Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Still debating ALL the unlikely options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I agree, Shatty has a great shot that Oil need and has a great u.q for a defenceman. Shattenkirk over Hamonic every day.

Why not both? One of Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo and Hamonic. Completely transforms our defence.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree, Shatty has a great shot that Oil need and has a great i.q for a defenceman. Shattenkirk over Hamonic every day.

There is a ton of appeal in Hamonic in that he actually wants to play here (in theory). At any rate, if Snow will trade him here that means he wants to be here.

Shattenkirk would cost a ton because of that extra year attached and there would be no assurance that he would re-sign. We could ask the GM to talk to him beforehand, but that's a requirement of the trade then there's a miniscule chance it gets done. Shattenkirk would promise us nothing besides platitudes, because why would he commit so early? He will have a ton of power as a FA, and can find a lot of money and he could pick his destination.

To me, I like the idea of targeting Byfuglien as a UFA after trading for Hamonic. UFA has the benefit of really talking to him and making the conversation real with ink. Also of course we don't have to give up player assets.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
nikita........ nevermind

ha, I know you are joking, but I believe even in that instance we traded for his rights and then signed him. Columbus allowed us to talk to him all through the process and we had the word of him and his agent that he would sign a contract we agreed on.

It's worth it to ask Shattenkirk to do the same, although it becomes less likely because he's not an impending UFA. He's also a top tier player who probably isn't looking for the kind of agreement that Nikitin went for. He's a guy with loads of options and I doubt he's looking to leave St.Louis. If he is, he's got every reason to wait until July 2017

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
My question is do we have enough to get Pietrangelo out of St. Louis if we sign Goligoski? RNH+Nurse+2016 1st for Pietrangelo? Then St. Louis has the money to resign Shattenkirk, and Backes if they let Steen walk after next season.

^wow! fans really don't know the value of players do they? WAY too much for Pietrangelo! :shakehead

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
^wow! fans really don't know the value of players do they? WAY too much for Pietrangelo! :shakehead

He's one of the best young defensemen in the NHL, tied up in a good contract until the end of the decade. I would personally want to try to change the Nurse asset, but it's a pretty reasonable proposal considering it would take a significant overpay just to entice St.Louis to consider moving him.

A 20 year old version of that player who is still more potential than ability just went for a first line center on his own; the 25 year old version that is an established number one defenseman like Pietrangelo is would cost even more.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
It is funny how many people liked the deal at the time but hate it now

most people didn't like the term. and It impossible to see when a player falls off a cliff like He did. He was maybe the best D man in the weak UFA group and we need to be active in the UFA market if we want to be successful.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe it's just me but I've never been overly impressed with Pietrangelo. He'd be miles better than anyone that we have now on D but that's not saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad