Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don’t want Simmonds.

He’s too slow and he won’t sit in the press box for the entire season.

This is a “take our over the hill washed up guy to help out the Leafs” rumour.

They signed Aston-Reese to a PTO just so that they didn’t have to play Simmonds.

Don’t we already have one close to expired vet in Brassard anyway?

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Want he just on waivers?

Am I missing something here?

After clearing waivers, all signs point towards the Toronto Maple Leafs trading Wayne Simmonds.

It was pretty certain that Simmonds would clear waivers, but it wasn’t certain on what his future would be. There was a chance that he would play for the Toronto Marlies but that’s not going to happen anymore, as he wasn’t listed on the team’s roster to start the season.

So, basically at this point in his career, Simmonds has an NHL contract, but nowhere to play.

As a result, he’s bound to get traded any day.

So, he's available for free, there were no takers, so he's bound to be traded?

Does it have to do with salary retention or the Leafs including picks or taking on a contract to lose the contract?

I’m not sure how that helps the Leafs.

Reactions: playasRus

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Does it have to do with salary retention or the Leafs including picks or taking on a contract to lose the contract?

What probably happens is a 1for1 for an AHL player deal like Simmonds to Calgary for Clarke Bishop.

Toronto likely doesn’t want to do this and wants to find a team to take him for free since they’re at 50 contracts and want the flexibility.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What probably happens is a 1for1 for an AHL player deal like Simmonds to Calgary for Clarke Bishop.

Toronto likely doesn’t want to do this and wants to find a team to take him for free since they’re at 50 contracts and want the flexibility.

I guess they need to find someone who will report to the AHL and makes around $900K.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
In the short-term.

In the long-term, if the cap keeps rising, Ottawa won't be able to keep pace forever.

Could be the key to that tricky year though. Helps keep pretty much everyone we want longterm.

F - $50
Tkachuk 8 Stu 8.5 Bath 5
Cat 9 Norris 8 Giroux 6.5
Pinto 6

D - $25.2
Chabot 8 Zub 5
Sanderson 8 Chychrun 4.2

G - $3
Forsberg 3

This is $78.2
Timeline on required increases here are a little different but after paying DeBrincat, Sanderson, and Pinto it leaves about 8 million to fill out the roster. (That’s with a trade for Chychrun lol)
Would keep the majority of the core together for 5 years anyway. Pretty exciting possibility!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
this is the only move that makes sense if we are actually interested. I hope we arent though

My concern about Simmonds will be that he'll want to play.

I think Brassard has a pretty good understanding of the fact that he'll be inserted in particular situations or against particular teams.

If it was playing Simmonds for 20 games for specific opponents where we need a little more sandpaper, great.

But he has had a good career and I suspect he doesn't want to sit on the shelf for when he is required or he wouldn't be traded.

Reactions: TheNewEra and NB613

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
PO Joseph (Mathieu's brother) is reportedly available.

I wonder if Ottawa might be interested.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Simmons plays RW & Watson plays RW, unless one of them can play the left side that would be a pretty formidable 4th line ... Simmons - Kastelic - Watson. I'd definitely trade Gambrell for Simmons we don't need Gambrell, should never have re-signed him. Simmons at least can play a role & police the team & he used to be a decent goal scorer & is friends with Giroux. He'd also be another good mentor for Kastelic teaching him the finer points on fighting, scoring & playing hard nosed hockey the right way. I like the idea.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Simmons plays RW & Watson plays RW, unless one of them can play the left side that would be a pretty formidable 4th line ... Simmons - Kastelic - Watson. I'd definitely trade Gambrell for Simmons we don't need Gambrell, should never have re-signed him. Simmons at least can play a role & police the team & he used to be a decent goal scorer & is friends with Giroux. He'd also be another good mentor for Kastelic teaching him the finer points on fighting, scoring & playing hard nosed hockey the right way. I like the idea.
That might be one of the worst 4th lines in the league, don't know where you get the impression they'd be "formidable". Will constantly be on the wrong side of the puck, mismatched on handedness and a massive liability.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That might be one of the worst 4th lines in the league, don't know where you get the impression they'd be "formidable". Will constantly be on the wrong side of the puck, mismatched on handedness and a massive liability.
Two of those guys are already on the 4th line & seem to be doing great. While Kelly is the much better skater he is inexperienced as he has shown a couple of times already this yr, Simmons wouldn't have to play every game just against the bigger tougher teams.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Screams Greening-Smith-Neil.

There just isn't a place for an all tough guy line in today's NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

There are advantages to trading for a player vs picking them Up on waivers I believe. Don’t know specifically what they are but we definitely all have this convo every year lol.

I beleive when you pick up a player from waivers there are restirictions on their movement after they’ve been picked up. When you trade for them there are zero. Could be wrong.

Not to mention in a trade you can get the other team to retain

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
There are advantages to trading for a player vs picking them Up on waivers I believe. Don’t know specifically what they are but we definitely all have this convo every year lol.

I beleive when you pick up a player from waivers there are restirictions on their movement after they’ve been picked up. When you trade for them there are zero. Could be wrong.

Not to mention in a trade you can get the other team to retain

What I don't understand is what happens to players like Simmons who go on waivers and don't end up in the AHL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In the short-term.

In the long-term, if the cap keeps rising, Ottawa won't be able to keep pace forever.
That depends on what's driving the cap increase

Central revenue helps us

Local franchise revenue hurts us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A cap of 86.5M means revenues of 4.8B

86.5M/1.15x32x2 =4.8B

I imagine that revenue number is 2021/22 as this year it will be back over 5B easily.

US Broadcasts 635M
Rogers 320M (USD estimate)

No idea what the additional central revenues would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad