Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Which is why we must act now. If we are bottom 5 by this trade deadline, we know the issue: lack of top 6 threat. Trade Brown for serious assets in a deep draft, then make SERIOUS changes this off-season to ensure that we are not in similar position next trade deadline.

Brown's 2 way ability and work ethic wont do shit for this team if we remain bottom 5/out of playoff hunt during years we should clearly be competing.
Do we though? Looks a lot more like it's the defense (forwards role in that included of course, but primarily the personnel on D) that is sinking the team this year and last year.

Reactions: Bileur

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think I'd rather trade Paul this trade deadline and keep Brown, at least until next trade deadline.

There's significantly more LW depth than RW depth long-term.

LW: Stutzle, Tkachuk, Formenton, Jarventie, Crookshank
RW: Batherson, Sokolov and Boucher

Plus besides Kastelic all our center prospects (Greig, Kelly, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Daoust and Johansson) are left-handed and probably fit better at LW than RW if they don't end up playing up the middle.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This all sounds a lot like what we heard all over this board leading up to JGP being traded. I expect Brown to go down the same route, being traded at the 2023 TDL.

While I like the return for JGP I think we'd be better off right now had we kept him. Brown is similar in that regard as they are both ideal guys to help with the development of our young players.

I prefer JGP as a player to Brown but I still think we should be keeping Brown.

I dunno.

JPG was the last player to be traded in our tear-down-to-the-studs rebuild.

Brown is coming up for a contract when we are on the upswing of the rebuild and looking to develop the kids and have solid players surrounding them.

Brown may want to leave, but from a team perspective I agree that it’s time start keeping these kinds of players.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Do we though? Looks a lot more like it's the defense (forwards role in that included of course, but primarily the personnel on D) that is sinking the team this year and last year.

Yea, you def right, top 4 D PLUS top 6 talent no doubt. Stutzle is begging for help.

I think I'd rather trade Paul this trade deadline and keep Brown, at least until next trade deadline.

There's significantly more LW depth than RW depth long-term.

LW: Stutzle, Tkachuk, Formenton, Jarventie, Crookshank
RW: Batherson, Sokolov and Boucher

My scenario of trading Brown is contingent on us making a big move in free agency.

Connor Brown at 3.6 mil vs Reilly Smith at 6-6.5 + 1st +2nd+3rd in deep draft. No brainer, really.

Smith, Batherson, Sokolov, Watson, Boucher looks like a different story.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I dunno.

JPG was the last player to be traded in our year-down-to-the-studs rebuild.

Brown is coming up for a contract when we are on the upswing of the rebuild and looking to develop the kids and have solid layers surrounding them.

Brown may want to leave, but from a team perspective I agree that it’s time start keeping these kinds of players.
I really like him on his current contract and at least we have one more year before it needs to be decided. We can get a better picture on how much of last year was an anomaly or if he is capable of producing like that for more than one season.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
My scenario of trading Brown is contingent on us making a big move in free agency.

Connor Brown at 3.6 mil vs Reilly Smith at 6-6.5 + 1st +2nd+3rd in deep draft. No brainer, really.

Smith, Batherson, Sokolov, Watson, Boucher looks like a different story.

Fair enough.

That was the same argument I made for trading Pageau and using his money to replace him in free agency.

Pageau @ 5M vs 1st (Greig) + 2nd (Kleven) + Dadonov @ 5M is how that turned out. Still a win even if Dadonov was a flop.

It could make sense, but I guess it really depends on how much extra teams are willing to pay for Brown this trade deadline given the extra year on his contract at a good cap hit compared to as a rental next trade deadline. If it's significant ala Coleman/Goodrow you have to consider it.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

And we will be looking at a late 2nd rounder if even that. Imagine what we would have got had we traded him last trade deadline.

No offense but a lot of you lacking vision. We must either have extension in place for C.Brown now(and he signs is off-season) or we trade him in trade deadline. Letting him go into next season without contract would be horrendous asset management.

Look at what NJD did. They turned Blake Coleman(who is similar in ice-impact as Brown) into Mercer. Who is not looking like a spectacular top 6 piece moving forward.

THAT'S asset management. Coleman was still pretty young enough to stay on team that looked like it was on the come up with their young future core already on roster(Hughes,Hischer, Zacha, Bratt).

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, yup, that's the mindset we must have.

Cup contending teams will absolutely pay a 1st+ for Connor Brown. He is an elite bottom 6 piece with excellent contract and 20 goal ability for next 1.5 years. We can even eat half of his contract no problem.

I am typically all for keeping talent. I wanted to keep Stone and believe letting him go is the biggest blunder we made. At the same time, however, we are given a possibility to allocate some of Brown's money to a legit top 6 threat while getting another pick in a deeeeep draft. It helps we have budding bottom 6 prospects eager to get ice-time as well.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sure, but optics would be pretty bad, and be taken badly by the fanbase.

As has been mentioned, at some point we have to start keeping our valuable players instead of trying to turn them into draft picks that won’t be able to help for another few years.

We have to take a step forward next season, both in UFA options, but also in our own development, and I think Brown in particular really does exemplify the core identity of this team. There may be deeper ramifications to trading him beyond a simply roster spot and contract.

I am leery for sure.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Watson way too far up in the lineup here. What he provides is replacement level. I really don’t understand that Watson love affair on this board.
He’s a very good 4th line player who sacrifices for the team at a very modest price. What’s not to like ?
I think the issue is you have Norris and Stutzle coming up soon. Zub too.
Then Sanderson will want his payday. Does Connor Brown take a 3 year deal or is he going to want 7 years?
Obviously it depends on the contract 4 x 3 years. If he wants a Hyman deal then let him go.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And we will be looking at a late 2nd rounder if even that. Imagine what we would have got had we traded him last trade deadline.

Yeah it was a missed opportunity. Paul's value to a contending team to rent him for a playoff run, get him for the entire 2021/22 season and then another playoff run could have potentially garnered a 1st round pick, or at least far more than what we'll get this trade deadline.

Also said we should have traded Tierney at the 2019/20 deadline, and what a mistake keeping him has turned out to be.

Sens management cares little about properly managing assets. They hold onto diminishing assets far too often for inexplicable reasons.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think Ottawa should trade Connor Brown this year. He’s going to want a significant raise with good term this time around since it’ll he his last payday more than likely.
Brown isn’t a player you want on your team for more than 4M per.

He could garner quite the package on TDL day.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

No offense but a lot of you lacking vision. We must either have extension in place for C.Brown now(and he signs is off-season) or we trade him in trade deadline. Letting him go into next season without contract would be horrendous asset management.

Look at what NJD did. They turned Blake Coleman(who is similar in ice-impact as Brown) into Mercer. Who is not looking like a spectacular top 6 piece moving forward.

THAT'S asset management. Coleman was still pretty young enough to stay on team that looked like it was on the come up with their young future core already on roster(Hughes,Hischer, Zacha, Bratt).

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, yup, that's the mindset we must have.

Cup contending teams will absolutely pay a 1st+ for Connor Brown. He is an elite bottom 6 piece with excellent contract and 20 goal ability for next 1.5 years. We can even eat half of his contract no problem.

I am typically all for keeping talent. I wanted to keep Stone and believe letting him go is the biggest blunder we made. At the same time, however, we are given a possibility to allocate some of Brown's money to a legit top 6 threat while getting another pick in a deeeeep draft. It helps we have budding bottom 6 prospects eager to get ice-time as well.
New Jersey didn’t chose Mercer with the puck acquired for Coleman.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Rangers are looking for a 2nd/3rd line winger

Should offer them Brown + Boucher + Paul for Schneider + Kravtsov + depth forward

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Paul's contract along with his play should make him desirable to a lot of teams .. even those close to the cap. He would be a great add to a contender. I could see him getting a very good return.

Not saying we should trade him... but if we are looking to move Brown, I would think we would look to move Paul first.

This rebuild has really lacked some quality vets... particularly on D... People look at Ennis as a good player. That definitely says something pretty loudly to me. He was on a PTO so it kind of tells us where he is at on quality teams. Sure the bottom feeder types looking to the draft and rebuilding or retooling could add him. Brought in as a PP guy according to DJ. Who does he replace on PP1? Who can he replace? PP2 is a joke with the level of players we have on it.

The level of insulation Dorion has provided this young group is a mistake. This team could be better . Winning more games .. keeping things positive as the young group develops and gradually takes the reigns. Dorion has constructed a team where the young guys absolutely have to take the reigns and the pressure that comes with that very early in their NHL careers.

The D Dorion has brought in is a joke (lucking out on Zub not withstanding). He gave MDZ the same term as Zub. He's let some half way decent forwards walk for nothing leaving our depth at paper thin levels. The Rebuild is clearly no where close to over.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think you’re both giving us too much credit thinking we only have 1 issue. The issue is that we have multiple issues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The thing is, Dzingle doesn’t provide near the defensive prowess that Brown does.

Brown is an exceptional defender and PKer for this team, and when everyone is slotted properly can be the RW of a top tier checking/shut down line that can score goals.

Paired with Paul they create our top PK pairing as well, which again provides exceptional roster value.

He is a heart and soul player and I don’t think we should even consider trading him for a late first round pick. The odds aren’t great that they would ever be able to provide what Brown provides for us right now or over the next several years.

It would have to be a top 15 pick or keep him.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He’s a very good 4th line player who sacrifices for the team at a very modest price. What’s not to like ?

Obviously it depends on the contract 4 x 3 years. If he wants a Hyman deal then let him go.
I like a little bit more edge with my 4th line guys. I don’t want them skating around smiling at people.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think the issue is you have Norris and Stutzle coming up soon. Zub too.
Then Sanderson will want his payday. Does Connor Brown take a 3 year deal or is he going to want 7 years?
Doubt anyone is signing Connor brown for 7 years

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think I'm interested in giving 29 year-old Connor Brown the sort of deal he'll be looking to score in the Spring/Summer of 2023. Feels like that might be a mistake.

You love Connor Brown when he's making ~3M in his early/mid-20's, but how much do you love him when he's making ~5M in his early 30's? How well is that contract going to age?

This is going to be the first real test of whether the Senators are sticking to their guns on the rebuild philosophy. When the teardown was happening and guys like Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Pageau, etc. were being shipped out the common refrain was that the Sens don't want to be locked into long-term, big money contracts for post-prime years. Will Connor Brown be held to that same standard? Certainly a lot hinges on whether the team progresses, but as it stands right now I don't think it makes sense to extend him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think I'm interested in giving 29 year-old Connor Brown the sort of deal he'll be looking to score in the Spring/Summer of 2023. Feels like that might be a mistake.

You love Connor Brown when he's making ~3M in his early/mid-20's, but how much do you love him when he's making ~5M in his early 30's? How well is that contract going to age?

This is going to be the first real test of whether the Senators are sticking to their guns on the rebuild philosophy. When the teardown was happening and guys like Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Pageau, etc. were being shipped out the common refrain was that the Sens don't want to be locked into long-term, big money contracts for post-prime years. Will Connor Brown be held to that same standard? Certainly a lot hinges on whether the team progresses, but as it stands right now I don't think it makes sense to extend him.
We are at a different part of the rebuild we should be actively adding good vets to the roster and good youth

I think brown fits with the team I also don’t think he will be overly expensive

also it’s common knowledge that the sens wanted to keep stone he is the one who left

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If you trade Brown and/or Paul, you can use the assets you get for them to improve the team.

I think the Sens need to stop worrying about filling their bottom pairings/lines with vets. They need to start focusing on adding a) prospects ready to make the jump and b) impact players. We have enough prospects that can come up and contribute on the 3rd line next year. Im not saying Brown and Paul aren’t valuable, but you ideally don’t want them in your top 6, and yet we constantly have to play them there. Imagine the difference between Stu - Pinto - Brown and Stu - Pinto - Giroux, just as an example. This is a better development strategy because you actually support your young core at the top of the line up, and then the prospects that you play get 3rd line minutes instead of facing pressure to become scoring forwards right off the bat. Yeah you’re downgrading in some areas like the PK for the time being, but it gives guys like Formenton the opportunity to take over, which is inevitably going to happen anyway.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like Brown, but the thought of possibly paying him 5x5 seems really expensive. Too much money and probably a bit too long. But I also don't like the idea of moving him for what would be a late 1st rounder. A team would need to add to that to get my interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad