Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Will we ever get another dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How many times do we have to learn the lesson that defensemen take a long time to develop? They don't all have Colton Parayko path of development. Let me remind you that many people were writing off Hedman as a bust and a guy who would top out as a #3/#4. And same for Larsson.

Reinhart is a different player than those guys, no doubt. But I don't see why he can't develop into a Regehr.

Are you asking the fans or the team that's playing Nurse 25 minutes a night when he clearly isn't ready for it?

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Again, I'm not saying that they keep Barzal for the long haul, just that they should have drafted him and waited it out until a more proven Dman shook loose. I'm sure that there would have been a cap strapped team somewhere that would have taken a top prospect to replenish their prospect pool for a Dman that they couldn't afford to pay? Would his value have diminished that much from the draft until a couple of months later?

Jeez, a solid not elite prospect is the best they could have gotten for a mid 1st rounder and high 2nd rounder? Hell, the Isles got two top 4 Dmen last offseason for less than that.

I think Reinhart is a fine player, although I don't see the upside that some of you guys see in him, but a LH prospect D is probably the last thing they needed. Is Reinhart ever going to be higher than 3rd pairing on the depth chart?
He'll have to surpass Klefbom and Nurse in order for that to happen. Even Davidson is higher on the depth chart now.

I just see it as a wasted opportunity to improve the team now is all I'm trying to say.

The Oilers needed help THIS season. Chia even said that he expected Reinhart to be a fixture on the team THIS season. In that respect, the trade was a failure.

Yeah, and if contracts weren't a problem he would be. No where did he say he would be a top 4 dman day 1. He might of said he COULD play in the top 4, just like we're seeing how nurse COULD play top 4. Speaking of nurse, who do u think is better rn? Because of contracts, only one could be on the team and nurse beat out Reinhart. No shame there.

Edit:
If you're arguing that a top 4 dman should have been bought with those picks, I agree and disagree. Obvs nothing better was available so he took gr. Chia is building a team to have an amazing window in 2-3 years for 10 years. He may have felt even more so that gr would be a mainstay during that window.

Chia wants cupS not just a better team

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That was directed at the fans who have given up on Griff. I'm really not sure what Chia and TMAC are thinking by playing Nurse as much as they are. It's foolish.

I don't think anyone has given up on GR, but he doesn't seem to be tracking well.

It just feels like watching the same movie with different actors in regards to Nurse.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Any other GM would have gotten Pulock instead of Reinhart for Barzal+Beauvillier. RHD prospect with #1 upside. Chia should have put more thoughts into it.

Yupp, Chiarelli got hosed on this deal.

Defensemen take time but if they're not in the NHL by now or more they're not likely to be a top-4 guy, it sucks but it's the truth.

Klefbom was a really good bottom-pairing/arguably borderline top-4 d man in his draft + 4 year. You'll be hard pressed to find any defensemen who isn't in the NHL by then, at least one who isn't a ridiculous comparable like Keith.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
2 months ago we were thinking our forward group is pretty much set aside from maybe a gritty 3rd line winger... how the times have changed.

Klink, Gazdic, Lander, Letestu, Korpi, Purcell and even a couple of Ebs\Yak\RNH can leave and we wouldnt be worse for it.

defense we have atleast 5 other anchors who we wouldnt mind getting rid of.

From a team that looked like a top 4 RD away to this gong show is heartbreaking.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think anyone has given up on GR, but he doesn't seem to be tracking well.

It just feels like watching the same movie with different actors in regards to Nurse.

Maybe Tmac/Nurse have been told to ride the storm here for a little bit while Chia gets something done. It sounds like he was at least involved in discussions around Jones. Maybe he feels something is close and it's not worth sending down Nurse?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
2 months ago we were thinking our forward group is pretty much set aside from maybe a gritty 3rd line winger... how the times have changed.

Klink, Gazdic, Lander, Letestu, Korpi, Purcell and even a couple of Ebs\Yak\RNH can leave and we wouldnt be worse for it.

From a team that looked like a top 4 RD away to this gong show is heartbreaking.

Like pucks through Nilsson's pads... These are the Days of our Lives.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe Tmac/Nurse have been told to ride the storm here for a little bit while Chia gets something done. It sounds like he was at least involved in discussions around Jones. Maybe he feels something is close and it's not worth sending down Nurse?

I hope it's something like that. Absolutely idiotic to be playing him 25 minutes a night.

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
I don't get it. We choose to let a young dMan marinate in the minors for 7 months off and on and people are upset hes not Parayko? Whats wrong with having something be down there for a few years and be a 4,5,6 Dman? We knew he wasn't at the level of Nurse when we acquired him. Barzal was on display at the juniors and people lose their junk thinking we lost the trade. Guy has yet to play put together a healthy PPG season. but HF thinking revolves around what we can do over six months, and after a week of crap we all want to nuke this team. It's not like the team was on the cusp when it was handed to Chia and TMac.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Pretty sure Nurse isnt complaining... He is used to logging massive minutes and although struggling loving it. Pretty sure TMac isnt waiting on Chia... Klefbom returning would be help enough for Nurse.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

If Columbus wasn't interested in Jones, I have a very good feeling that Jones would be an Oiler when McDavid is back.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

To be fair, though, if you draw up our entire lineup when everyone is healthy, it really doesn't look that bad at all:

Hall - Draisaitl - Purcell
Kassian - McDavid - Yakupov
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Korpikoski - Letestu - Hendricks

Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Sekera
Davidson - Gryba

Obviously we all expected Schultz to improve this season because it seemed like he bulked up and worked hard in the off-season. That didn't happen. So, really, we're still just a top-4 RHD away from having a good lineup when everyone's healthy.

The problem is that injuries happen, and for whatever reason, they happen to the Oilers more than any other team. And the Oilers just don't have the prospect/youth depth to fill those voids when guys go down with injuries.

This has exposed one of our most glaring holes in our franchise - prospect depth. Something people really don't seem to be acknowledging.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yupp, Chiarelli got hosed on this deal.

Defensemen take time but if they're not in the NHL by now or more they're not likely to be a top-4 guy, it sucks but it's the truth.

Klefbom was a really good bottom-pairing/arguably borderline top-4 d man in his draft + 4 year. You'll be hard pressed to find any defensemen who isn't in the NHL by then, at least one who isn't a ridiculous comparable like Keith.

If we got Pulock instead Reinhart. I doubt we would hear RNH for Seth Jones/Shattenkirk. The only trade you hear about is Eberle for Hamonic in a 3-way trade.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I watched Reinhart in a few games early in the season in person. Unless he lightens his feet and finds some more intensity in his game, he has bust written all over him. harsh but true. guy will top out as a number 5 imo. i would rather have the picks back.

yes hindsight is 20 20, but that is how you judge a deal and the early returns suck on this one.

'I watched a 21 year old stay at home defenceman in his 8th to 20th games in the NHL and he didn't shoot the lights out. Bust'

Yes, he has work to do. The Oilers have acknowledged this, it's why he's in the NHL. The same talk that Chiarelli gave about Nurse and Draisaitl - keeping them down until they're ready to be up permanently - should apply to Reinhart. I actually saw a fair bit of good in his game when he was up here, but he wouldn't play over Klefbom, Nurse, or Sekera, Davidson has been a revelation, Schultz is horrible and shouldn't be paired with a young defenceman since he needs to be carried, and Reinhart shouldn't be paired with Gryba or Fayne since no one would move the puck.

It's also true that Nurse has surpassed him in his development, and he is no longer worth 4th overall, which is why we got him for 16th and 33rd.

He reminds me in a lot of ways of Sam Morin in Philly's system, except he's more physical and Reinhart is smarter. People SAY they understand that this kind of player takes a long time to develop, but I don't TRULY think that they understand it.

The bottom line is we won't have any idea of who won this trade for another 3 years bare minimum.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Double post, but I want this as an independent thought.
I searched for Speedyturtle on this site just to check track records and see if I missed anything.
Username wasn't found. Did we lose an informant?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Any other GM would have gotten Pulock instead of Reinhart for Barzal+Beauvillier. RHD prospect with #1 upside. Chia should have put more thoughts into it.

the OBC was fixated on Reinhart since he was an oilking. nothing against the kid, I hope he proves me wrong, but as a GM if you trade a mid round first and an early second in a deep draft for a dman you say is NHL ready, yet cant crack your top 6 and you are last place team, then you, your mgmt team and scouts have made a big mistake.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If we got Pulock instead Reinhart. I doubt we would hear RNH for Seth Jones/Shattenkirk. The only trade you hear about is Eberle for Hamonic in a 3-way trade.

The same Ryan Pulock that's spent the entire year in the AHL and whose offensive numbers have dropped? :popcorn:

Pulock at 21: #1 defenceman potential!

Reinhart at 21: BUSTY BUSTY BUST BUST BUST.

:laugh:

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope it's something like that. Absolutely idiotic to be playing him 25 minutes a night.
Look, I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. I'm simply saying this isn't necessarily going to ruin Nurse, nor is it necessarily in the long-term plans for this team.
Pretty sure Nurse isnt complaining... He is used to logging massive minutes and although struggling loving it. Pretty sure TMac isnt waiting on Chia... Klefbom returning would be help enough for Nurse.
Very very few defenders can handle the kind of minutes Nurse has been given. Maybe he's not complaining, but he's not being put in a situation to excel.
If Columbus wasn't interested in Jones, I have a very good feeling that Jones would be an Oiler when McDavid is back.
I agree 100%. Trading RNH before McDavid gets back would be suicide.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I don't get it. We choose to let a young dMan marinate in the minors for 7 months off and on and people are upset hes not Parayko? Whats wrong with having something be down there for a few years and be a 4,5,6 Dman? We knew he wasn't at the level of Nurse when we acquired him. Barzal was on display at the juniors and people lose their junk thinking we lost the trade. Guy has yet to play put together a healthy PPG season. but HF thinking revolves around what we can do over six months, and after a week of crap we all want to nuke this team. It's not like the team was on the cusp when it was handed to Chia and TMac.

you miss the point, its not about Barzal, its about our GM making a surer bet with those 2 high picks, especially when you see the market set by Calgary when they acquired hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad