Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Scott Mayfield RD is a 29 yr old UFA & could be available at the TDL depending on how the NY Islanders do this yr. He would certainly add that fear factor, he can play on the PK & is a decent 3rd pairing player. While they might not move Holden at the TDL it's almost certain that he won't be re-signed at his age. Hopefully, by this point next season PD has found a way to move Zaitsev to make roster & cap room.
I've seen Mayfield's name pop up a few times. Is there a reason why the Islanders would not want to keep him?

Based on a quick review of CapFriendly, they have 17 players signed for the 2023-24 season with $72,175,000 of committed salaries. That would leave them $11,325,00 $22,150,000 to sign 6 players (for a 23 player roster) which seems reasonable (at a quick glance). One of the 5 defenders they have signed for the 2023-24 season is an ELC.

It seems like they'd lean towards keeping Mayfield unless there's something else that is going on. Has Mayfield indicated he will be seeking free agency? Is the thinking that we could acquire Mayfield for less than Zub which is possible I suppose, but depends entirely on him not resigning with the NYI.

Note - Edited.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He said he doesn't think the senators are trading for Chychrun. Arizona won't budge on asking price. "But that could all change with a phone call."
So, one possible interpretation of the last sentence is that Bruce is helping the organization sell tickets by keeping the Chychrun hopes alive. Hey, you never know. LOL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've seen Mayfield's name pop up a few times. Is there a reason why the Islanders would not want to keep him?

Based on a quick review of CapFriendly, they have 17 players signed for the 2023-24 season with $61,350,000 of committed salaries. That would leave them $22,150,000 to sign 6 players which seems reasonable (at a quick glance). One of the 5 defenders they have signed for the 2023-24 season is an ELC.

It seems like they'd lean towards keeping Mayfield unless there's something else that is going on. Has Mayfield indicated he will be seeking free agency? Is the thinking that we could acquire Mayfield for less than Zub which is possible I suppose, but depends entirely on him not resigning with the NYI.
No idea, he's a big tough RD that could patrol our blueline & take on all comers. Not sure what the NYI do especially if they are out of the playoff race as the TDL approaches. If they are not out of it my guess is that he would not be available, he's too good a player to give up if they are going into the playoffs, I like the player though.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Based on a quick review of CapFriendly, they have 17 players signed for the 2023-24 season with $61,350,000 of committed salaries. That would leave them $22,150,000 to sign 6 players which seems reasonable (at a quick glance). One of the 5 defenders they have signed for the 2023-24 season is an ELC.

mayfield is aragorn's new lawson crouse

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No idea, he's a big tough RD that could patrol our blueline & take on all comers. Not sure what the NYI do especially if they are out of the playoff race as the TDL approaches. If they are not out of it my guess is that he would not be available, he's too good a player to give up if they are going into the playoffs, I like the player though.
Well, OK. If you just like the guy, that's fine. Thought there might have been something else.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
At 0-2 there is no way we can trade our 1st round pick. 🤨

Seriously though, I would rather have it in such a deep draft unless it is a no-brainer move.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
why we are not trying connor murphy ?

not old ( 29 year) ... very defencive D , right hand

not bad contract

will be way cheap

p.s know his injury history , but its anyway lattery, ( high %)

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

It's based on the assumption that the Islanders free fall in the standings without Trotz.

I'm just trying to manifest that into happening by talking about Mayfield.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It's based on the assumption that the Islanders free fall in the standings without Trotz.

I'm just trying to manifest that into happening by talking about Mayfield.
So, if it reaches that point, that would imply that the Islanders are tanking then and want to rebuild. Is that the idea?

They just signed Barzal to a big, new contract and I think the same with Dobson (shorter term). And, they were earnestly pursuing Kadri this offseason. That doesn't seem like a rebuilding team.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

just a quick thing to point out, they have 11.325 in cap space with 17 players signed. So they will need to sign 3 to 6 players.

Depending on what wahlstrom ends up doing this year his extension may end up being a decent amount of that cap space. They should be able to still sign mayfield but may end up deciding to invest that cap somewhere else since they have some defenceman knocking on the doorstep

I also think it is partially wishful thinking that the sens are in a better spot then the isles around the trade deadline time

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
why we are not trying connor murphy ?

not old ( 29 year) ... very defencive D , right hand

not bad contract

will be way cheap

p.s know his injury history , but its anyway lattery, ( high %)
He’s got a no trade list. Maybe we’re on it as you’d have to think they’d of inquired about him

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
just a quick thing to point out, they have 11.325 in cap space with 17 players signed. So they will need to sign 3 to 6 players.

Depending on what wahlstrom ends up doing this year his extension may end up being a decent amount of that cap space. They should be able to still sign mayfield but may end up deciding to invest that cap somewhere else since they have some defenceman knocking on the doorstep

I also think it is partially wishful thinking that the sens are in a better spot then the isles around the trade deadline time
Ya, I added the forward, defense & goaltender subtotals and somehow came up with something different. Looking at CapFriendly again just now and they do have $11,325,000 of Projected Cap Space with 17 players signed. 6 players was a 23-player roster, so yes, they could go with fewer players.

So, my bad.

As far as RD prospects in their system (info from CapFriendly), they have:
  1. Hutton, undrafted, 27 years old
  2. Wilde, drafted in 2nd round
  3. LaDue, drafted in 6th round of 2012 draft
I'm not very familiar with their prospects, but are any of these knocking on the door and are ready to graduate?

And, I don't know what the Islanders plan is for the future, but I haven't heard of plans to rebuild and recent signings would seem to indicate they are not on that path. However, I was just asking for more info to see if there was anything out there that suggested what they planned on doing.

Update - Salo is the Islanders young defender. Maybe they like him although CF has him as a LD.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewEra

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Maybe Gambrel in for Kelly.

Kelly deserves to sit after his decisions against Toronto. But I'd rather see Brassard instead of Gambrell.

And based on how we're allocating ice time, also wouldn't mind seeing the lines split up to be:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stützle - Joseph
Brassard - Pinto - Giroux
Motte - Kastelic - Watson

Swap Motte and Brassard depending on the flow of the game.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
At 0-2 there is no way we can trade our 1st round pick. 🤨

Seriously though, I would rather have it in such a deep draft unless it is a no-brainer move.

Yeah, I am done with drafting another young player, so we can overhype him to the extend that he gets signed for a massive deal that he doesn't deserve

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kelly deserves to sit after his decisions against Toronto. But I'd rather see Brassard instead of Gambrell.

And based on how we're allocating ice time, also wouldn't mind seeing the lines split up to be:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stützle - Joseph
Brassard - Pinto - Giroux
Motte - Kastelic - Watson

Swap Motte and Brassard depending on the flow of the game.
I don't see us doing that on home ice, if anything for the homestand we should be staking offensive lines and have a dedicated matchup line. We have the opportunity to get out scores out against their 4th lines, and have our best defenders smothering their top lines, your lineup makes more sense on the road imo.

Having said that, I do like it, though I might swap Joseph and Batherson.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Don’t know where to post this. Lebrun said Bettman told him, if the escrows is paid this year and this is a good possibility. The cap will go up by 4 M this summer

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

If this happens (and we’re a cap team), we can get Chychrun and keep all our guys.

Buy some tickets Sens fans - full cap +$4 million = lots of sold tickets based off the cheapest tickets in the league.

Unless you need Melynk’s daughters to pay the bill.

Good start - let’s keep it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad