will be. But if WPG offered Wheeler and Setoguchi for Despres, Beau and maybe a 1st, I consider that

With what Cap space? Wheeler makes 5.6, Seto 3.0.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Right now Seto's a more polished D'Agostini. I have no idea why that guy's name keeps popping up.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'd be running through the wall with joy about getting E. Kane... But the asking price would be to high. If we are going for a Jet, I think Wheeler is the more likely option. Although... I wish Buff didn't have that contract... Get him and put at forward like Chicago did. But no way we could take that contract on and no way WPG would retain salary.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
We have room this year for someone worth as much as Dupuis without making any moves. Next year, if Orpik and Niskanen go and Despres and/or an entry level contract are in the lineup, we will have plenty of money to play around with. Vokoun, Jokinen and hopefully Glass will be off the books, as well as losing Orpik. We could go for a home run if we wanted, 6 million would be trivial to fit into the team even if Sutter got 3 mil and Despres 2.5.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Exactly. I was a fan of acquiring him a few years ago but he's had far too much mediocrity the past few seasons. Let's move on.

Although there might be hope for him, he put up some pretty good numbers playing with Thorton and Marleau in SJ. Maybe all he needs is another world class centre to play with.

I doubt it though. Just stating the other side of the coin.

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
A first for Seto? Put down the booze and walk away... There is no chance in hell he's worth a first. He's streaky as hell.

As far as J. Morrow, he was not a finished/developed prospect. He's been already been shipped out of Dallas and can't seem to find a spot in Boston.

I would still take a flier on Seto, but I'd rather have McGinn. But I have a feeling after lighting it up lately he won't be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad