Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
You mean Gardiner?

I think Carolina would view Stepan as an upgrade to Dzingel at this point and would happily get out of Gardiners remaining 3 x 4.05, especially with Bean and Keane waiting in the wings. I'm not sure if Dzingel even plays for them in a healthy lineup.

No... haha

But really we could use a top 4 capable D to keep Reilly and Coburn off the ice and help take pressure off Branny and TC. I also hope it would troll leaf fans.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No... haha

But really we could use a top 4 capable D to keep Reilly and Coburn off the ice and help take pressure off Branny and TC. I also hope it would troll leaf fans.

Hopefully Wolanin cant help do so. Didnt realize you meant Mo lol. I before E, btw ;)

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Hopefully Wolanin cant help do so. Didnt realize you meant Mo lol. I before E, btw ;)

This board and grammar I tell ya... LoL

If Ottawa were to retain 1.75 mil on Stepan (which prorated that’s 350K or less) it would give Carolina over a million in cap flexibility plus two expiring contracts. I also prefer Wolanin as a 7 at the moment. Keep him fresh and hungry. (And off Seattle’s radar)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This board and grammar I tell ya... LoL

If Ottawa were to retain 1.75 mil on Stepan (which prorated that’s 350K or less) it would give Carolina over a million in cap flexibility plus two expiring contracts. I also prefer Wolanin as a 7 at the moment. Keep him fresh and hungry. (And off Seattle’s radar)
Wolanin will be one of our protected D along with Zaitsev and Chabot.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I think the case is clear here. If Stepan wants out, he can go. No trading of assets required. He's FA at the end of the year, cap is not a problem and we have a taxi squad and waivers. I'd be OK with sinking the cost personally as a GM. Dorion took a shot at a veteran C to help out, didn't work out for a variety of reasons.

He can go. It's not a hinderance, and shouldn't really be a story. We're not talking about Malkin here. Its a 2M player who is only hurting himself in the future with his decisions.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Zib, Strome, Chytil > Stepan and Howden is still young (22), they should just develop him instead of taking Stepan. That being said, he played for them for years and that's where he had his success so you never know.

The only one I could see is Detroit but IMO that would be a mistake. I'd rather have Larkin-Namestnikov-Fabbri-Filppula downt he middle
Just because a few teams have some cap space, doesn't mean they plan on spending it, especially for a player on the cusp of his career. Some of the teams being mentioned as potential trading partners don't tend to spend to the maximum cap.

I'm sure if Ottawa attached assets they'd be interested, but why do that? NJD is an example of a team that saw teams with cap issues and took advantage of the tough economic conditions.

Why dig a deeper hole and waste even more assets? Wait until either its closer to the deadline and hope a team has some injury voids to fill, or move him at the TDL. Probably not going to get much, but best not to sink deeper in the quagmire. A lot of the players mentioned as trade targets are probably not worth the effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
We gotta upgrade on connor Brown for someone with some offense

Any decent goal scoring wingers available? I know theres some talk of Rakell and Silfverberg from the Ducks, not sure if they would be the right fit but guys of similar caliber would be perfect

Tkachuk - Batherson
Stützle - XXX
Paul - Dadonov

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pierre “amazing offseason” dorion’s offseason is going to end up being 2 seconds for paquette and coburn.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I disagree. Zub and zaitsev aren't great top-4 options.

Theyre passable to us at this point, especially considering their counterparts are quite good for their roles. Moreover, I shudder to think our defense again should one of the top 2 LDs get hurt. We need reinforcement on D, hopefully at least Wolanin comes back strong if we can’t get a trade going.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
This is too funny... Remember this???

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 6.24.20 PM.png

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I disagree. Zub and zaitsev aren't great top-4 options.
Zub has shown everything you want for a second pairing. Until someone passes one of them then those two are our best options. You better get used to it as they will be the top 2 RD for a least a couple years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pierre “amazing offseason” dorion’s offseason is going to end up being 2 seconds for paquette and coburn.
And acquiring 2 players in Watson and J Brown that helps us meet expansion exposure requirements.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ugh genius
You need to meet the requirements. As it stands we have the following players who will meet requirements.

FORWARDS 2 must be exposed
White
Brown
Dadonov
Paul
Watson
Tierney

DEFENCE 1 must be exposed
Chabot
Zaitsev
Brown

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And acquiring 2 players in Watson and J Brown that helps us meet expansion exposure requirements.
That appears to be Brown's only useful attribute so far. Watson has been good, but for sake of argument could you not have picked up any 2 players that meet the requirements for free via UFA?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That appears to be Brown's only useful attribute so far. Watson has been good, but for sake of argument could you not have picked up any 2 players that meet the requirements for free via UFA?
You would have to give them 2 year deals minimum and be comfortable enough with them and there salary to have them on the roster next year. Having Watson at 1.5M and Brown at 1.2M doesn’t kill the budget and they both bring depth. Signing a UFA for 2 years for less than that would be vey hard.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You would have to give them 2 year deals minimum and be comfortable enough with them and there salary to have them on the roster next year. Having Watson at 1.5M and Brown at 1.2M doesn’t kill the budget and they both bring depth. Signing a UFA for 2 years for less than that would be vey hard.
Gotcha. Makes sense you need 2 years since otherwise they'd be FA's again. I do like Watson as a capable stop gap depth player.

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Gotcha. Makes sense you need 2 years since otherwise they'd be FA's again. I do like Watson as a capable stop gap depth player.
Yup. Watson and Brown are cheap depth. The last thing we want is Dorion having to go out at seasons end and trade assets for contracts just to meet the expansion requirements. We are set now. We can expose C. Brown, Tierney or Dadanov (if he doesn’t pick it up) along with Watson.
Our 7 protected Fs will probably be

Tkachuk
Paul
Batherson
White
L Brown
2 of Dadonov/Tierney/C Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad