Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yotes fans were ready to take on a bad contract just to get rid of Schmaltz before this season:

Trading assets for him would be buying high on him. Talented player but I don't know if he keeps this up.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yotes fans were ready to take on a bad contract just to get rid of Schmaltz before this season:

Trading assets for him would be buying high on him. Talented player but I don't know if he keeps this up.
20% of his points this season came in 2 games against Ottawa!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
20% of his points this season came in 2 games against Ottawa!

We do all our pro scouting during Sens games so Schmaltz becoming a Senator is definitely possible.

I remember Boedker lighting up the Sens back in his Yotes days and it made our idiotic management and pro scouts think he was a top 6 forward worth trading Hoffman for straight up.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We do all our pro scouting during Sens games so Schmaltz becoming a Senator is definitely possible.

I remember Boedker lighting up the Sens back in his Yotes days and it made our idiotic management and pro scouts think he was a top 6 forward worth trading Hoffman for straight uTh
That trade never got the heat it deserved.

Even if the rumours of the relationship between Karl and Hoffman were true GMPD handled it absolutely awful.

A) He let the issue fester and then get public
B) He made a quick, panic trade far below market value

Hoffman as a natural scorer in his prime should have gotten us a a lot more (as shown when Wilson swapped him to the Cats)...really terrible trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Schmaltz
I'd be okay with going after both Crouse & Schmaltz from Arz, but I would imagine it might be too expensive for Ottawa. While IMO Fiala is the better player Schmaltz might be an upgrade on White on our bottom six & be a good depth player should we lose another centre again. Given that he is a right shot would also give Ottawa a little more depth on the right side & he could be the vet to help Stutzle & Formenton.

Fiala IMO is going to cost too much & potentially create other holes elsewhere in the lineup & Giroux will have to want to come here & give up any opportunity for going on a cup run anytime soon. Acquiring Nick Schmaltz is not a terrible idea & if it could also include Crouse would make Ottawa a much better team than they are today. Of course, I would wait until they find out who Kuzmenko decides to sign with & what Girous plans to do before making any move, they may not have to if ether guy decides to sign here.

To Arz: 2022 2nd rd pick, Brannstrom LD, Kelly LW, White C & Thomson RD
To Ott: Lawson Crouse LW & Nick Scmaltz C/RW

Arz - get 4 young NHL players & a 2nd rd pick to excellerate their rebuild
Ott: gets the big tough young enforcer for their future & a good top 6 player

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - Schmaltz
Joseph - Pinto - C. Brown
Crouse - Kastelic - Watson/Sokolov

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well, I mean he is quite clearly better than Fiala, I think we can all agree on that? So I take it your issue is with me saying he's only a "slight" step down from Giroux. That's fair, Giroux is still really good. I guess "slight" is a pretty vague term and maybe not the right one to have used. But I just think between the cap hit Giroux will command and the fact that he'll be declining as his cap hit stays the same as we get closer to being contenders, Giroux just isn't such a good fit. I'd take Giroux over Fiala, but I'd take Schmaltz over either.

Yea you won't get me to agree on this I don't think it's particularly close and to be clear I would rather have Fiala. For some reason Fiala is mightily underrated especially on this board.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Like someone alluded to, we need a game-breaker. A driver.

Giroux/Fiala/Keller

If we want just a top 6 there's plenty in UFA this year including Reilly Smith who we can probably get for good money and still at good age-ish.

Lol that was probably me. I've been saying it a lot. We've debated enough about Giroux. Keller absolutely would be amazing; but the combination of cap hit and acquisition cost would have me weary.

So then we're left with Fiala/Schmaltz. Most of the last page on the topic has been useless drivel, but someone did raise a worthwhile point that Fiala is the more dynamic player. That much I would agree with, if by that we mean he's better making plays in tight spaces in and around the danger areas, and that part sounds more like "game-breaker". But these terms aren't all exactly interchangeable, and they certainly aren't well-defined. As far as a play-driver and a difference-maker, Nick Schmaltz is as good as any forward in the league carrying the puck through the neutral zone, outside of the obvious superstars. I'm honestly surprised there was so much backlash about me thinking Schmaltz is clearly better than Fiala. Wasn't trying to be provocative there. Fiala gets the edge in the offensive zone but as an overall 200-foot player, I'd take Schmaltz any day of the week.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Maybe we can carry on this thread after Nick Schmaltz’s family members get back to the arizona happy hour.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Jakob Chychryn
Clayton Keller

For

2022 1st round pick (no protection)
2023 2nd
Erik Brannstrom
Colin White
Ridley Greig

Think Arizona would bite?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Even if the rumours of the relationship between Karl and Hoffman were true GMPD handled it absolutely awful.

Hoffman as a natural scorer in his prime should have gotten us a a lot more (as shown when Wilson swapped him to the Cats)...really terrible trade.
That's his worst one in my opinion. Yes worse than Zibanejad or Stone. He got negative value back while the player was flipped immediately after.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's his worst one in my opinion. Yes worse than Zibanejad or Stone. He got negative value back while the player was flipped immediately after.
Stone was worse in my mind personally.

A buddy of mine asked him why he didn’t trade back in 2019 for pinto his exact words were I didn’t want to get screwed over again like I did with Hoffman.

I don’t get why Hoffman wasn’t the very first to go the second we decided on a Rebuild. Was Dorion not aware of what was going on the locker room? He should have been traded immediately.

Crazy to think how much that karlsson trade saved all our assed. He got back essentially zero for Hoffman and stone

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
lol people wanting to trade the sens first this year. Unbelievable

If we have the 6th or 7th overall pick. Any one of Nazar or Lekki or whoever of the smaller group.. Keller is their best case scenario.

~ PPG dynamic gamebreaking forward whose only limitation is his size. I'd without question trade it for Keller.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

When I read about the trade I thought Boedker was going to be the add-on piece. I was fine with that as a reclamation project, but it turns out he was the main piece. What a mistake that turned out to be.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

And just to make it even more embarrassing we gave up a 5th round pick in the deal and the Sharks included a 6th round pick.

So Dorion couldn't even get Boedker back for Hoffman. Had to downgrade a pick :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And just to make it even more embarrassing we gave up a 5th round pick in the deal and the Sharks included a 6th round pick.

So Dorion couldn't even get Boedker back for Hoffman. Had to downgrade a pick :laugh:
It was truly a spectacle which makes me believe that pro scouting believed Boedker was still a legit top 6 winger. And I mean that sort of checks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad