Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've been pushing this for awhile, but I'd love to see us go after Ryan Pulock. Young enough that he fits with our core group and he would be a really great partner for Chabot. The Islanders have young guys they need to re-sign but they have zero cap space right now. If we try and take Ladd off their hands at the same time it would become a much more viable trade.

NYI:
Pulock
Ladd (with the intention of a buyout)

OTT:
2021 unprotected 1st (the biggest piece we'd give up, probably will end up a top 3 pick)
Thomson/Kleven (would probably end up being Kleven who's more of a Lou Lamoriello type defenseman)

We'd maybe have to add another pick/prospect, but this would be the starting point. It would set our D up for the foreseeable future, with the ideal line up looking something like:

Chabot - Pulock
Sanderson - JBD
Brannstrom - Zaitsev/Zub

I love Pulock but I'm not giving up a top 5 pick for him, especially since the Isles screwed up and gave him a ridiculous bridge deal where he's going to be a UFA at the end of next season.

Lou is an idiot and like Murray/Dorion with Stone, put himself in a bad situation by signing Pulock to a deal that takes him to UFA early. Will either need to overpay Pulock to stay (UFA contract) or he'll walk as a UFA. Should have signed him long-term.

Last edited:

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I love Pulock but I'm not giving up a top 5 pick for him, especially since the Isles screwed up and gave him a ridiculous bridge deal where he's going to be a UFA at the end of next season.

Lou is an idiot and like Murray/Dorion with Stone, put himself in a bad situation by signing Pulock to a deal that takes him to UFA early. Will either need to overpay Pulock to stay (UFA contract) or he'll walk as a UFA. Should have signed him long-term.

If it were top 5 I think we could maybe swap one-for-one. Isles need a future 2C and Beniers seems like the kind of guy they'd want to fill that role. It's definitely a costly move, but I'd rather make a bigger splash like this vs. trading for guys that are marginally better than what we have in the system.

Very fair on the contract, the Isles definitely bungled that. Totally get hesitancy from what's happened in the past, but we're in a much better position to sell players on staying long-term then we were before. I also don't see any teams offering him more than $6.5 mil in free agency so it's not like we'd be getting into a bidding war for him, it would just be selling him on staying in Ottawa for this teams peak. Before we were having to convince guys like Stone to spend their peak years on a rebuilding team. Won't be the case by the time Pulock becomes a UFA.

Alternatively, I'd also be game to try and scoop Dougie Hamilton during free agency this year. Doubt we'd be one of his top choices, but he'd be another great partner for Chabot.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
If it were top 5 I think we could maybe swap one-for-one. Isles need a future 2C and Beniers seems like the kind of guy they'd want to fill that role. It's definitely a costly move, but I'd rather make a bigger splash like this vs. trading for guys that are marginally better than what we have in the system.

Very fair on the contract, the Isles definitely bungled that. Totally get hesitancy from what's happened in the past, but we're in a much better position to sell players on staying long-term then we were before. I also don't see any teams offering him more than $6.5 mil in free agency so it's not like we'd be getting into a bidding war for him, it would just be selling him on staying in Ottawa for this teams peak. Before we were having to convince guys like Stone to spend their peak years on a rebuilding team. Won't be the case by the time Pulock becomes a UFA.

Alternatively, I'd also be game to try and scoop Dougie Hamilton during free agency this year. Doubt we'd be one of his top choices, but he'd be another great partner for Chabot.

We have some unreal museums, so we might just be in the hunt!!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

There’s that pesky salary cap thingy which prevented Lou from locking up Pulock long term.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
M. Tkachuk or Forsberg for me

I dont really see an elite 1 C available. Were not getting Eichel and I dont think Barkov is getting moved.

Only guy I've speculated on is Hertl in the instance SJS tries to blow things up. But even he isn't the top end 1C, although he would still be a great fit

Other than that you might see Getz or Malkin become available who are short term guys anyway.

I'd just keep building an elite winger core and hope Norris Pinto and Stützle grow into top 6 centers

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have zero interest in Matthew Tkachuk. This is Brady’s team and I think bringing in his older brother could mess with that dynamic.

Reactions: Altimus

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I have zero interest in Matthew Tkachuk. This is Brady’s team and I think bringing in his older brother could mess with that dynamic.

Personally I think the opposite. This is Brady's team, doing whatever it takes to get his brother here would further prove that.

I mean, it's his brother, and is probably the person closest to him in his life. He also happens to be a dominant player who plays the style were trying to build.

The Tkachuk Brothers on the same team would be one of the greatest hockey stories, and a terrifying match up for opponent.

If there's a chance Matthew becomes available, you go for it 100%. The brothers, the family, the fans and the organization all win

Trading for any high end player can mess with how the room gel's so I dont want to discredit your argument. Brady and Matthew just seem so close, I think it would be great to see

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The other part of this is which Senator players are the most likely to get traded. Seller versus buyer seems more likely.

livepreview.aspx

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

I’ve wondered about that more than a normal person should...if it does change chemistry or dynamic would you do it?
You would have to assume they talk to the family extensively before attempting to try anything.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Personally I think the opposite. This is Brady's team, doing whatever it takes to get his brother here would further prove that.

I mean, it's his brother, and is probably the person closest to him in his life. He also happens to be a dominant player who plays the style were trying to build.

The Tkachuk Brothers on the same team would be one of the greatest hockey stories, and a terrifying match up for opponent.

If there's a chance Matthew becomes available, you go for it 100%. The brothers, the family, the fans and the organization all win

Trading for any high end player can mess with how the room gel's so I dont want to discredit your argument. Brady and Matthew just seem so close, I think it would be great to see

aaaaand this is where i usually end up on this

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Matthew is up for a new contract soon and likely to be as mounstrous as Brady's. This team needs cost controlled, reasonably paid players, not more guys they will have big trouble signing and potentially have to move while their value is low. Count me out on that.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we beat Calgary in this series, I wonder if their management does a firesale/fires coaches lol. We might be able to poach some pieces off them

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Matthew is up for a new contract soon and likely to be as mounstrous as Brady's. This team needs cost controlled, reasonably paid players, not more guys they will have big trouble signing and potentially have to move while their value is low. Count me out on that.
Next season Matty is getting 9m and is an RFA so his negotiating rights start at 9 mil per.
I see brady more in the 7 range.

That being said, I dont see how we could get him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Next season Matty is getting 9m and is an RFA so his negotiating rights start at 9 mil per.
I see brady more in the 7 range.

That being said, I dont see how we could get him.
I think Brady ultimately commands a bit more than that if he signs long term, but either way, I don't see this team being able to fit in both of them without making things difficult. They'd be paying Matt at his peak value for his Senators tenure and that's a luxury they don't really have.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Matthew Tkachuk is a pipe dream. Even if there is a rift in the Calgary room, Tkachuk is the last guy to go. Monahan and Gaudreau would be on the market way before he is.

I don't think we're going to be in the mix for any of these tier A guys that might be on the move (Eichel, Barkov, etc).

Our core is going to be Stützle, Chabot and Tkachuk. Those will be the three guys. I'd look to surround them with some skilled, secondary players.

The ideal target is someone like Jaden Schwartz. Upcoming UFA, young enough that he has 4-5 solid years left in him, and a guy who can put up 55+ points in a supporting role.

He'd be a great complement if Stützle moves to centre. Schwartz - Stützle - Batherson.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Bottom line: we could have Cup winning goaltending if it stabilizes.
We could have Cup winning defense if draft picks reach their potential.
We don't have Cup winning forwards unless some magical evolution of prospects happens.

Any moves not adding top end forwards could improve the team, but unless they are parlayed into forwards, we come up short.
And unless there is help, Dorion will never on his own be able to assemble requisite talent, unless he gets lucky in the draft and the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad