Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I guess we can start to think about not being bad when we actually have a core group in place that shows some promise at the NHL level. Right now we don't have that.

All we have is Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk [for now...] and a bunch of hopes and dreams.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they should be insulating that beginning of the core. Derek Stepan, Ron Hainsey, Artem Anisimov and Nikita Zaitsev is not how you do that

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I guess we can start to think about not being bad when we actually have a core group in place that shows some promise at the NHL level. Right now we don't have that.

All we have is Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk [for now...] and a bunch of hopes and dreams.

Does a “core group” just develop in a vacuum or do you have to create an environment where players can actually learn and develop, on and off the ice?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Boro was asked by an executive to give his honest take on the org, Boro did, Boro was no longer deemed to be Sen for Life material.
I don't think there's much that gives me less faith in the situation improving that this sort of thing. Same with Jim Little.

Melnyk just isn't willing to put his ego aside and hear what he needs to hear.

Say what you will about finances, and clearly that is a major problem no matter what, but they really need to clean house of this dictatorship line of thinking from Melnyk.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
at what point do you stop trying to be bad? they tore it down, there's nothing left to tear down. Stepan is like an american anisimov. The only way you take stepan's contract is by getting an A+ asset attached to it
Not an A+ but an asset for sure.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think there's much that gives me less faith in the situation improving that this sort of thing. Same with Jim Little.

Melnyk just isn't willing to put his ego aside and hear what he needs to hear.

Say what you will about finances, and clearly that is a major problem no matter what, but they really need to clean house of this dictatorship line of thinking from Melnyk.
There is some good news on the Melnyk ego front. For the past 6-8 weeks Melnyk has been talking to the lower level staff, such as part time coaches, business side staff. These have just been casual, how are you doing kind of conversations

Reactions: Gesus

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The Canes bought a draft pick for about 4M. It’s not the cap hit.

It has to be about the cap hit a little bit though. They have 17 NHL contracts for next year and they need at least 20 (3-6 more contracts). They have $1.1M in cap space plus hossa's LTIR which give them $6.3-6.4M in cap space to get 3-6 more contracts. Moving a $6.5M cap hit is valuable

Gimme Maccelli

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Does a “core group” just develop in a vacuum or do you have to create an environment where players can actually learn and develop, on and off the ice?

It would help to have a small group of quality veterans on the team - I don't think anybody is arguing that.

We couldn't keep the young veterans we had [Karlsson, Stone, Duchene] largely due to financial considerations. From there it made sense to move on from the likes of Pageau, Brassard, Phaneuf, Ryan etc.

The franchise is in a difficult spot. I'm sure any player with a NTC has Ottawa on it and we certainly aren't going to be a landing spot for a UFA that has any other options. Some of this is their own fault, but the end result is that we aren't going to be getting the pick of the litter when it comes to adding vets.

That said, I'm sure that some effort is going to be made to put veteran players in place over the next few weeks. I'm very confident that at least two of our 2nd round pick will be moved for players. Whether this ends up being beneficial or not is another matter.

We just don't have access to the sort of players people want. So maybe Derek Stepan or Kris Russell are the best we can do.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Im expecting something pretty big happening. Perhaps on the trade front.
174687-Buckled-Up.jpg

Reactions: Gesus

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Zaitsev waived his to come to Ottawa

That's true, but only after DJ Smith convinced him to do it.

So I guess players with personal relationships to members of the coaching staff are another avenue we can go down for veteran help. Maybe that opens the door for the team to take a hard run at signing a guy like Matt Martin. He's played for both DJ Smith and Jack Capuano.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is very believable. I would trust Boro on this

Boro is a stand up guy, Melnyk not so much.

Funny, I was listening to some Eagles this afternoon & it reminded me when Melnyk paid the Eagles to come to Ottawa to play for the Season Ticket holders for free, remember that? The city & fans loved the guy at that time. Man has he ever fallen off a cliff, more like Mount Everest & sinking into the Mariana Trench, could be the most hated man in the city now.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That's true, but only after DJ Smith convinced him to do it.

So I guess players with personal relationships to members of the coaching staff are another avenue we can go down for veteran help. Maybe that opens the door for the team to take a hard run at signing a guy like Matt Martin. He's played for both DJ Smith and Jack Capuano.

I do agree though, Ottawa's going to be in tough to try to get some non-drafted talent. They can definitely offer opportunity some free agents. 3 one way contracts at forward currently

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boro is a stand up guy, Melnyk not so much.

Funny, I was listening to some Eagles this afternoon & it reminded me when Melnyk paid the Eagles to come to Ottawa to play for the Season Ticket holders for free, remember that? The city & fans loved the guy at that time. Man has he ever fallen off a cliff, more like Mount Everest & sinking into the Mariana Trench, could be the most hated man in the city now.
I went to that. It was great. His wife was a big Eagles fan apparently...
Things have really changes on how Melnyk is perceived. ...

Reactions: aragorn

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
at what point do you stop trying to be bad? they tore it down, there's nothing left to tear down. Stepan is like an american anisimov. The only way you take stepan's contract is by getting an A+ asset attached to it
Is he that bad? We have zero center depth. If we could get him for free so that he can help us reach the cap floor would it not be worth it?

Also should mention Anisinov had an ok season for us last year. He’s obviously past his prime but is still an NHL player.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Is he that bad? We have zero center depth. If we could get him for free so that he can help us reach the cap floor would it not be worth it?

Also should mention Anisinov had an ok season for us last year. He’s obviously past his prime but is still an NHL player.

1. He's playing at a 3C level. With Tierney, Norris, Brown, White, Paul, Anisimov (plus one of Stuetzle/Byfield) already.... not sure he's an upgrade. And at a $6.5M cap hit, he should be tied to an asset to unload him

2. Same situation with Stepan, and they produced at similar rates. Should also be noted that we got Anisimov by dumping Zack Smtih, in context of what it would take to get Stepan

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Has anyone checked how competitive and successful teams achieve this? Is it similar to our spend as little as possible on everything and hope and pray method?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
1. He's playing at a 3C level. With Tierney, Norris, Brown, White, Paul, Anisimov (plus one of Stuetzle/Byfield) already.... not sure he's an upgrade. And at a $6.5M cap hit, he should be tied to an asset to unload him

2. Same situation with Stepan, and they produced at similar rates. Should also be noted that we got Anisimov by dumping Zack Smtih, in context of what it would take to get Stepan

I feel like a lot of this board doesn't understand the Sens real needs re: hitting the floor. As much as the Sens might be helping out a cap strapped team by taking on a player with a high cap hit, by taking on one with a low salary (real money), the other team is helping us out just as much. It's a two way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad