Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Still debating ALL the unlikely options

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Ference was definitely not on his last legs.. If you believe that then take off your hindsight glasses. Ference was suppose to be the veteran leader to mentor the younger D prospects. Show me a link where half the fan base predicted he was going to be bought out.

Nikitin was as much an NHLer as Gryba. Chia got Sekera, MacT picked up Fayne..
Clandenning is pretty meh.. not much more than the experiments MacT tried

The only issue with Ference is immediately he's supposed to be a #1, 2dman. Even in his early days in Calgary he never became much more. On Boston, he was more like a #4.

Just like many other d the oilers acquire they push them in the limelight when there not meant for it or not ready.

McDeathbyCheerios*

hindsight!

The fat in 1 years could very well be Sekera, Talbot and whoever Chia signs to fix our D.
Right now we are comparing someone who tried and failed to someone who hasnt really tried.

Guys like Fayne and Ference both looked like great pickups at the time. Nikitin was a head scratcher but was only a 2yr deal. A bad GM could have really crippled this team. MacT's only moves that could bite us were Fayne and Pouliot. Rest were good risks in terms of term.
Grabbing a whole bunch of garbage and being shocked when it doesn't work isn't trying.

Chia is trying. Brought in Gryba and Sekera, better then all of MacTs d he brought in and hasn't done much else because he has a much higher standard of player then MacT does.

MacT gave away a pick to sign Nikitin who was coming off a bad season to play here as well.

They have done about as much however the moves Chai made aren't cap damaging moves.

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB
Honestly at this point I am willing to part with anyone other than McDavid, Drai, Nurse and Klef. As much as it would hurt to lose Hall, if it makes the team better than it has to be done. Also McDavid and Drai need to be surrounded by Vets that know how to win and are leaders. This current group doesnt have any of that. A guy like simmonds, or Jagr, or Hartnell would do wonders for them. Eberle and Hall and Nuge are just not the right supporting cast for McDavid.

Please Peter, do something.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ference was definitely not on his last legs.. If you believe that then take off your hindsight glasses. Ference was suppose to be the veteran leader to mentor the younger D prospects. Show me a link where half the fan base predicted he was going to be bought out.

Nikitin was as much an NHLer as Gryba. Chia got Sekera, MacT picked up Fayne..

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/7/5...-ference-in-order-to-buy-him-out-in-two-years

Jul 5, 2013, 3:45p

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Can't see any major trades coming until the offseason. We gain nothing valuable by improving our team now and ruining an asset (1st round pick). I have a feeling Chiarelli will try and ship out players like Purcell, Schultz, Gryba at the deadline and then in the offseason he will go big game hunting.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Honestly at this point I am willing to part with anyone other than McDavid, Drai, Nurse and Klef. As much as it would hurt to lose Hall, if it makes the team better than it has to be done. Also McDavid and Drai need to be surrounded by Vets that know how to win and are leaders. This current group doesnt have any of that. A guy like simmonds, or Jagr, or Hartnell would do wonders for them. Eberle and Hall and Nuge are just not the right supporting cast for McDavid.

Please Peter, do something.

The Oilers have needed a good leadership vet for a long, long time. Adam Oates was probably the last one they brought in.

I think those who are against moving Hall for a legit top defenseman forget just how much of an impact one can make. I was chatting with a poster who got banned from HFBoards about how a lot of Oiler fans don't remember the impact Pronger had on this team. And I don't even expect the Oilers to get "Pronger", but even a steadying, top defenseman would do wonders for this club.

You mention trading Hall, Eberle, Yak or RNH for defense and they don't know what to do because "offense" has been the Oilers mantra for a long, long time.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So who gets moved. For me I have a basic roster set up like this:

Hall-Draisaitl-?
?-Mcdavid-Eberle
?-?-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Sekera-?
?-?
?-?

Talbot

That leaves us all of Pouliot, Purcell, Yakupov, RNH, Korpikoski, Lander, Klefbom, Fayne, Nurse, Reinhart, Schultz, Clendening, Gryba. That can be moved or not resigned and replaced with a UFA. So who do you bring back and who do you move to make a competitive team next season?

I think theres a few guys we should focus on in Free Agency, Darren Helm, Alex Goligoski, and Andrew Ladd. All 3 would help this team immensely. Im not sure what it takes to sign them but if we could get all 3 for under 15M we'd be alright, especially if we can move RNH and Pouliot in a deal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So who gets moved. For me I have a basic roster set up like this:

Hall-Draisaitl-?
?-Mcdavid-Eberle
?-?-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Sekera-?
?-?
?-?

Talbot

That leaves us all of Pouliot, Purcell, Yakupov, RNH, Korpikoski, Lander, Klefbom, Fayne, Nurse, Reinhart, Schultz, Clendening, Gryba. That can be moved or not resigned and replaced with a UFA. So who do you bring back and who do you move to make a competitive team next season?

I think theres a few guys we should focus on in Free Agency, Darren Helm, Alex Goligoski, and Andrew Ladd. All 3 would help this team immensely. Im not sure what it takes to sign them but if we could get all 3 for under 15M we'd be alright, especially if we can move RNH and Pouliot in a deal.
I include Klefbom in that group unless he goes to **** all of a sudden. Our d went from looking like we were okay to God awful once he got hurt.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I include Klefbom in that group unless he goes to **** all of a sudden. Our d went from looking like we were okay to God awful once he got hurt.

Meh, I feel that Goligoski is an upgrade on Klef. Would move him for the right deal, or bring him back if were unable to add a better LHD.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

You'll just have to go look up the reaction threads when Ference was signed. A 33/34 year old, small defensive defenseman was never going to be a popular signing in Edmonton, and it wasn't.

Justifiably so considering how bad he's been over the term of his contract.

Nikitin was as much an NHLer as Gryba.

Gryba is a depth pickup who makes 1.2 mill. Nikitin is a 4.5 million dollar disaster that was already playing his way out of the NHL in Columbus when Mact came knocking

He's not even buried in the AHL because of the contract, it's because he can't play at this level

Chia got Sekera, MacT picked up Fayne.

Since we're keeping score - That's two NHL defensemen for Chia in his first two months on the job(Gryba, Sekera), and 1 NHL defenseman of questionable quality in 2 years for Mactavish.

The distinction being that Mactavish bet on his "experiments" to shore up the team's defensive issues while he fixated on acquiring more wingers, Chia is just picking up a guy who might be able to provide a bit of depth.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Meh, I feel that Goligoski is an upgrade on Klef. Would move him for the right deal, or bring him back if were unable to add a better LHD.
Goli is a right shot d and 30. Replacing Klefbom with an 8 year older right shot makes no sense and even if he is an upgrade in his current play, he wouldn't be for very long. That and the guy isn't even 6ft tall

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Goli is a right shot d and 30. Replacing Klefbom with an 8 year older right shot makes no sense and even if he is an upgrade in his current play, he wouldn't be for very long. That and the guy isn't even 6ft tall

Goligoski is a LHD... If your top two LHD are Sekera and Goligoski, and you can trade Klefbom for Hamonic I'd do it. Starts rounding out your d core with Reinhart, Nurse, and Davidson still in the pipeline.

Sekera-?
Goligoski-Hamonic
Davidson-?
?

If Goligoski plays the right side thats even better. Have something like:

Sekera-Hamonic
Nurse-Goligoski
Davidson-?
?

Or swap out Nurse and trade him while keeping Klef in that spot.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goligoski is a LHD... If your top two LHD are Sekera and Goligoski, and you can trade Klefbom for Hamonic I'd do it. Starts rounding out your d core with Reinhart, Nurse, and Davidson still in the pipeline.

Sekera-?
Goligoski-Hamonic
Davidson-?
?

If Goligoski plays the right side thats even better. Have something like:

Sekera-Hamonic
Nurse-Goligoski
Davidson-?
?

Or swap out Nurse and trade him while keeping Klef in that spot.
Klefbom for Hamonic is a losing trade

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goligoski is a right **** d man playing left... Probably just to play with Klingberg

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Goligoski is a right **** d man playing left... Probably just to play with Klingberg

NHL.com says he's a lefty...

Then Yahoo has him as a RHD.

Edit: I got to the bottom of this. He's a lefty.
alex-goligoski-nhl-st.-louis-blues-dallas-stars-850x560.jpg

McDeathbyCheerios*

Either way what if we move RNH for Shattenkirk. With things on either side.

Sign Goligoski.

Sekera - Shattenkirk
Klefbom - Goligoski
Best 2 out of camp

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Either way what if we move RNH for Shattenkirk. With things on either side.

Sign Goligoski.

Sekera - Shattenkirk
Klefbom - Goligoski
Best 2 out of camp

This board has always had a problem with RNH for Shatty because of term. I'd do it even if it only improves our shot at signing Shatty next year. He is the definition of what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad